How is this photo done?

Top right hand corner of the top left most photo, could possibly be a slight dog ear, which would suggest a collage of actual prints.

Or it could be the edge of the ceiling light visible in other photos.

I can't see any other shadows or telltales of the image actually having been made from arranged prints, so I'm inclined to say it was digitally created.

Doesn't actually matter if it was digital or prints, the technique and effect are essentially the same.

Hockneys 'cameraworks' book of polaroid collages is fascinating...

Here is a short on creating a digital collage from dust & grooves. This is not of Eilon Paz, the photographer of the image you posted. Eilon uses a canon dslr, so ....

Edited by inoneeye
  • Like 3

n e y e

It's all been said above. I like the video that @inoneeye linked to showing exactly how it's done. I looked the book up on-line and I love the variety in photo styles, lenses, etc.

I looked at copies for sale on eBay, thinking it might be a good reference book for my small collection of books by photographers. Suffice it to say, Camerworks isn't being given away!

It is very easy to make a collage in Photoshop. Outline (marquis) all or part of an image, copy, open a new page (first time) and paste. A new page opens exactly the size of the clipboard you just created, which you then expand using the Canvas Size tool. Repeat, and each item you paste on the new canvas goes into its own layer, which you can move around, transform, rotate and change stacking order freely.
  • Like 1

Cameraworks? Don't understand.

Dust and Grooves seems a bit cheaper on Amazon than the ones advertised on E-ay.

Elion Paz's portfolios (including Dust and Grooves) on his website are well worth browsing. I hadn't realised that he's a professional photographer. His 'other' (travel, people) portfolios are IMHO just as varied and creative (and sometimes striking) as 'Dust and Grooves'.

Mike

I looked at copies for sale on eBay, thinking it might be a good reference book for my small collection of books by photographers. Suffice it to say, Camerworks isn't being given away!

Hockneys 'cameraworks' book of polaroid collages is fascinating...

Dust and Grooves seems a bit cheaper on Amazon than the ones advertised on E-ay.

Elion Paz's portfolios (including Dust and Grooves) on his website are well worth browsing. I hadn't realised that he's a professional photographer. His 'other' (travel, people) portfolios are IMHO just as varied and creative (and sometimes striking) as 'Dust and Grooves'.

Mike

Skipped right past Dust & Grooves, got onto Hockney. ha. I'll take a look around, thanks Mike.

• Like 1

Top right hand corner of the top left most photo, could possibly be a slight dog ear, which would suggest a collage of actual prints.

It looks like a copy from a printed book, complete with a gutter in the center. The notch in the upper right are the underlying pages. Of course, the entire image could be done in Photoshop, emulating a book.

There was no attempt to align and blend the edges. That would be easy enough in PTGui or other stitching software. You could even have the same person in several frames, and be otherwise seamless.

Mike

Spent some time on his website. He's doing nice work for sure. Didn't look at any of the photographic portfolio stuff beyond "West Africa I" & "Dust And Grooves", did some reading on Dust And Grooves the project and looked at his bio. Seeing he's done some distance "Adventure" style motorcycle travel, I also looked at his Insta-G page and F B page. Seems he's a friend of a friend of mine who is a world-renowned world moto adventure traveler. Next time I'm in NYC I might hit him up to see if he wants to have a drink. Ya never know, probably a cool guy to talk to.

• Like 1

It looks like a copy from a printed book, complete with a gutter in the center. The notch in the upper right are the underlying pages. Of course, the entire image could be done in Photoshop, emulating a book.

I was referring to the top left most image of the composition, I'd noticed that it was a photo of a book...

Though as you say, with digital manipulation, anything is possible.

Try doing a Google search for "joiner photography". It is said to have been started by David Hockney in the early 1980's, there are now thousands of examples out there. Back in the day it was done by sticking multiple photos on a mount to show movement through time, simplified now with software.

Thanks, never heard of joiner photography. Will check it out.

I presume "joiner" software refers to stitching (e.g., panorama) software. Stitching software distorts the segments so that they can be joined seamlessly, then un-distorts the composite, maintaining perspective and straight lines. No such attempt was made assembling the collage in the OP. The bookcase consists of at least three frames, joined at different angles and overlapping. It kinda' sorta' looks like a wall unit, but isn't.

The process used above is a lot simpler than stitching, and arguably more artistic in nature. We can talk about stitching/joining, but perhaps in another thread.

BoatComingThrough_385.thumb.jpg.0e4e8256fc770c1d0f0fd26c1c5efdda.jpg

I presume "joiner" software refers to stitching (e.g., panorama) software. Stitching software distorts the segments so that they can be joined seamlessly, then un-distorts the composite, maintaining perspective and straight lines. No such attempt was made assembling the collage in the OP. The bookcase consists of at least three frames, joined at different angles and overlapping. It kinda' sorta' looks like a wall unit, but isn't.

The process used above is a lot simpler than stitching, and arguably more artistic in nature. We can talk about stitching/joining, but perhaps in another thread.

I'm unaware of dedicated software for joiners and I can't see the need for any. All the usual programs allow the creation of montages/collages and that's all it requires. Ed's description of the picture in the OP shows the whole thinking and purpose. Any true alignment would defeat the object, reading the pic from left to right tells the story of an event. From choosing the record to sitting down to listen to it.

The attached photo is an attempt I made to show the passage of a boat around a canal junction (not wholly successfully), this was about five years ago and I never felt the need to repeat it.

Edited by Gerald Cafferty

FYI - - - I use Photoshop Elements 15, which has a feature to use a single image to create a stack of 12 of the same. Perhaps the OP image was created in a similar manner.

[ATTACH=full]1320659[/ATTACH]

Not really Michael the OP picture is clearly made up from lots of individual photos taken over a few minutes.

Any true alignment would defeat the object, reading the pic from left to right tells the story of an event. From choosing the record to sitting down to listen to it.

Good point. Additionally, while some of Hockney's collages are meant to show somewhat of a story or narrative, some of them are more "cubist" in effect, providing a conglomeration of perspectives from which to view a more static-seeming object or scene. Many of Hockney's collages create a strong dimensional effect.

"You talkin' to me?"

Some early panorama cameras had a rotating lens and a corresponding slit in front of a curved film plane. Since the lens rotated fairly slowly, it was a novelty for someone at one end of a line of people to run to the other end, thus appearing twice. That would be even easier today, and no running would be required. However it's already been done, and bears no repeating.

The rotating lens and slit produced a cylindrical projection, which is one of the options used when rendering a stitched panorama in software. In fact, each frame of a stitched panorama is first converted to a cylindrical (or spherical) projection for 2d) so that horizontal lines blend smoothly between frames.

Edited by Ed_Ingold

Some early panorama cameras had a rotating lens and a corresponding slit in front of a curved film plane. Since the lens rotated fairly slowly, it was a novelty for someone at one end of a line of people to run to the other end, thus appearing twice. That would be even easier today, and no running would be required. However it's already been done, and bears no repeating.

The rotating lens and slit produced a cylindrical projection, which is one of the options used when rendering a stitched panorama in software. In fact, each frame of a stitched panorama is first converted to a cylindrical (or spherical) projection for 2d) so that horizontal lines blend smoothly between frames.

You can still buy a Horizon(t) swing lens panoramic camera. You'd need your running shoes on if you wanted to appear twice in the shot though, the exposure isn't as long as all that. Interestingly, this is one of the few things where film still somewhat beats digital, it's easy to spin something around and pull film past it at a set rate. It's not so easy to handle the amount of data generated by doing the same thing with a digital sensor, so rotation speeds have to be slower, to allow the back end hardware to keep up!

It would be equally hard to stretch several pieces of film, taken with a conventional camera, into cylindrical projections so that they could be joined seamlessly. Like building a house, you pick the right tool for the job and the right job for the tool.

A rotating lens and cylindrical film plane was first used shortly after the invention of flexible film, in the 1880's. With the slow film and lenses of the era, there was ample time to run to the other end. More recently many cell phones (and the A7m2 cameras) had a panorama mode, which took many exposures while you move the camera from right to left. When only a small portion from the center of each exposure is used for each segment, it is not necessary to produce a cylindrical projection digitally. Geometry does the job for you.