Can you do multiple exposures with the 5D Mark II?

heidi1

<p>I could be wrong but I doubt there is any DSLR that let's you do multiple exposures like a film camera. I reckon it would be a pretty silly feature since you can easily layer images in any image processing software like Photoshop. There is no reason I can think of to do this in camera if you are shooting digital.</p>

<p>I'd second:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I reckon it would be a pretty silly feature since you can easily layer images in any image processing software like Photoshop. There is no reason I can think of to do this in camera if you are shooting digital.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Taking a purposeful double exposure only makes sense if you embrace a sort of randomness as seredipity in the double exposure.</p>

<p>Otherwise, even in film days it made more sense for control to "sandwich" and recopy than make the double exposure in the same frame.</p>

<p>"I could be wrong but I doubt there is any DSLR that let's you do multiple exposures like a film camera."<br>

==================================<br>

Actually you can do double exposure with any Digital camera, but there is a trick to it. It must be done in complete darkness and the shutter must be left open using the bulb function. Once that is set up, you can use flash to illumnate a subject, move the subject around and use flash to illuminate it again. When you close the shutter. Two different images will be recorded on the sensor.<br>

Currently, Olympus offers 3 cameras that can do double exposure. There is also a Nikon DX not sure which one, that can do it also but I heard it is a PIA. </p>

<p>[[i could be wrong but I doubt there is any DSLR that let's you do multiple exposures like a film camera]]</p>

<p>There are a number DSLRs that allow in-camera multiple exposures. Pentax, Fuji, Nikon all have had (or currently have) models with this feature.</p>

<p>Thanks so much. I know it can be done in photoshop, but I am a bit old fashioned in that regard, as I prefer to do everything within the camera, instead of sitting endless hours in front of the computer :) I guess I also enjoy the randomness of double exposure on film compared to photoshop. But give me a while with the camera and you might not get me off the computer anymore.....</p>

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

<p>Hello All ...<br>

Actually, this would be a feature that I would love to have in my Digital SLR. And while PhotoShop may represent an acceptable alternative, taking the function out of the camera is a serious drawback. I bought a Canon 5D Mark II, which does not include this feature. But the Canon 5D Mark III does. Check out the following link for more information:</p>

<p>http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/1dx_multiple_exposures_article.shtml<br>

Very cool feature. Very useful. And maybe they'll provide a firmware update that introduces this feature in the Mark II.<br>

More to come ...<br>

Stephen</p>