Current State of Affairs on Photo.net

Discussion in 'Casual Photo Conversations' started by Sandy Vongries, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Even though i think diversification has long been an issue here at PN. I did feel that there was more of a representation of different photo styles years ago. The changes and quirks have homogenized the site and that has continued to drive some notable talent away new and established. Some interesting people have abandoned or banned. I imagine coming here now for the first time and moving on with little pause... for a few reasons not least being the lack of diversity and open mindedness. Kudos for being unique from other social media giants... but sorry to see how limited it is becoming.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    Sanford likes this.
  2. I did ! I purchased 3 Photos from the forum 2 that are hanging in my living room and bedroom. I had them professionally framed at Michael's the popular Art store when they had a sale.

Sanford likes this.
  3. In the interest of clarity, I was not banned. I simply moved on. While cleaning out bookmarks on a browser that I seldom use, I stumbled upon this link and was surprised to find it still active. Happy to see that despite the owners pimping out what's left of the site to flog their crappy courses while letting the place fall into ruin, some of you have remained and carry on carrying on.

4. Even if you were, we all remember you as a great photographer, so wear it like a badge of honour

5. Sandy Vongries

Sandy Vongries Administrator Staff Member

Folks, lets assume the "horse" is recovering and give it some time and the benefit of the doubt.

6. "Even though i think diversification has long been an issue here at PN. I did feel that there was more of a representation of different photo styles years ago. The changes and quirks have homogenized the site and that has continued to drive some notable talent away new and established. Some interesting people have abandoned or banned. I imagine coming here now for the first time and moving on with little pause... for a few reasons not least being the lack of diversity and open mindedness. Kudos for being unique from other social media giants... but sorry to see how limited it is becoming" inoneeye.

I agree, word for word.

"Folks, lets assume the "horse" is recovering and give it some time and the benefit of the doubt" Sandy.

The man with cowboy hat, the giant Montana steaks, and the six-gun....used to be a proper Sheriff like Wyatt Earp in Dodge city, has a very good point..

Forgive the troubled humour, but both have realistic thoughts.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  7. “The interest I have to believe a thing is no proof that such a thing exists.”
    ―Voltaire

gordonjb likes this.
  8. “The interest I have to believe a thing is no proof that such a thing exists.”
    ―Voltaire Sam.

Creativity, and the believe, is what drives humanity forward.

Allen Herbert.;))

9. Jeez, who needs Voltaire when we have minds of our own;))

10. Of course the other choice is far less words and far more photos experimenting with the opportunities out there. If this site fails it's our fault not some hidden power.

luis triguez likes this.
  11. 2f this site fails it's our fault not some hidden power2 eric

The reality, the truth..

] and luis triguez like this.
  12. "No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world." -Dead Poet’s Society

Words needn’t compete with photos. They’ve both always been welcome at PN … by most. Often, they complement each other and they can be symbiotic.

13. Heck, sometimes they're even in the picture ...

andy-revolt-bw-2nd_3626-ww.jpg

mikemorrell likes this.
  15. A similar thing happened at Popular Photography a few several years ago. Little by little repairs weren't made, and owners were seen less, and less, until they finally folded their tent. Same deal at the photo corner. Sadly I think this place is also probably going the way of the Dodo.

16. Sandy Vongries

One size doesn't fit all. A decent magazine for its time I subscribed to and a web site of note are different. We can only do what we can - Winston Churchill comes to mind - "Never, never, never surrender". I may be a never or two short on the quote. You pays your penny and takes your chance.

mickeysimpson and David_Cavan like this.
  17. Pardon my ignorance, or if i am misunderstanding this completely, but....................... you said in Post #1 "There has been no viable route to communicate with the site owners."

You continue to Administer or Moderate a Forum for owners that ignore you.?

18. Sandy Vongries

It isn't about "Them', it is about Me, Photo.net, and Honor. I learned an enormous amount here, valued the experience, and promised to stay till / if the ship sinks and the band stops playing. I do no one's bidding, just what little I can to benefit the site. Make any of that a sin, except possibly of pride, if you can.

19. ]

]

I am trying to keep this site alive, and relevant. I've drawn inspiration and education from it. In Portuguese. it is Agua Ge Beber (Water to Drink). It's like a fountain, and I need a drink (of creative inspiration). I enjoy this site. It has something for most everyone from novice to professional.

luis triguez and mickeysimpson like this.
  20. This site is like old friend, like community that been tested by the years. I know people keep coming back to read,even if they not posting that often.
    Pandemic is effecting activity, not much travel or events. Hopefully we will get through.