Digital back for film cameras? For real?

Discussion in 'Casual Photo Conversations' started by wogears, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Two of the very first
    Kodak-DCS-560-&-Pro-SLR.jpg
    Kodak DCS 560 and Kodak Pro SLR​
    Despite what people say, Kodak was really the major digital pioneer. However one of these had an original price of over 34,000 USA dollars. Guess who bought them?

2. Police?
    And some news agencies to cover sports?
    I recently saw a Leica R + DMR offered for 2K, but luckily have no lenses that justify such a purchase.
    Trying to sort the I'm Back in: A beat up 5D could be had for 300, might hold almost any SLR lens via adapter and shouldn't perform worse than the barely cheaper I'm Back. It would be a compactish FF DSLR. Anything rigged on the I'm Back looks monsterous, like an old motorized Nikon F / F2 or worse since the I'm Back seems tailored for those and Minox, Retina or Pentax MX (to name a few dust collecting classics at hand) seem significantly smaller.
    A huge hump behind an SLR's ground glass is something that probably goes better with a WLF or chimney finder, as seen on Hasselblad.
    I'm missing the compact size of my film beaters in the digital world. Turning them into huge monsters to play available light desperado in broadest daylight for kind of Lomographic results isn't very tempting.

3. Doesn't appear to have very many backers. I applaud the ingenuity. That's about all I can say. :)

4. The question was rhetorical and not intended to be mysterious. The first of all answer is that what can be counted as the first practical marketed digital camera in the strict sense was a Canon-based camera from Kodak for a US Government office that already used Canon mount lenses.

When Kodak went for a broader market (meaning news services and other US Government agencies), they thought the Nikon was a sounder basis. Prices were still astronomical.

Like the video tape recorder, a US company did it first, but for a market where price was no object (Gum'mit, news companies). They left it to the Japanese to make a popular, cheap market item.

5. I meant sounder as in more marketable, if that makes sense for insanely expensive cameras.