Beyond the simple pinhole camera

I have some interest in shooting 8x10 film. While a simple pinhole camera would be an easy solution, I'm looking for something a little more versatile. I'm think of a "zoom" 8x10 box. Two boxes really one that would slide inside of the other adjusting the angle of view (and the exposure, although that could be somewhat addressed by swapping out different pinholes.

It seems to me that this is just a view camera without the bellows and movement. There could even be a lens board to mount lenses instead of a pin hole.

Has anybody seen anything like this? I'm always amazed at the amount of knowledge that shows up on this site.

• Like 1

Your best bet is a 8x10 view camera. The film holder scheme makes this project more feasible. As to the pin-hole -- you don't need to mount a lens on the lens board. You can tape aluminum foil over the hole in the board and pierce the foil with a sewing needle. Even better, tape aluminum foil over the lens, or mount in a filter holder. Now pierce this foil. The pin-hole negates the fact that a lens is present.

Thanks Alan . . . I do understand the difference between a pinhole and a lens . . . My idea was to have the option of installing a lens if I build a sliding box for the pinhole version. I would, within limits, be able to focus by sliding the boxes. There are any number of pinhole boxes that have methods for retaining a film holder.

I'm actually trying to stay away from the idea of buying an 8x10 body. They are expensive and I really do not want the movements. I have a 4x5 field camera for that. I'm not sold on building the entire project. I may buy an 8x10 pinhole camera and then add the sliding function to it.

I have done a little pinholing with my Century Graphic. I like most working with a short extension, to get a wide view, even at the cost of some darkening toward the corners. It strikes me that it would be awkward to make a sliding box that works at less than half its maximum length. The inner box section would have to be shorter than the outer, and slide right into it. So having the zooming facility might limit how short you can go. On the other hand, if you make both box parts short, you get a short box and wide view, but the parts may not slide so neatly.

Instead, you could have front and back boards, and an open box section that clamps between them; then if you want more extension, you just use a longer middle piece.

• Like 1

I understand your point about the length limitations but I think that I would prefer the idea of just making different cameras. To shoot wide, a dedicated camera would be best but the longer style that I am considering would be better for the portrait and still life images that I am considering.

• 5 months later...
Wow! Thanks for posting Rico. Had not been aware of John Chiara. Best I've seen in years.

I was in New York visiting some friends and actually saw an exhibition of John Chiara's Manhattan images, a couple years ago on its last day in some small gallery on maybe the upper west side. The images were 3 feet by 4 feet and bigger! Really amazing, we found this just by chance, searching "photo exhibits, NYC" at the time and date we were there! We called the gallery- they were open, it was the final day. We rushed up there and reveled in these amazing images!