Canon FTb

lynnthomas

Not sure if this is the forum for this question but here goes......

Brother-in-Law gave me his Canon FTb 35mm film camera and the camera shop tells me it needs an overhaul to the tune

of $200 or more. Needs new seals, shutter doesn't work past 1/30, first mirror is slow or not working......now I really don't

know what most of that means but it sounds bad.

The thing is that I have a Vivitar 70-205mm lens that goes with it as well as the lens that came with it that are just fine

and would hate to not be able to use them.

I can get another FTb on Ebay for about $27 but my concern is that whatever I get there will have the same issues since

those cameras have probably been sitting around too.

Would anyone forego Ebay and just get the one that B&H has for $89?

Is any of this worth it?

I really was hoping to get into film and scan my own photos to computer and have some fun in B&W.

Thanks.

<p>While the FTb is an excellent camera (I have a few myself), it is really not worth that much investment in repairs. I would suggest B&H or KEH as trusted sources for used cameras and a refund/exchange policy if there are any issues with the purchase.<br>

A typical CLA on this camera should cost about $100 if you buy one on ebay or wherever that doesn't come with a refund policy.<br>

Good luck.</p>

<p>I have been known to spend more for a CLA than the value of the camera, just because I knew something about it. If it has been sitting for long, I can imagine that things can be worn out. I had a quote for a CLA for a similar Canon camera of $125 from my repair shop. They have an online form. Tell them the things you mention and see what they come back with: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.advancecamera.com%2F&rct=j&q=advanced%20camera%20repair&ei=0LneTKL8EZSWsgPFvtCqCg&usg=AFQjCNErgSwRayVvyfoh9MQYCZr-UKh1KQ&sig2=0v7KHhbFkplEm_gnoubmpw&cad=rja. BTW, they are very good and honest. Only once did they come back higher than their estimate, but they told me before hand. It was for a rare lens and shutter, and they had to locate a donor. Very understandable.</p>

<p>Over $200 for repairs is far too high, considering that a functioning FTb can be had for rather less than $100. As Vincent Peri says, the 1.35 volt mercury cells which the camera needs for its meter are no longer made. Beware of sales people who tell you that an alkaline (1.5 volts) cell of the same size (625) is an acceptable substitute.</p>

<p>They are chargin you twice Once for the repair shop and the second time for the stores profit. Go directly to the repair shop look in your local yellow pages and do a search on line for Photographic repair in you area.<br>

My local guy charges just $75.00 to completely Clean Lube and Adjust a camera like the FTb including any minor repairs along the way.<br>

Or as the other guys have mentioned a new body from keh.com is a safe bet.</p>

<p>Lynn, I agree that you can get your FTb serviced for much less than $200 if you take it directly to a repair person. And while it's being done, you can have its meter recalibrated so that you can use 1.5v batteries in it. I've had the meters recalibrated in all my F-1 and FTb bodies.</p>

<p>If you're serious about shooting film, and plan on acquiring more FD lenses (most of which can be had very cheaply these days), I think it's worth having the FTb serviced.</p>

<p>You have three real options for the cells - one is recalibration as the meter will read off, another is to use Wein cells but they do not last very well. The third approach is a guy in the Netherlands - who wrote this document http://www.buhla.de/Foto/batt-adapt-US.pdf. I have bought from him and the adaptors work well and he is very reliable.</p>

I found a camera repair shop in my area...close enough that I can get to it anyway.I will email them and

and see what they have to say about it. I live in Central Texas and not alot in my town for

photography/cameras. I would like to fix it if possible and I'm glad I asked about it here......but I feel like I

do when I go to get my car repaired....I never know if what I'm being charged is right and apparently the

shop I have been going to is over charging.

Philip,

I have a new Wein cell I just bought last week so I'll see how long that lasts.

I'll post more when I find out what the 2nd shop has to say. I hope its good news.

<p>I paid about $125 for a CLA on an FTb-N about 6 months ago, that's been the standard price paid for 5 or 6 years. My tech re-calibrates the camera to use a modern battery as standard practice, I don't even need to ask; maybe yours will do the same. </p>

<p>Good advice, all. I've used FTb's for years, and I love 'em. The FTb is one of my most favorite cameras. I agree -- if you want to keep the camera, check out a local repair place. They'll guarantee their work, too. My current FTb, I bought off eBay. It came as the rear lens cap to a lens I wanted. That is, I was bidding on the lens and got the camera as a bonus. It looked pretty fugly when I got it, but it cleaned up nice. I don't think mine had been used in a long time. The slow speeds were a little slow and the meter didn't work. I just kept tripping the shutter at 1 second, 1/2 second, and 1/4 second -- probably a hundred times or more -- and the speeds improved. As for the meter, I just pushed the switch lever back and forth a bunch of times, and first the needle would just bounce a bit, and then it would pop up when I turned the meter on and sometimes drop and dip a bit, and finally after I kept working the switch, it got to where it would pop up and stay up. Sometimes all these old cameras need is a bit of attention.</p>

<p>Now for the reason for my adding to this thread: there is a perfectly serviceable and CHEAP alternative to the no-longer-available 1.35v mercury batteries and to the rather pricey and short-lived Wein batteries. The 675 size hearing aid battery works just fine. It's a zinc air battery same as the Wein, so it won't last all that long, but whereas the Wein will cost you $6 or more, you can get a half-dozen or so 675s for that price. Here's the deal though -- it's almost exactly the same height as the old battery, but it isn't as big around. So to take up the slack inside the battery cavity, I cut a small piece -- about 1" or so -- of 18 gauge wire, curl it up, and stick it down in the bottom of the battery cavity. This takes up the slack so the 675 fits snuggly.</p>

<p>As for battery life, I just changed the battery out on my Canon F-1, which uses this same battery. I had installed a 675 in it a little over 1 year ago, so I got a lot better than the 6 months folks estimate the zinc air batteries to last. But then I don't leave my meter on for days at a time, either. Good thing about the 675s is, if you buy a six pack or more of the batteries, they'll keep. A zinc air battery isn't activated until you remove this little adhesive strip that covers the air holes.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Since the camera cost you nothing it's worth spending a few $ IMO to have it serviced and have the light seals replaced , I just had mine done after 35 years faithful service, if you buy one off ebay you are getting an unknown quantity that will probably need a CLA anyway, because unlike cars very few cameras are ever given a routine service.</p>

I agree. I'm getting in touch with the repair shop today and if they are too expensive then I'll buy the one

from B&H which is $89....I figure they back up their work. I pretty much ruled out ebay since it would be no

different...alot of those have descriptions that say the camera has been sitting around for a long time so I

figure they probably have the same issues.

<p>Lynn - I would also take a look at KEH if or when you decide to buy an FTb. Their BGN grade stuff is usually at least a "9" at B&H. B&H does not CLA their stuff before they sell it to you unless AFAIK. I bought a T90 from B&H which was listed as an 8+ and it definitely needed a CLA. Not sure whether KEH CLA's their bodies, I've bought lenses from there which were usable out of the box.</p>

I have a nice FTB for sale at my eBay store (Japan Camera Exchange). The one I have listed is as nice as any I have

ever seen, and it has been tested and resealed. Regardless of where you get your camera, the FTB is very nice, and is

probably a more sturdy camera than the A1/AE1 models which came out later. If you would like something nicer, I will also

be listing a very nice F1n shortly.

<p>I would like to second the recommendation for Essex camera. I had my FTb CLA'd by them- it also had a shutter problem (probably the same problem you have), they cleaned, lubed, adjusted, replaced the seals, fixed the shutter lock-up and timer, and, unknown to me, revised the meter circuits to accept an akaline battery instead of the original mercury battery. At the time I was using the Wein battery- very expensive and very short-lived. I actually sent the camera back because the 1.35V battery was not operating the camera meter correctly, then they told me they had converted it to use the 1.5V, which are exactly the same physical dimensions as the 1.35 mercury. All for around $125 I got a brand new camera that operates on modern batteries! One, by the way, that I bought new in 1977 before I could even drive.</p>

<p>George</p>