How in gods name is this done?

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by prakash_nair|1, Nov 14, 2017.

1. The lighting is incredible and the colors are so rich! He is using flash right? In camera?

Moderator Note to OP:
    Please refer to Terms of Use - you may only publish images which you have made yourself

Link to image supplied -

The Birth of Booze - BRIAN FINKE

2. Norman

Norman Norman T Naffington

flash and a load of makeup. hahahahaha

3. First of all, I think it's in violation of photo.net policy to post a photo that you did not capture yourself.

In any case, I know that Brian Finke has used (or still uses?) a Nikon D800. He lights up the images with 2 Quantum Q flashes, both of which are handheld (he holds one, while an assistant holds the other). .

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  4. Norman

i knew that but as the OP only joined today i thought i’d cut them some slack.

as u did. cool.

5. It just looks so digital posterized to me.

6. William Michael

William Michael Moderator Staff Member

For clarity, it appears that the OP joined in 2013, but that is irrelevant - pointing out the terms of use concerning what may and may not be published is relevant and also useful.

WW

7. Norman

really, every time i click on the OP’s name i get something completely different.

there’s something fishy going on.

8. To me, the images, in style, color, and even to some degree in content, have a Norman Rockwell feel. The particular use of flash gives it an illustrated feel.

Uhooru likes this.
  9. ahhhh didn't know that my mistake.
    Joined in 13, but never posted. :D

10. You nailed it! Exactly what I am feeling as well.

11. All of the photos appear to have flash in them. In some, the flash worked well (for example this one), whereas in a few shots its seems overwhelming to me (this). Perhaps, the lighting would have been better without flash in some of them.

12. I feel the images have a rather sterile look to them which often comes with the over use of flash photography.

Sort of plastic and gimmicky without any atmosphere or feeling. .

steve_g|2 likes this.
  13. Yeah, that is what I was referring to, it looks flat, more lithographic than photographic, at least the first pic.

14. synchro sun