Film end pulled out of 35mm canister

<p>At the end of a 35mm roll, the film pulled out of the canister, while in the camera. It is still in the camera. It is color C-41 film. I am not sure what to do with it. Nothing super important but it would be nice to save it somehow. My best idea is to try and develop it as B&W at home, I could load it in to the developing tank in a changing bag no problem. I've never done this, but my impression is that it is possible. My other idea was to load it into a re-usable bulk film canister (which I don't have and haven't used before), then send it to the lab. But then I wonder if the lab can deal with this? Thoughts?</p>

<p>Any competent photo lab is prepared to deal with this problem. Just take your camera to a one-hour shop in your area. Tell them that the 35mm film somehow tore off the spindle of the cassette and cannot be rewound.</p>

<p>They will take your camera and place it in a dark-bag along with an special cassette they have for just such occurrences. They simply unload your camera loading the exposed film inside the special cassette.</p>

<p>Again, any proficient lab will have these cassettes, they are required to load 35mm test films, a daily task, and process them as a quality control function. These exposed but unprocessed trips are not in a cassette thus they routinely handle film not in a cassette.</p>

<p>If the lab you choose can't accommodate, don't use them anymore, they are rookies.</p>

<p>As Alan says. This used to be a common problem. You'll probably have better luck at a camera store type shop than at the Big Box store that somehow still has a film developer.</p>

<p>Alternatively, if you don't already have a changing bag and a spare cassette around, this is your opportunity to get them ;)</p>

<p>If you have an expired roll of film or a 1 hour lab is nearby<br>

take the other cartrighe<br>

and in total darkness tape to film end to the short end sticvking out of the used cart from the 12 hour lab.<br>

if you have an expired roll of c-41 film pull out and discard most of the old<br>

expired film,\cut it off and tape THAT in total darkness to the film remaining in the cart.<br>

then rewing the film back in the cart.<br>

I would be hesitant to use any cart except a cart that once herld any c-41 film.<br>

the lab may simply NOT believe you and process the film as standard B&W<br>

this mayl result poor negatives or totally blank film.<br>

the "let the camera store do it is the best suggestion.</p>

<p>IIf I were working in a lab. I would never accept an unmarkred roll of film'<br>

unless the person was careful and could prove what he or she is sayong.<br>

and vagueness on the part of the customer would cause me to say NO NO<br>

the empty cart would be one form of proof.</p>

<p>I often cut a partly exposed roll of film near the cassette, roll up the exposed portion and wrap it in a large piece of black paper, or else wrap it in any paper and put it in a black film canister. This needs complete darkness, of course, but you have a changing bag. I use only C-41 now and my lab handles only C-41.</p>

<p>Unfortunately I don't think I have a lab nearby. The places I take my film to send it somewhere else. </p>

<p>I do have light tight bags left over from photo paper. Can I put the film in one of these bags and just take it in to the shop? That would be a great solution!</p>

<p>This happened to a fellow traveller once. At night we folded the neck and the bottom of a jacket, placed the camera into the jacket and my arms through the sleeves. made a perfect dark room to open the camera and get the film out. The canister can relatively easily been opened, by pulling one of the side off, film rewound on the spool, canister closed and ready. This was during a 3 week trekking in the mountains with no labs or so in the neigbourhood so we had to improvise a little bit.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>made a perfect dark room</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It's a very good emergency tactic, and thanks to Jos for bringing it up.</p>

<p>However, there's "nothing in this world that is perfect", as W.C. Fields says in <em>Bank Dick</em>. :)</p>

Point taken. It started with ORWO film that had been taped to the reel with not so good tape. Sold in India and maybe

produced or packed there too. Not perfect is a bit of an understatement. BTW, opening a canister with your bare

hands is fairly easy, it doesn't take much strength, at least not in this case.