Beginner cameras/equipment recommendations

Discussion in 'Beginner Questions' started by lynn_h|1, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Lynn
    Rather than a new body, think about the lens and other "stuff."
    • Example1, I did a fair bit of night photography, so I needed a decent STABLE tripod and a remote release.
      • Warning a GOOD tripod is surprisingly expensive. I think there is a saying about tripods; pick any TWO: light, sturdy, cheap. Cuz you can't get all three.
    • Example2, my wife wanted to do close up of her plants, so I got a macro lens and 2-way focusing rail. She already had the tripod.
    • Example3, I got a 35mm f/1.8, because I do indoor high school sports photography (volleyball, basketball, etc.). With the slow 18-140 lens, I have to shoot at ISO 12800; with the faster 35/1.8 lens, I can shoot at ISO 3200 or even 1600, for better image quality.
    • Example4, I shoot a fair bit of events, where I need a flash, and all the 'stuff' that goes with a flash.
    • Example5, I was processing some RAW files after my nephew's wedding, on my laptop. My laptop did not have enough processing power to process the photos, and it was painfully SLOW. So I just converted enough photos to give them something quickly, then went home where I could do the processing on my faster desktop computer. So, if you do not have a current or recent computer, the slow sold computer could hamper your work.
    When you think about lenses, you should think about what you want to do, then design a complete kit, even if you do not get them all. This helps to plan the sequence of lenses, so you don't end up duplicating a lens by mistake, or getting a lens that you don't end up using much (been there, done that).
    • Example1, a natural progression from the 18-55 is a 55-200 or a 70-300. Just make sure you get the VR version (VR = Vibration Reduction). Today it does NOT make sense to buy a tele zoom without VR.
    • Example2, or going the opposite direction, for a WIDE lens, like a 12-24. Although that lens has significant overlap with your 18-55.
    • Example3, or a macro lens, if you want to do very close up stuff.
    BTW, I had a D70 that I bought in 2004. I used it for 12 years, and would still be using that camera, if it had not died. It did almost everything that I wanted it to. Today, it's only failure is a max ISO of 1600, that is too low for night and indoor sports. Everything else was just fine.
    I believe in milking all you can out of the gear you have. Until you hit a block, that only a new gear can solve.
    Though there is a point in between, where newer gear would make it easier to shoot. So you don't have to wait till you hit that wall.

jamieconway and marksmith like this.
  2. I agree the other posters, stick with what U have until you know what U want
    www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless