Death of the F mount

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by kevin_beretta, May 12, 2021.

1. Again, simple business. You can't afford to make and hold spare parts for everything you've ever made, forever. IMO, because of the high volume most on most of these lenses, parts-lenses will keep everything going for quite a while. AiS lenses will probably be serviceable forever, but the electronic stuff, not so much, just like the more modern bodies with custom chips and pot tracks.

2. I fully agree, however, how many percentages of a full production of a lens requires repairs where spare parts are required ?

3. Alas, my Nikon SP still works well. Mechanical cameras are easier to keep going, though, than are todays electronic wonders.

4. I have never seen this, so just checked the 2nd hand prices! Is it made of gold? :)

5. Well, good luck making your own 35mm film when that goes out of production!

6. It is possible to make one's own film (at least black and white), but it seems unlikely to be needed as film is experiencing a surprising increase in popularity and local camera stores here at least carry a selection.

7. At the moment. I can't see that fad lasting.

8. Film has never been all that hard to find. The difference now is that my local camera store doesn’t deliver anymore and I have to get in the car or order online. OTOH my state has apparently decided to allow delivery of alcoholic beverages.

Rick H.

9. Save your outdated and fogged 100' rolls. Someday, when 35mm film is no longer available, you'll be able to strip them with bleach and recoat them with homebrew emulsion. Making emulsion is a lot easier than making a perf punch for the stock.

Gary Naka and Albin''s images like this.
  10. I suspect most of us will "go out of production" before all 35mm film is unavailable (at least in the U.S. and Europe). Heck, sheet film is still readily available.

Oh, you poor fellow. The horror of "having to go on line". :) BTW how did you order from your local camera store for delivery, if not on line ? By telephone? I believe on line dealers like B&H and Adorama still have toll free telephone ordering.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    bobbudding likes this.
  11. Nonsense. Not likely to be a problem. You can still buy buggy whips and oil paints.

bgelfand likes this.
  12. It was state of the art in the late 1950's. And Nikon reused a lot of the parts for the Nikon F, so getting a titanium replacement shutter isn't difficult. Then again, they never seem to fail.

Nikon Rangefinder SP

Erik-Christensen likes this.
  13. That is exactly what happened with 70mm film for the Hasselblad.
    The Hasselbad requires a certain type of 70mm sprocket film, that no one makes anymore, so the 70mm gear is not usable. And the last time I looked, the 70mm stuff was very cheap on eBay.

14. Formats, such as 127, die out. But 127 was never even close to the popularity of 35mm and 120 formats. I'll take my chances because I enjoy printing in a traditional darkroom. The rest of you can wring your hands and worry that the end of the world is near.

Erik-Christensen and bgelfand like this.
  15. I dunno, there were an awful LOT of Instamatics when I was growing up. A lot of people dropped the roll film and 35mm cameras for the drop-in ease of use of the 126 cartridge.
    However, the film is gone (at least I don't know anyone still making it), and probably most of the negatives are long lost.

As for printing, I have enlargers waiting for me to build my darkroom.
    I find it more relaxing to print in a wet darkroom.
    But for getting things done, the computer beats the darkroom.

ShunCheung and bgelfand like this.
  16. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

The advantage of the computer is that it can do many many other tasks besides digital image processing. I had my chemical wet darkroom when I was a teenager in high school, but I haven't touched any of that since I was an undergrad, and that was many years before digital photography became popular some 20 or so years ago. I bought my first DSLR, a D100, back in 2002.

I see my DSLRs will continue to function for years to come. The two I use the most, the D5 and D500, are both 5 years old. Maybe mirrorless will replace them some day, perhaps within a year. But they can continue to work fine for a few more years. Unlike the dependency on film, as long as your batteries and memory cards are fine, you can continue to use your DSLRs. My mirrorless Z6 and Z6 ii use the same types of batteries and memory cards as the D500. There is no issue there so far. However, I wouldn't expect Nikon to introduce another F-mount body or lens, and even if they do, I am not interested.

17. I sold my 70-200mm VRii for being a bit soft at the long end, but like the range.

The options i have are the last fl e version or the Z version.

I still use my D850 and D500 lots.... and I have a Z6ii.

I guess I get the F mount and/but use the FTZ.

18. Or the Tamron or the Sigma, One big advantage the F-mount has is that there are many excellent third party lenses available. Case in point, look at some of the wildlife images Bill Boyd took with the Tamron 150-600 on his D850; he posts in the Nature and Nikon Wednesday threads.

19. Tried that and the AF wasn't always fast or consistent enough.
    Sometimes AF just failed...period.

20. I think film will be around for a long time. I don't think the renewed interest is a fad but rather a trend, although it will probably be a specialty item. Think about recovering an image from a 50 year old negative versus a 50 year old computer file. Vinyl is outselling compact discs now. Not all technology disappears because a new or better on exists.

C R Utra and FPapp like this.