How do you keep from losing your lens cap

Other than shoving the lens cap in your pocket, what other ways do you use to keep from losing your cap. I tried

using one of those Gizmos that wrap around the lens while an extension cord with a sticky button is used to attach

the lens cap. They sell these in stores like Ritz or on eBay.

The problem I had with these is that the sticky button hardly ever sticks to the lens cap and the elastic part that is

supposed to wrap around the lens streches over time. Once I tried using crazy glue to get the sticky part to stick to

the lens cap, but the crazy glue ate right through the lens cap and things started looking kind of Ugly.

I also tried knotting the elastic part that is supposed to wrap around the lens so that it would fit tightly around the

lens but after a while it began looking like a hang-man's noose. Now I'm back to shoving the lens cap in my pocket

and hoping for the best. Any other ideas ?

<p>I used those "cap keeper" things when I first got into photography, but they got annoying.</p>

<p>Surprisingly, once I quit using any kind of cap retention device, I've never actually lost a single lens cap. Pockets work quite well.</p>

<p>I'm sure someone here will claim that the first thing they do when they get a new lens is throw the lens cap in a drawer and leave it there.</p>

<p>Like many others, I usually put it in my pocket. Later I go through a little "what the **** did I do with my lens cap" dance, rummage in my pockets, finally find it, and go on. Unless I left the cap in the carrying case, in which case I say, "Oh, ****, I lost it," and then get a nice surprise when I put the camera back in the case. Either way I very rarely lose caps.</p>

<p>I've lost almost half a dozen caps off my Canon 50 1.8 over the last couple years. Since Ritz shuttered up I've got no camera shop within 50 miles, so I finally ordered <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/156390-REG/Op_Tech_USA_1101521_52mm_Fast_Cap_Screw_in.html">one of these</a> a few weeks ago. So far it hasn't been too annoying.<br /> The caps pop off when I'm moving from spot to spot. Otherwise, when I'm shooting, the cap goes in my shirt pocket or, if no shirt pocket, in my right hip pocket. It's got to be a conscious action on your part. Pick a spot and use it every time. Same goes with car keys, except they go in the left hip pocket. Usually. Now where the...</p>

<p>+1 for pocket/same pocket. I also keep a spare in the bag, since one size fits all my lenses, including a few with step-up rings. I use generic caps, and keep the Nikon cap in the lens box with the hood, pouch, and instruction booklet for potential future resale. Tried several gadgets for retaining caps over the years, and IMO all were a PITA.</p>

<p>I've lost my share (maybe a bit more than my share) of them. I put them in my pocket. I mostly have lost them when they were on the lens. I would bump into something when the camera was over my shoulder and the cap would fall off. Not the screw-on type, the clip-on type. I have never lost a screw-on cap.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I buy 'em by the dozen, or very nearly so since it saves on shipping. The cheaper ones are a buck or two and the inner "pinch" ones that you need for lenses with big hoods are usually less than $4 or 5.<br>

I keep all the cheap lens caps for various sizes in a zip plastic bag, so I likely have one to fit when I buy a new lens (old DDR or Soviet lenses for example). I have well over a hundred lenses on or off camera bodies, so it's nice to keep them covered from dust. I buy rear lens caps the same way (M42, Exakta, EOS, Nikon, etc.). That way when I swap lenses I have extras with me in my bag so I don't have to worry about juggling around from one lens to another.<br>

Ironically, since I started getting the cheap ones, I haven't lost a single lens cap. Is this karma or what? I keep the original "brand name" caps with the other original packaging for when I might sell the lens or such.</p>

<p>The ones I'm using when I'm shooting I always stick in a pocket, always the same pocket on a given day of whatever I'm wearing when I'm out shooting.</p>

<p>There are little cord things to attach to the cap and the lens, but I find that the cap dangling around always gets in the way,so I just stick those in a box in case I ever decide I might need one.</p><div>00Uhrr-179265584.jpg.bd02e0d9461f139f77a141f0663dea0c.jpg</div>

<p>I only use the lens caps to store the lens. I think the shade does a fine job of protecting the front element while in use.<br>

I toss the caps into my bag when the lens goes on.</p>

<p>The DA40 LTD lens cap is very odd. With the near-dome protection of the integral lens shade I don't see much use for the screw in cap, to be honest.</p>

<p>When I'm out in the field, I usually hang a small pouch on my belt. It holds anything I need between lens changes; my lens brush & cloth, angle viewfinder, remote cable, extra memory card and my lens cap. With these little doodads in a single place, I've stopped forgetting them along the trail.</p>

<p>While I use the pocket method, that doesn't preclude the periodic loss for me either. However, once I was fortunate enough to find a "lost" cap at one time that happened to be a match in thread diameter so I finished the day even. It did lead to a number of questions about using Canon lenses on a Minolta camera.</p>

<p>If you use, and lose, relatively standard size caps, check out KEH.com's bulk item section. They sell generic used caps in bulk at low prices. Probably not a great deal by itself, owing to shipping, but because they bundle items under one shipping cost, it's a good thing to throw into an order if you're getting something else. They sell bulk straps and filters too. Whenever I order a lens I try to throw in a few odd items. Check out their "as is" section too.</p>

<p>On some of my cameras I use the storebought lens cap keeper you described. The one with elastic loop that fits around the lens barrel. Never had a problem with mine. Maybe yours was a lemon. I did make sure the lens cap was nice and clean before attaching the sticky adhesive button. And when I attached that, I was careful to put it dead center and really really press down hard for at least a minute before letting up. That worked ok for me.</p>

<p>On some other cameras I use the lens cap keeper that has the cord that attaches to one of your camera lugs. That type has worked OK, at least I have never lost a cap yet.</p>

<p>On some other cameras I made my own, not being willing to spend good $$$ on storebought lens cap keepers. I took a 6-7 inch orange nylon tie-down strip (the kind that is tapered on one end and had the little locking slot on the other). I slipped the tapered end through the camera lug strap and then passed it back through the locking end and tightened it down. Not all the all the way tight, there is plenty of room for the strap to move around. But tight enough to make a nice little loop. Then I pulled the tapered end around to the front of my "normal" lens (with cap attached) and trimmed the end so it was the right length for that lens. Then I used a good bead of super strength glue to glue the end of the nylon tie-down strap to the center of the lens cap. Oh yes, I also made sure the lens cap was clean and dry first. I then positioned a book or something on top of the whole thing to keep it stationary while the glue hardened. I left it that way for at least 24 hours so the glue would completely harden and get a good set. After that it was fine. My new DIY lens cap keeper works fine, just as good as a commercial one. The nylons tiedown strip is light, strong, and tough, and is not likely to break on me. The only PROBLEM with this setup is that the lens cap is now effectively cabled to the camera, so I'm pretty much tied to using that normal lens all the time, but thats currently not a problem.</p>

<p>It is a bummer to lose a lens cap. I lost the cap that goes on my 400mm Nikkor AF lens one night when I was out taking moon pictures. I still have not gotten a new cap, but am using a 77mm UV filter as the lens cap.</p>

<p>I used to worry about losing lens caps, and had all my lenses equipped with those little leashes that let them dangle when uncapped.<br>

However, now I only cap the lens when it's being cased. While mounted on the camera and out shooting, the cap is in the bag, out of sight out of mind (out of chances to lose it).</p>

<p>The kind of reason I shoot out of a vest- a former pheasant hunting vest that works better for me than a dedicated photo vest. Lens cover comes off with left hand into left side pocket there with small cord remote which goes on L side of Nikon. Also a small flashlight and viewing card. Right holds blower, brush, cleaning cloth, cleaning pads. Shell slots hold AA and AAA batteries instead of 12 guage shells. Dont need the lens slots of a dedicated camera vest, I carry a bag. Did a faceplant coming back from a shoot in the dark last week and am glad body and lenses protected in bag. I can loose the caps if walking about with camera out, but use a hood for protection then and keep cap off and I miss fewer shots that way too. Everything always in its place and a place for everything. Mom is smiling.</p>

<p>Many of my 'exotic' or ' special' original caps (Leica metal caps for example) are replaced with cheap generic ones for daily use. Other caps - and those expensive, loose-fitting bayonet hoods - may have home-made (elastic) loops fitted.</p>