Canon EF 24-105 mm f4.0 vs 24-70 mm f4.0

raffal

Hello,

I m debating on which glass to choose… which one I should decide on? - pros ‘ n cons of both. Thanks ,

Rafal, Las Vegas

Ps. I already have 70-200mm f.4.0 and I like it - obviously sometimes I miss 2.8 but money wise sometimes we have to compromise-)

I have the EF 24-105mm F4L IS USM lens but I have the faster EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM. I have found that the 24-105mm lens is a great walk around lens and use it almost of the time, if not exclusively as I wonder about. The 24-105mm lens provides a reasonably wide focal length range for most situations, is fast enough certainly sharp. I use this lens indoors ant outdoors. While I have no experience with the 24-70mm f4 lens, I use my 24-70mm when I know that I will need a faster lens or the narrower focal length range such as indoors. I believe that the 24-70mm lens is sharper as well. I love both of these lenses.

Like you I also have the 70-200mm f4L IS USM lens which I also find to be a great lens.

Mick

• Like 1

With both 24-105 and 24-70 being f/4 lenses, I would go with the 24-105.

I don't know but I don't think the 24-105 is SIGNIFICANTLY larger/heavier than the 24-70. So why not the longer zoom range.

Like Mick, I prefer the longer zoom range for a GP lens. It delays when you need to switch to a longer lens.

If the 24-70 was the f/2.8 lens, then I would say BOTH. For different reasons.

The 24-70/2.8 for the extra speed, in lower light. Sometimes that extra stop does make a difference.

As for the 70-200/4, for me, more so than cost, was the weight difference between the f/4 and f/2.8 lenses. The f/4 was HALF the weight of the f/2.8 lens, and for an old man, that makes a difference.

• Like 1

What other lens(es) do you have?

What Camera(s) do you have?

What type of Photography do you do?

WW

Regardless what photography I do- this is Universal, walk around lens,- obviously if I would should butterflies on a flower —wouldn’t look for a zoom … I got Canon 6D Mark ii…

What other lens(es) do you have?

What Camera(s) do you have?

What type of Photography do you do?

WW

The question is simple I guess… between THOSE 2- which one?…. I didn’t ask what lenses I need for specific type of photography

While many lens reviewers opinion is that the 24-70F4L is generally sharper than either EF 24-105F4L (mk I or mk II), many have reported a reduction in sharpness at around 50mm then a recovery towards 70mm. Some reviewers (like Optical limits) found a shift in focus when stopping down (compared with wide open focus) in some samples. If I bought this lens (or really any lens) I would test it prior to the vendor's equipment return date. Beyond this the obvious difference is that the 24-70f4L is somewhat smaller and lighter while the 24-105 L will provide a bit more reach. The 24-70 will focus closer if that's important to you. From personal experience, the 105mm setting on the 70-200F4 is noticeably sharper than the 105mm setting of the 24-105 F4 mk I. But this should not be a surprise.

The question is simple I guess… between THOSE 2- which one?…. I didn’t ask what lenses I need for specific type of photography

It was a simple question. I always prefer to give considered advice, and in this situation I requested more information, being (your) outcome information and (your) existing kit, so I could refine my advice into an effort better suit your situation.

However, that information being withheld, I can speak to my position.

I did buy the EF 24 to 105 F/4L IS USM and subsequently, when both were released and I used both of the newer lenses, I did not see a need to buy the EF 24 to 105 F/4L IS USM MkII or the EF 24 to 70 F/4L IS USM.

Pros and cons relevant to me, my usage and my gear:

Pros:

The EF 24 to 70 F/4L IS USM is generally a tad sharper than either of the 24 to 105 lenses mentioned.

Both 24 to 105's have extra reach.

Cons:

The EF 24 to 105 F/4L IS USM is prone to zoom turret slippage.

Lens Hoods are next to useless in all three.

Both the 24 to 105's suffer from a tad more Veiling Flare than the 24 to 70

WW

• Like 1

Regardless what photography I do- this is Universal, walk around lens,- obviously if I would should butterflies on a flower —wouldn’t look for a zoom … I got Canon 6D Mark ii…

Only for the sake of relevance and not argument, I disagree:

For many Photographers, when used on their only one APS-C camera, either of the 24 to 105 lenses will mate well with the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM to combine as a complete two lens camera kit for many applications, including butterflies on flowers.

That is only one example. There are many more. Simply as another example, some Photographers use a Dual Format Kit; depending upon the other lenses they have, either the 24 to 105 - OR - 24 to 70 may be more useful, (especially apropos limiting lens changes whilst expanding overall reach of the kit) depending upon what body they choose to use the extra reach.

WW

Edited by William Michael
  • Like 1

I bought a 24-70/4 IS L. It seemed on sale out and I 'm intending to use it paired with my 70-200 on a 2nd camera. For a lazy walk around camera I'd want more reach and shooting people with a single body I'd benefit from more zoom ranges overlap.

Reviews of the 24-105 didn't ravish about it.

• Like 1

I bought a 24-70/4 IS L. It seemed on sale out and I 'm intending to use it paired with my 70-200 on a 2nd camera. For a lazy walk around camera I'd want more reach and shooting people with a single body I'd benefit from more zoom ranges overlap.

Reviews of the 24-105 didn't ravish about it.

I’m leaning more towards 24-105 bc of that extra reach,- although I believe 24-70, is bit sharper,-)

• Like 1

I’m leaning more towards 24-105 bc of that extra reach,- although I believe 24-70, is bit sharper,-)

Yes that is often the quandry.

Practical reach vs. optical quality.

Rank your priorities, and pick the winner.

For ME, for a GP lens, if the IQ is decent/acceptable (for me), then reach wins.

• Like 1

Why not rent both for a week and see which one screams "BUY ME". There's no substitute for in hand experience. You can read till the cows come home, but renting is an investment in personal R&D. Ergonomics matter. Which one is more comfortable in addition to being more useful overall? Renting gives you the chance to really get a feel for a lens. Having the lens for a week will answer any questions and you can make your purchase with confidence.
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have both lenses, 24-105 f4 (v 1 & II) & the 24-70 f4, and use them all a lot. I am surprised that no one mentioned the wonderful MACRO feature of the 24-70 f4. That is one feature that helps tip it for me. Also, I am trying to save my aching neck these days, and the compact size of that lens helps a lot. Having a choice is best IMO. These are both really useful glass IMO.

So long for now, Tom

I have had both the original 24-105 and the II. The II has a zoom lock to eliminate zoom creep when walking around.

I would find it very hard give up the 24-105 for a 24-70 even though I usually carry a 70-200. Given what I shoot, I would be changing lenses all the time if I had the 24-70. I find 24-105 to be an ideal range for a walk-around lens. But YMMV; it depends on what you shoot.

I looked long and hard at the 24-70 f/4 and decided in the end that it is very nearly a wash in terms of image quality. They just have different weaknesses at different focal lengths. While I would like a 24-105 that is better optically, the fact is that the quality of the 24-105 has never been a problem for me, even printing as large as 17 x 22 (roughly A2). The Lightroom lens profile does a very good job of correcting some of the lens's flaws.

Another advantage for me--although it comes into play much less often--is that when I want reach, I can carry the 24-105 and 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, leaving the 70-200 at home, and have no gap in FL.