Found this little guy on a trail near Bidwell Creek

Discussion in 'Macro' started by jasonluttrell, Jul 18, 2019.

1. marykonchar, bgelfand and jimradja like this.
  2. Good Heavens, what is it? She seems to have an attitude!

bgelfand likes this.
  3. I thought maybe it was some kind of hellgramite, but apparently not.

I too am curious and a little glad I haven't run into it before and also glad this is a macro shot :rolleyes:

4. I don't know what type of caterpillar it is, but I have seen others use this defense. the protrusions seem to have two purposes in the ones I have witnessed. One, they look like horns which could deter some predators. They also expel a strong scent which could deter other predators.

5. Thanks very much, Laura.
    I've never seen one before.

Laura Weishaupt likes this.
  6. Laura Weishaupt likes this.
  7. No problem, happy to assist. What I found most interesting is that the eggs are also poisonous. It's a fine example of chemical warfare waged by plants and bugs in a mutually beneficial relationship.

Tony Parsons likes this.
  8. Tony Parsons

Tony Parsons Norfolk and Good

I looked it up on Google Images - best it could come up with was 'Flower' ! Ho hum.

9. Really? I get an entire scrollable page of images searching both the caterpillar and the butterfly. Maybe I'm doing something different.

Tony Parsons likes this.
  10. Tony Parsons

Tony Parsons Norfolk and Good

Mayhap I did not express myself well - I right clicked on the image, then selected 'Search Google for Image'.

11. Ah, well, we were doing something different. Your method never would have occurred to me, so thank you for the clarification. It's a cool caterpillar and I'm glad that the OP brought it to our collective attention.

Tony Parsons likes this.
  12. Lovely image, yes, same butterfly, not exactly, well, no. Close, but not the one. Bill says his is a Black swallowtail. The spots aren't right for the Pipevine swallowtail, and there are a few other differences. I understand why you think they are the same, they are very similar.

Here is a link to descriptions of morphological characters and good photos of the Pipevine. There is also a nice image of the namesake plant.
    pipevine swallowtail - Battus philenor

There are a few swallowtail butterflies in my yard now, and if I see the Pipevine I'll definitely post an image.

bgelfand likes this.