film through airport security

i asked this question already about taking Ilford HP5 400iso film through the security equipment at airports and was

told that the x-ray and scanning machines would not damage the film. what about if the film is already exposed, is

there a possibility it will mess up the exposures? thanks, oskar

It doesn't matter much whether the film was exposed or not. If the X-rays are going to fog it, they'll fog it. If not high enough to fog the film, it won't matter much.

The one exception, which favors unexposed film, is that the effects of fogging can sometimes be minimized by downrating film and giving it appropriately less development. For example, if a roll of unexposed HP5+ was left in checked baggage it was probably exposed to enough radiation to fog it. But by rating it at 200 and giving it appropriately less development, the effects of fogging would be reduced. Whether it's worth bothering with depends on circumstances. If it was your only available roll of film and you needed to use it during a trip, sure, it'd be a useful trick to keep in mind.

I use lead lined bags through the carry-on security screening. If I place the bags at the side of my equipment bag, the x-rays are able to go through the top and bottom and the TSA can visualize the contents of the bag and it passes without a problem. If the lead linned bag is on the bottom or top of my equipment bag, the x-rays obsure the contents and I end up with a physical inspection. Sometimes the TSA agent looks at my flim and understands. Other times I have had 40 rolls of 35mm film wiped for the "explosive test". But I have never had a single roll of film or any of my sheet film fogged by airport security x-ray. On some of my trips I have had to go through security 6 times before the end of my journey.

Paul

I've had much the same experience as Paul, however I didn't use the lead lined bags. Was very nervous, but the 20 some

odd rolls I shot in Germany came through multiple trips through airport security without a hint of fog. Most was TriX400,

exposed at that ISO. And it was carried on, not checked through.

Mike Best

I use a small insulated lunch type tote bag to carry between 20 and 30 rolls of 35mm and/or 120. I just let go

through the security x-ray and haven't had a single problem with film rated 400 and under. If I was carrying

faster film I'd ask for a hand inspection which is quite easy with the zippered bag although I tend to purchase

>400 speed film at my destination if at all possible.

Paul

There has been good research out there recently. The results of current carry-on X-ray machines on 400 speed film are measurable. But they are not large enough to make any meaningful difference.

Remember that your film was already being fogged every time you flew with it before 9/11 and the TSA. That was by the cosmic rays that are MUCH stronger at 30,000 feet than at sea level. Nobody worried about that.

no problem at all as regular scanner won't hurt your film with inchecking. However if the films are in you main bagage which goes throught the regular X-rays would fog your film. Specialy film with high ISO and it's doesn't matter if it's exposed or not.

So have your film with you at the handbag and nothing happens, also it's possible to ask for a manual inspection in some places.