D700 lens error with 50mm 1.4

jeff_madden

<p >I am having an issue using my 50mm 1.4 on my D700. I am getting the "ERR" message and for the life of me can't figure out what is wrong. I believe I tested this lens with the D700 when I first got it and no issues, but I can't find the images to verify. The lens has been tested on a D200 and D90 as well, works fine on both. The aperture ring is locked at f16 (where I believe it is supposed to be)...I am out of ideas as to what could be wrong...</p>

<p >Anyone else have any similar issues?</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses. I will clean off the AF contacts on the D700, I have used a 18-200 VR and 70-200 2.8 VRI with the D700 with no issues, would the 50 be any different??</p>

<p>I did check all switches, etc... as soon as I test the lens on a different body it works fine, and I test a different lens on the D700 and have no issues...</p>

Brooks, he doesn't have the G type. He says it has an aperture ring. I have the same problem often because the lock on my lens doesn't work well all the time (but it does most of the time), so occasionally it gives me the ERR because the aperture ring has slipped a notch.

Contacts is the only thing left. And please let us know!

I cannot recall whether it's FEE or ERR, but it looks like the camera screaming furiously, so that's the first thing I check.

There was a time when my old AF 80-200 was giving me the same problem because the lock switch was flimsy. I had it repaired for other issues and they must have done something to the lock because it's been working like a charm ever since.

• 3 months later...

<p>Thanks to everyone for your responses. I should have clarified in the original post, but this is the 50mm 1.4D. I have still been struggling with this error, the aperture ring is set correctly (as it works fine on the my other bodies). I believe I was incorrect in my first post, it is the FEE error...not ERR.</p>

<p>Brought the body and lens to B&H this weekend while going to pick up a few other things, and talked to a few people there about my issue. We tried the lens on two other D700 bodies and the lens worked fine...no changes to anything. We also tried my D700 with the 24mm 2.8D...also did not work. At least I have come to the conclusion that it is an issue with the D700 and not the lens...but I still cannot figure what could be wrong.</p>

<p>After spending some time at the counter swapping parts trying to figure out what was wrong, both myself and the B&H staff were at a loss. I was told to go speak to their nikon "Guru" who looked at the camera for a half hour or so...and eventually agreed he had no idea what the issue could be. He told me in the past 30 years he's been shooting/selling Nikon he has never seen an issue like this...encouraging...</p>

<p>I am officially stumped, but seems that I am not the only one. Anyone out there have any other ideas?? I guess my only option now is to call Nikon and see what I can work out...</p>

<p>Thanks again for the suggestions thus far-</p>

<p>JM</p>

• 9 months later...

<p>Hi Jeff,<br>

Were you able to resolve the issue after contacting Nikon?<br>

I just got a used D700 and first lens I tried on is 50mm 1.4D. And it's giving me eFF error. Same lens works fine on D80. I tried other lens on D700 and works fine. It's just this combination that's failing. Since it was gonna be my main lens on D700, I am quite bummed out. <br>

Were you able to fix the issue?<br>

Thanks!<br>

Q</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I just got a used D700 and first lens I tried on is 50mm 1.4D. And it's giving me eFF error. Same lens works fine on D80. I tried other lens on D700 and works fine. It's just this combination that's failing.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Potentially the aperture ring of that lens is broken or the aperture follower tab on the D700 is broken.</p>

<p>Do you have another AF lens that has an aperture ring to check the D700 with? Are the other lenses that work with the D700 all G (no aperture ring) lenses?</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>Shun,<br /> I have tried other lens with aperture ring on D700 and they all work great.<br /> It's almost funny how when I mount 50mm 1.4D on D50 and D80, it works great. But not on D700, where I needed that lens the most to get the most out of it.<br /> One thing I noticed on D700 is that even with eFF error, it still does auto-focus when I half press the shutter.<br /> Not sure whether I should send in the lens or body for inspection.</p>