Film in camera bag organization

Does anyone have any useful techniques to keep film in order when it’s inside a camera bag? For example, if I label my film 1 through 10, what are some ways to be able to quickly locate the next roll (when I finish #1 and I’m ready to load #2) to minimize time fumbling around in my camera bag. Thank you all for the tips!

Why not carry a sharpie and wait until you've unloaded to number them? That way, you don't HAVE to worry about which one you're grabbing next.

Alternatively, carry numbered cards and use the first frame to photograph the roll number. I've been known to do that before, albeit with a lot more information than just a roll number, as it will stick around after processing.

• Like 2

I kind of forgot about the question about organizing film, but will add that I have more than one 70s/80s era wide strap that has elastic bands meant for holding film.

Also, Lowepro use to make nice film holders both as belt pouches and for "Street and Field" bags. I have some of the latter, and although I rarely use them they are handy if I want to organize my film a bit better than using other pouches in the bag.

IDK where numbering the films in advance should get me. - I could scribble something on their backing paper but will tear that away for processing and would process up to 4 rolls at a time in the same tank.

Numbering / labeling after exposure would make more sense to me. - For telling my cameras apart or spotting a faulty one, I'd rather resort to notching them differently.

I never shot heavily in a way where having films numbered would have provided a benefit. Taking 35mm slides, to tell a vacation story with 2 bodies demanded sorting them one by one anyhow. - Burning several rolls during a concert / festival was just for spotting 6 stunning keepers; portrait sessions or such the same.

When I was young, maybe 8th grade, I made a film organizer for the bottom of a bag that I had,

made from cardboard strips that cross, such that it makes a lattice of the right sized squares.

(This is common for some packaging, so you probably know what I mean.)

-- glen

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Unopened, unexposed film (120) in left pocket of trousers, exposed, marked and wrapped film (in tin foil) in right pocket.

Ongoing rolls in a small compartment in the camera bag.

I often work away a short distance from my bag and historically having to go back and forth to it for a roll or two of film has been my Achilles.

Garyh | AUS

Pentax 67 w/ ME | Swiss ALPA SWA12 A/D | ZeroImage 69 multiformat pinhole | Canon EOS 1N+PDB E1

Kodachrome, Ektachrome, Fujichrome E6 user since 1977.

Ilfochrome Classic Master print technician (2003-2010) | Hybridised RA-4 print production from Heidelberg Tango scans