E6 processing error?

<p> Just had a couple of sheets of 4x5 E6 processed that came out completely clear processed by a local Pro lab. They are claiming I exposed wrong but I thought if there are no markings at all then it would be their error. They even claimed they checked markings and couldn't find a match (I verified the notch as E64)<br>

Is my thinking correct? Could there be another cause?</p>

<p>Well, all of the kodak films I have, 4x5, neg and transparency is pre-exposed with the type of film right on the end of the sheet so that that appears when the film is processed. If it isn't there, then it was fixed before it was developed--if ever run though the developer at all or someone exposed the entire sheet of film, out of the holder, to the point of being fully overexposed.</p>

<p>Thanks John, I think they are trying to accuse me of exposing the entire sheet out of the holder. I don't think I am guilty of 2 sheets at the same time though. I used to shoot a lot of 4x5 and never had this problem before but as you suggest there is a possibility.</p>

<p>If the film was totally clear, including no edge markings, but the notch indicates E64, then you can conclude the following:<br>

1. The film was fogged completely. Somewhere, sometime.<br>

OR<br>

2. The film was processed wrong. It would be difficult to make the film clear by processing in any E-6 or C-41 or B&W with a normal or push process. If the film was put into the E-6 bleach or reversal bath before either of the developing steps, that could cause the film to be totally clear (but that is a very difficult thing to do, unless tray processing and getting the solutions mixed up). <br>

OR<br>

3. The film was manufactured wrong. This is unlikely explanation. If the film was indeed processed E-6, but somehow the actual film was a B&W film (notched wrong), then the E-6 process could wipe out all the image because no dye would form, just silver, and that would get reversed and bleached then fixed out (see #2). <br>

Call Kodak customer support for assistance, please. </p>

<p>Michael, While I always suspect myself of errors, emulsion backwards is not the one. I pulled the film out of the holder and confirmed the film (in the dark of course). One of my apparently ,not to be lost, good habits.<br>

Dan, the film was good at one time, I have used the same box of film before with very nice results.<br>

I am leaning to a fogging of some kind either by myself (always a suspect) or by the lab. I wanted to see if you all felt it could be another mistake I couldn't recall.</p>

<p>One other possibility for processing error is if the color developer was skipped (or tank empty). No color dyes would form, and all of the silver image from the first developer would be bleached/fixed out later in the process. The result would be clear film all over, even if it once had an image on it. </p>