Looking for an older scanning back for my 4x5

robert_bruni

I used to use my 4x5 Toyo for my architectural and product work but switched to

digital SLR's because of the high price of the scanning backs. I want to start

working again in the studio with the 4x5 and am looking for older technology

scanning backs, primarily because of price. I don't want to spend a lot of money

on this and a small file size/ mp would be o.k., as long as the sensor is a good

quality. Anyone have any suggestions?

You should be able to purchase a used Betterlight scanning back for $2000 to $5000

dollars depending on model. They produce superior results to DSLR's because they are

not a Bayer pattern imager, rather they are a true full RGB with no color interpolation. The

quality of the pixels is better. Betterlight has a mailing listserv that owners and interested

parties can list for sale and wants of used euipment.

In addition to the scanning back and control box, you MUST use an IR absorbing filter on

the lens, these come in two varities. One for tungsten and one for daylight. Best to get

the pair. These are shipped with the backs when new, but you need to make sure you get

them if you are purchasing used. Older scanning backs couple to your computer with a

SCSI connection. Recent computers do not allow SCSI without a separate SCSI card in the

computer, however the output from the back/box can be converted to FireWire with a

Ratoc SCSi to Firewire converter. Newest software is available as a download from the

Betterlight website.

Here I use two Phase One 4x5 scan backs. With a PC you always use a scsi card. Its the Mac stuff that had built in scsi awhile back. The actual scsi card requirements and cpu requirements are nil. A 10 year old Adaptec 2940U pci card for 5 bucks on Ebay is whart we use in many computers. The recommended CPU is a Pentium 166Mhz. We started with a 200Mhz PPro long ago. Filling the old box up to 512megs of ram allowed quicker post scan photoshopping. With a Pentium II at 333Mhz the Cpu is at 8 percent; one can watch a fast times at ridgemont high mpg while scanning and the rig doesnt bog. All a modern computer does is allow quicker post scan photoshop stuff; it does NOT quicken the scan time. I mention this because the lay public seems to assume that the scan back will run quicker with a zillion Ghz box. <BR><BR>The IR filters get scratched up with usage; broken or lost too. Often they are NOT included in Ebay sales; or you just get a tungsten; or only a daylight one.<BR><BR>With XP sometimes one can find the scanner if its added one after the computer is on. With win 3.11, win95, NT4, win2000 I have had to turn on the scanner; then reboot to find the scanner. <BR><BR>The scan area is not 4x5"; with the Phase One its truncated about to 7x10cm<BR><BR>Lower priced Betterlight and Phase one backs often have no filters, or a missing cable, or too many "as is" phases.<BR><BR>4x5 scan backs are not new. They were around when Photoshop 2.5 was around; an many folks had 386 and 486's; and a "dream machine" was a Pentium for 5 grand. These backs were around well hard core Photoshop folks spent 1000 bucks for 16megs of ram. Dicomed had a 45 Megapixel back in 1994 and Phase One had their 35 megapixel 4x5 scan back. The 1994 Digital Photography books called a 1.3 Megapixel camera one for Photojournalism, a 6megapixel Kodak/Nikon for studio use; and an amateur would crave a VGA grade camera. <BR><BR>A 35Megapixel back was 23 grand in 1995; the one on Ebay for 1/10 of this price might has seen some usage.<BR><BR>With the truncated scan area a lens like my 90mm is not so wide.<BR><BR>Review the workflow with using a tethered scan back. You will be spending time with prescans, tweaking focus. One can shoot 100's of shots with a Canon 5D for each decent 4x5 scan. <BR><BR>The used price of scan backs is about 5 to 10% of what folks paid for them when new. They are specialized devices which today sell at a small fraction to the glory days. Its like you are buying a 1995 pickup truck that cost 23 grand new for 2 grand on Ebay; and that 23 grand is like 30k in todays prices. Your are buying them at klunker prices; and dreaming of those cool 1990's brochures. <BR><BR>Common pitfalls are missing items; assuming one can find a missing cable, a missing dongle (if required); assuming that your Mac G5 is going to make the back scan quicker. <BR><BR>With big files one can get an image thats like film. Here I mostly use them for scanning artwork.

Artwork is the primary focus for these scanning backs nowadays, although there are

people who do fine-art landscape and architecture with them. I use mine almost

exclusively for artwork. The neat thing about a scanning back, is that you can use all your

movements on the 4x5 view camera without "issues" that you get with a bayer-pattern

imager. You can basically set up and adjust your camera as if for film (witht the IR filter on

the lens, of course), put the scanning back in (instead of a 4x5 holder) and scan...allowing

for the slightly diminished field-of-view of the scanner. At full scanner resolution It can

take from 5 to 8 minutes for a scan. Still lifes need to stay still.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

<p>I have one for sale. An older one, 2006. I believe it is in working condtion, was owned by the top museum photographer at the Seattle Art Museum, who recently passed away. I am willing to sell it for the widow.<br>

Jerry of Better Light said this:<br>

Jerry at Better Light (<a href="mailto:jerry@betterlight.com">jerry@betterlight.com</a>) last spring, he suggested listing it on e-bay at $4000. it was purchased for $9,820 in 2006.<br>

I believe there is a USB cable, to the computer; a power cord to the control box; and a cord to connect the control box to the scan back. I have the instruction manual and the software disc. <br>

I would love to sell this for my friend, it was her husband who knew how to use it.<br>

I can be reached through my account at photo.net</p>