Darkroom chemical hazards?

<p>Hi, I have a question that hopefully someone can help me with.<br /><br />I'm an employee at an older office building, and there's an ancient darkroom here that hasn't been touched since the late 80's or so, judging by some of the dates on materials inside. We're hoping to renovate the space and make a small office out of it. However, there are several bottles of chemicals inside (some leaking), and chemical residue on multiple surfaces including the ceiling. Is just giving this room a wipe-down and a new coat of paint going to be okay, or are further steps to dispose of these chemicals going to be needed before someone sits in there for 40+ hours a week? We're going to be knocking out most of the counters and removing the sink. If any further decontamination steps are recommended, please advise. Thank you for your time.</p>

<p>You're in much more danger from asbestos in the ceiling and lead paint on the walls and in the plumbing than any darkroom chemicals. Not to mention mold, especially in ventilating ducts if you're in a humid climate, although that could be anywhere. Simply dispose of the chemicals at an appropriate site, and if you don't know what you're doing w/ the walls, floor and ceiling, hire a knowledgeable and honest contractor (good luck) who will come in and immediately be able to tell you what needs to be done. Please remember to have the room checked for radon as well. Radon is responsible fo nearly as much lung cancer in this country as cigarettes, which is a statistic that should get your attention. Mold problems can incapacitate someone for life. Same for asbestos. Lead will kill you quicker, but it is not a fun way to be poisoned.There are dangers out there, and forewarned is forearmed.</p>

<p>I've been told that the only chemical that really shouldn't be just poured down the drain is used fixer because of the silver contained within it. That's black and white fixer. In the far past we just poured everything down the drain. In the more recent past, I would take the fixer to Wolf Camera after talking to them and they would dispose of it properly. Now all those guys are gone so I'm not sure what to do with it these days. There used to be kits you could buy which would remove the silver and make it safe for disposal. Basically they were plastic buckets with steel wool in them. When the fixer was poured through them, the silver would trade places with the steel and leave a sludge of silver and liquid you could pour out.</p>

<p>I'm not an expert, but that was what I was told. </p>

<p>Especially now that you have put the issue on the record, so to speak, it is well not to treat the disposal of chemicals as a casual issue.<br>

There is a Kodak guide to environmental issues at http://www.kodak.com/global/en/corp/environment/kes/pubs/pdfs/j300.pdf <br>

Further Googling will reveal other guidelines and such on this issue, which is widely discussed.</p>

<p>In our chemical labs, even saline solution can be considered a "hazardous substance" and requires the assistance of the University Hazmat people to dispose. This is surely overkill, but old bottles - often with the labels off - are tricky. And who knows if the labels are correct?</p>

<p>Most photo chemicals in small quantities are not hazardous materials. This is comparable to cleaning out grandma's house and finding 30-year-old dishwashing detergent under the sink. Pour anything liquid down the sink and throw everything in the garbage. If "chemical residue" comes off easily with a wet cloth it's most likely just splashed developer or fixer. Residue from fixer can be hard to scrub off, especially if it's been there for 30 years.<br /><br />The alternative is that you call in some cleanup company that will hear the word "chemicals" and see big dollars signs in front of their eyes and the next thing you know you could be into thousands of dollars.<br /><br />As Steve said, there are other environmental concerns in an old building that are likely to be far more serious than some old photo chemicals.</p>

<p>Most darkroom chemicals, as mentioned above aren't a problem. However, there are some which may be highly poisonous. You should find out what the chemicals are before deciding on a specific course of action. A wipedown & new coat of paint for old spaces is 1960 thinking....many municipalities have specific codes for renovating space for offices...including ventilation, mold, lead paint, & asbestos removal. You & your boss should familiarize yourselves with the potential issue before proceeding, as fines can be pretty hefty in some areas for neglecting or circumventing current ordinances.</p>

<p>good advice wspwecially what srwcvwn said,<br>

photo bleach, some toners and very old C022 chhmicasl kits<br>

( long obsolets) may present a hazard,<br>

If you approach a bio-hazard company they will treat is as seriously as a failed atomic plant disassembly.<br>

Thing is they have no idea and treat everything as a deadly poison.<br>

it is not. do not drink it or put on your skin.<br>

I am not saying ignore any hazard. but do not blow it out of proportion.<br>

if there are sealed cans of chemicals, it is highly likely they will be usable,.<br>

If you can find someone who can or will use these B&W chemicals fine.</p>

<p>Some like Glacial acetic acit is chemically similar to vinegar,'<br>

but because of the extreme concentration should be habnded carefully..<br>

certain highly dangerouls chemicals were routinly used in the past.<br>

consuly with an older person who teaches chemistry<br>

My son;s experiences with young phd;'s scared the hell out of him.<br>

Many had no idea what would occur if some items fell orr a shelf or if a water pipe leaked.,<br>

But nothing in a darkroom would eb that hazardus.<br>

the lead paimnt and other forgotten things are worse.<br>

Unless the people running the darkroom were complete slobs.<br>

you will have no problem.</p>

<p>The key with darkroom chemicals of which one is uncertain about is extreme dilution. Takes time and lots of water, but if your budget doesn't cover hiring someone to properly dispose of them, at least that is an option. FWIW, research labs and universities are often monitored in their disposal so extreme dilution might not be workable. As others said, the real issue with fixer is the silver content. Otherwise fixer, with its thiosulfate ion is relatively harmless. It is often used to reduce halogens to halide salts for safe disposal or to remove excess chlorine from aquarium water. For color chemicals, like C22, be careful with bleach disposal. Above all, never mix two or more chemicals together when pouring down drain. You may produce something worse that what you started with or subject yourself to noxious fumes.</p>

<p>You might check with your local health department. Some of them have regular collection days when people can drop off unused medications, old paint, cleaning solutions, garden and household chemicals..., and other materials that should not be put in the garbage or poured down the drain.</p>