best DSLR for 2009

<p>

<p>I'm still using Medium Format with Nikon Coolscan 9000, but would like to buy an inexpensive DSLR that takes quality pictures for up to 16x20 inch prints. Anyone have experiences with printing large from affordable DSLRs? Mainly wanting the camera for travel pictures.</p>

</p>

<p>In my opinion, any seasoned photographer can take any current or recent DSLR and produce excellent 16x20 prints. </p>

<p>The choice will simply be dictated by your practical needs with your travel photography? (For example: do you need something that can be used to hammer nails or something lightweight that fits in a small pack?)</p>

<p>16x20 isn't large. You don't need a very fancy camera to do that. So, what are your priorities? Budget, size/weight, ruggedness, speed for action shots, night photography...</p>

<p>For your basic travel needs something in the Nikon D60 or Canon XSi would get you excellent photos with low cost and weight.</p>

<p>

<p>>> "affordable DSLRs?"<br>

>> "inexpensive DSLR"</p>

<p>How much do you want to spend? <br>

I think anything that has 10/12 MP can give you good 16 by 20" prints. You have to decide what you want in a DSLR. (speed, built quality, and so on...) Your budget will more or less determine your choice. </p>

</p>

The $440 Canon G10 takes better pictures than the $700 Canon 450D with 18-55 IS lens, except at high ISO, and the G10 is smaller with longer zoom range. If you don't believe me, look at dpreview.com's test of the Panasonic G1, comparing pages 25 and 26. Those 450D samples were taken with the 50/1.4, which is an excellent lens, unlike the 18-55. Even so, paperclips look more 3D in the G10 shot.

<p>The title read "Best DSLR for 2009", the OP read "affordable", "inexpensive". They are not quite mutually exclusive but the Op will have to define the guide line a little more specific for recommendations.<br>

The best DSLR in the 35 mm or equivalent format right now MAY be the Nikon D3x or Canon 1DsMk3 followed closely by the Sony A900 and the Canon 5D Mk2. <br>

From there the road is even wider. You have the Nikon D700, Canon 50D, Nikon D300, Nikon D90 Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji, Pentax,.........etc.....etc.<br>

If you are not limited by budget then there are the medium format DSLR like Hasselblad, Mamiya, Phase 1 etc. etc. that can cost upward of a single family dwelling unit.</p>

<p>I would avoid the Nikon D40s and D60s not because they aren't "good" enough but because they need an AF-S lens. Probably not a huge issue but could be a bit limiting when choosing lenses. Given the general quality potentials of I'd think all of the current dslrs, selecting lenses may be more difficult.</p>

<p>When you say travel, is that urban, nature, landscapes, interiors, lots of walking, etc.?</p>

Interesting comments and test images, Mark. Totally agreed about noise control and high ISO. However, your ISO 100 test shows the G10 has more resolution than the XSi. (Is the XSi = 450D? I can't keep Canon's US product names straight.) All the lettering on the chip is visible, and the plastic 2 3 4 5 6 doo-dads look more 3D. In the ISO 100 studio strobe shot, the XSi is not producing true reds, and has burnt out the shape transitions on the left roof. I can't tell what lens you have on that XSi, but can see it takes 72 or 77 filters, so it's not the crappy 18-55.

<p>

Just saw a test yesterday showing that even the Canon SX10 and Panasonic FZ28 beat the 450D with 18-55. Ah yes, <a href="http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_PowerShot_SX10_IS/outdoor_results.shtml">here on the Cameralabs website</a>. The FZ28 has the least chromatic aberration on the distant mountains, but the SX10 wins for clarity at closer distances. The CMOS-based SX1 is quite a bit worse than the SX10. Maybe CCD really is better.

<p>Bill,</p>

<p>Its a Canon 18-200mm, so not a great lens by any means, but very good for convenience. All shots were default jpg settings. The G10 does a LOT of in camera sharpening! Where the XSI (450D) does very little. If you knocked the sharpening all the way up and it looks sharper than the g10, but I personally don't like the over sharp look. The 18-20 super zoom is a little soft wide open too.</p>

<p>Its by no means a scientific test, but looks like they both shoot slightly different then then my Sekonic meter reads, so that might be some. Overall, even at ISO 100 I find the XSI pictures more pleasing to look at. I think its the saturation, softer look and most importantly to me, the shallower depth of field. By all means the G10 is the best P&S I've used, I just like the results from the DSLRs better. When I put my 24-70L on the XSI, there is no doubt. Then again, the point of that review was to get the point out, that the G10 will always beat the DSLR when I need a quick lightweight pocket cam that does excellent pictures. When Circuit City went under I bought a few for $350. I have no complaints.</p>

<p>m</p>

<p>You could get a used Canon 5D or Canon 1DsII for less than what your scanner cost you. A new 5DII a little more. If you prefer Nikon wait until they come out with their affordable D3X, likely the "D700 Mark II". Crop cameras worth considering are the Canon 40D and 50D and Nikon D200, D300, and D2X. </p>

<p>I prefer Nikon and Canon for their lens selection. </p>

• 4 weeks later...
<p>Of course you may also pay as much as the scanner for one of the better Nikon or Canon lenses. So if cost is an issue, many of the great Nikon and Canon lenses are not really available to go with the bodies. Knowing they are available does not do much good if you cannot afford one.</p>