Bluer skies?

Right after 9/11 I noticed that, with no air traffic, the skies were haze-free and seemed bluer. With the downturn in air travel right now, I think I'm seeing the same thing, less haze and a more saturated blue. Is it just me, or has anybody else noticed this? Obviously you need a clear day. I remember going out and taking some pictures back then, but photographs aren't any scientific way of comparing. Nor is memory. No doubt science has some tool, but I don't know what it is.

Yes, I noticed it, too, after 9/11 (it's been rainy here this week) and I remember thinking I hadn't seen the sky that blue or shadows that sharply defined in decades. Not long after that, I read a news story about a university professor who was working on a model of how airliner exhaust contributed to global shading. He had already set up a wide-area experiment to measure it, and in the days following 9/11 he collected the data. I don't have a link to that article, hopefully it is still online.

Pretty sure the difference is being noticed in various places world wide. When there's a constant, 24/7/365 stream of junk of all sorts being spewed into the sky, on a global basis, it doesn't take long after a stop or major reduction, to actually see a difference. As noted, we did absolutely see that in only 3 days after the attacks of "9/11".

I was in the LA area in the 1970's, when a brown cloud often formed over downtown LA,

and then usually went north later in the day, with the usual wind direction.

With improvements in air quality, the easily seen brown cloud usually isn't

there, but I suspect that there is still some brownness.

For other large cities, and maybe not so large cities, less driving should mean

less smog.

-- glen

Not particularly related to what we are experiencing at the moment, but have any of you also ever noticed a difference in "blue sky" (and the quality of light in general) at (say) a city in the midwest US versus at a city much closer or along the Pacific or west coast? It's probably due to differences in particulate matter concentrations over water and land but one of my thoughts is from the light bouncing off the water and back into the sky versus bouncing off land and back into the sky; maybe why artists were drawn to locales southern France?

Not particularly related to what we are experiencing at the moment, but have any of you also ever noticed a difference in "blue sky" (and the quality of light in general) at (say) a city in the midwest US versus at a city much closer or along the Pacific or west coast? It's probably due to differences in particulate matter concentrations over water and land but one of my thoughts is from the light bouncing off the water and back into the sky versus bouncing off land and back into the sky; maybe why artists were drawn to locales southern France?

Yes. I live in San Francisco where the atmosphere often acts as a soft light box.

"You talkin' to me?"

I was in the LA area in the 1970's, when a brown cloud often formed over downtown LA,

and then usually went north later in the day, with the usual wind direction.

With improvements in air quality, the easily seen brown cloud usually isn't

there, but I suspect that there is still some brownness.

For other large cities, and maybe not so large cities, less driving should mean

less smog.

Last winter in Los Angeles was actually the best for air quality since I can remember. I grew up out here, LA and Orange Counties, and I remember the smog we used to have back in the 60. After a day playing out doors, my lungs would actually hurt when I got home. AQMD has done wonders here, though we still get occasional hazy, smoggy days. The worse area is up in the Pasadena, and San Gabriel Valley where the smog ends up "Stacked" against the mountain, but the whole basin can get pretty hazy.

When I took my dog out for her midnight jobs, there was a rare moment of clear sky.

It was the sharpest sky I have ever seen down here at the bottom of the atmospheric well.

Also it was weird to hear no sound except an occasional non-human animal sound.

They sky is blue due to Raleigh scattering of the sun's light by particles smaller than the wavelength of light, including dust and water. Molecules can scatter light, as long as they are polarized to some extent, which would include water. It is also polarized, centered on a band 90 degrees from the sun. Larger particles scatter light indiscriminately with respect to wavelength and polarization.
  • Like 1

With all the many negative effects of of the COVOD19 virus on world health and economies, one of the side effects is that there's less industry and much less air travel. Both of which lead to less air pollution and clearer skies.

So apparently the good news is that the skies are more lovely over all the scenic natural wonders of the world but the bad news is that we can't travel to them with our camera gear in tow to capture it.

This leads to a philosophical conundrum: If the air and sky over the Grand Canyon are perfect but no one is permitted there to see or photograph it, is it really 'perfect'? Does it matter?

Clearly I have too much free time on my hands :(

So apparently the good news is that the skies are more lovely over all the scenic natural wonders of the world but the bad news is that we can't travel to them with our camera gear in tow to capture it.

And just to add to the bad news, people are also dying, suffering, and world economies may be collapsing, making the inability to photograph scenic wonders feel not quite so bad. Let’s just hope we all get out of this with all our abilities, our health, and our well being in tact.

In the meantime, I’ve been taking daily walks around my neighborhood and surroundings, with camera or without, staying six to ten feet away from anyone else who ventures out, noticing the sometimes surreal difference and the signs of emptiness and quiet, all under those clearer skies.

[Netflix also helps, if you can still afford it. Watch something like Free Solo, and you’ll see plenty of awesome, crisp, beautifully-shot blue-sky views of El Capitan with a great story to boot.]

"You talkin' to me?"

Watch something like Free Solo

You must have been tracking my activity, I just started watching that two days ago (but watching that solo climbing set the butterflies in my stomach to churning).

you’ll see plenty of awesome, crisp, beautifully-shot blue-sky

Your adjectives negate the point of this thread. This film was made in the pre-COVID days when the Yosemite sky was full of jet plane exhaust, contrails and bay area pollution.