General Purpose Lens

friskybongo

<p>Hi All,</p>

<p>Need your advice. I just received my Canon 80D(!) and want to purchase a general purpose walk around prime lens. Something small, lightweight, that I can use for family shots (including my 5 dogs) in the house plus outdoor pictures of general images – not landscapes. I guess something that approximates a normal 50mm lens on a crop body.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I’m considering the 24mm STM, 40mm STM and 50mm f/1.8 STM but don’t want to duplicate ranges I already have with my current lenses: 10-22mm, 100mm macro, 70-200 f/4 and 400mm f/5.6. The 24mm might be too close to the tail end of the 10-22 and the 50mm might be too narrow plus I’ve read some bad things about the build quality although it does allow about 1.3 more stops over the 24mm and 40mm. <br>

I’m thinking the 40mm is the way to go but would welcome your expertise and experience.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thank you.</p>

<p>As James mentions, the 40mm STM is a very good lens, but on a crop sensor body the 24mm STM might make more sense as a walk around lens. <br>

You might want to rent either the 24mm or the 40mm (or both for that matter) and try them out. I think your assessment of the 50mm f/1.8 is correct. Not as nice a lens and, for your purposes, a bit too long in my opinion.<br>

I went a slightly different route and got the EF 28mm f/2.8 IS. More expensive and slightly larger but better in every category if the focal length works for you.<br>

JD</p>

<p>I owned the 40mm f/2.8 pancake as well as the original 35mm f/2 and the older 50mm f/1.8 II.<br>

I sold the 40mm as I liked the slightly wider, slightly faster 35mm more, despite the (relative) larger size compared to the 40. My next favorite lens on a crop sensor camera is indeed the 24mm f/2.8.</p>

<p>I'd recommend the 35mm f/2 IS or the 24mm f/2.8 IS. Look for either used (from reputable sources) or refurbished from Canon for some cost savings. </p>

<p>Don't forget the 2 x 28s: 28mm f1.8 and f2.8 IS. 1st is not very good on full frame but will probably be good on APS-C. The 28mm f2.8 IS is even better optically than the 24mm IS. 40mm pancake (64mm FOV on 80D) strikes me as a bit long for an everyday lens.</p>
Robin Smith

<p>Thanks everyone for your input. I've just ordered the 24mm STM.<br>

FYI: One thing I just noticed is that the 24mm STM is an EF-S lens while the 40mm STM is EF so will fit either crop or full frame bodies. Doesn't matter to me since I don't plan on upgrading to full frame. Just thought you should know.</p>

<p>Personally I would find the 24 a little bit wide, even on the APS-C, but <em>chacun</em> à <em>son goût</em>.<br>

My own favorite APS-C prime is the 35mm f/2 lens(es).<br>

However, for a very considerable amount of flexibility in a single, all-purpose, "walk-around" lens, it's almost impossible to do better than the EF-S 15-85mm IS. It has many virtues and its few vices are easily fixed for the rare occasions where they do matter.<br>

Don't let questions of ritual purity impede your shooting....</p>

<p>[[Personally I would find the 24 a little bit wide, even on the APS-C]]<br>

<br>

One of my favorite film cameras was the Canonet QL17 GIII which I think explains my preference for the 24mm on APS-C (over the 28mm)</p>

<p>i have the 24stm its a good lens and on my 100D/SL1 it will fit in a jacket pocket which it was fitted permanently <br>

until i get the 35mmF2is....if you are thinking of indoor shots you will find the extra light gathering of the F2 not to mention the IS on still subjects useful...35mm is about a standard lens on full frame </p>