Beep signal for AF

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by arthurrichardson, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Last weekend I was discussing the pros and cons of using the beep signal the camera can produce while focussing.
    Personally I think the sound is annoying. My friend said it helped him a lot.
    Out of curiousity: I was wondering what setting you good people use? Beep or silence?

2. The very very very first thing I did when I bought my D50 and then my D90 was to turn that annoying sound off.
    Wanna scream "AMATEUR NEWBIE" to everybody around you? Then leave it on.
    imho, ymmv, etc...

3. When I buy a new camera the first things to turn off are: AF assist and the beep, both are telling: I'm gonna make a pic.
    I, normally, look never at the green dot, the camera always focus right, only when it won't, dark and low contrast, focus I use it to focus.

4. Put me in the amateur newbie group - I leave it on. I suppose Nikon knew some would like it and some would not - so they give the photographer the option to leave it on or turn it off. How convenient!
    Hans, just aiming the camera in the direction of your subjects tells them you are going to take a picture.

5. mtk

mtk

Count me in the "newbie" group as well...(Been doing this for 25+ years). While I agree that the beep is annoying I definitely find it to be an advantage when I can't see thru the viewfinder...Low angle shots especially. If it is a feature that is available on a camera and it's helpful to your photography I could care less what anybody thinks.
    Mark

6. I turn all camera beeps off, the same as with the beeps on my flash units and nearly all the sounds that PCs make. But the ringer on my cell phone is set to be loud, and I find it useful to have beeps or bells on our oven, microwave, uninterruptible power supplies, doorbell and alarm clocks. Go figure.

7. If I am around a group of people I turn it off...I don't want to bother others, I like to show respect for my surroundings. I do use it when I am alone or in a crowd of a scattered bunch of people where it wouldn't bother them as much. I find it helps me out a lot and I am proud to be a newbie.

8. My beep is very much off. I happen to spend a lot of time photographing tiddlywinks tournaments (yes, really - although I sound slightly less mad if I point out that I also play in them), which take place in relatively quiet surroundings, and can be quite tense. I try to stay out of the player's line of sight (and I can't always be a long way off), focus and frame, and press the shutter only as the player actually plays his shot. The shutter going off is annoying enough that I don't dare use it while someone is lining things up - although it's a D700, so it's quite loud. The only shutter that hasn't bothered me is the leaf shutter on a Rollei TLR. I usually have the autofocus assist light turned off, too.

I mention the tiddlywinks because a friend of mine also takes photographs at tiddlywinks events. He has the beep turned on and often uses flash. I'm amazed nobody's killed him yet - it annoys me even when I'm just trying to line up a photograph.

If you're somewhere loud, or where nothing can be disturbed by the noise (landscapes without moving wildlife), I can see it might be useful - but the viewfinder gives more information about where the focus point is and whether it's locked on. With autofocus, it's usually obvious if there's no lock because the lens keeps hunting. Still, far be it from me to tell people how to use their cameras.

However, if I'm ever in the position where I spend hours stalking a rare piece of wildlife and someone scares it off with an autofocus beep, I may express an opinion. My vague plan to get a 400 f/2.8 does allow for how similar it looks to a club.

9. I'm no pro but I turn both my beep and autofocus assist lamp off because I find them annoying. The green dot in the viewfinder is enough for me because more often than not, my D90 finds focus quickly and accurately, even in low light.

10. I turn off all sounds too. As far as focusing goes, there's the dot in the viewfinder, and the shutter won't fire anyway if the dot is flashing.

11. OK, Now I have to go and find all of the controls for these sounds that you all are talking about. I can't hear any beeps but then again I can't hear that good anyway so they could be on. People have told me my cell phone is extremely loud when ringing I can barely hear it.
    I have a D 90 .... where do I start looking?
    phil b
    benton, ky

12. Phil: Option d1: Beep in the d: shooting/display part of the custom settings menu.

13. Off Topic: Adrew, Thanks! My world just broadened itself. Tiddlywinks, never heard of it before and I am stunned that it is played on an international scale at University level.
    On topic, the AF assist light I find somewhat annoying, yet very helpful so I kind of leave it on. I do agree with Hector on the flash department. Yesterday I used two flashgun as slaves. They beeped the hell out of me. I have to look up how to shut them up.
    Thanks for your replies so far!

14. SCL

SCL

All audio sounds turned OFF! I'm not addicted to ring tunes, and the joys of audio indicators.

15. It was the very first thing I did since my very first "beeping" camera... to turn it off.

16. Arthur: I'm glad I've broadened your world! A few rough images (still need processing), if you're interested. I have the world's most bizarre excuse for a 200 f/2.

I generally leave the AF assist light off, not least because it often just lights up the back of the lens. I'll enable it if I'm using a small lens and the autofocus is really hunting, but the D700 rarely struggles. When I'm really shooting in the dark, it's usually something too far away for the AF-assist light to work anyway (e.g. stars...). The main problem I have is that when I turn it on, I don't notice I've left it that way - you can't see it from the back of the camera, so it annoys everyone but me.

On the other hand, it could be worse. I went to see the 25th anniversary concert of Les Miserables recently. Some people - who had already seen an earlier show - turned up in the middle of one of the more famous songs, sloshing wine bottles. This I could cope with. Taking photos with a point and shoot (in spite of the "no photography" rule) I could cope with - I deliberately refrained, myself. Having the beep and the flash turned on (we were on a dimly-lit balcony a good hundred feet from the stage), and refusing my offer to turn off the flash for them because "it wouldn't help" - that was annoying. Especially since the tickets cost over a hundred quid, and I was there to commemorate the death of my mother (who'd been to see Les Mis with me shortly before she died). I'll generally sympathise with any photographer, but some people need a lesson in etiquette. They were also talking quite audibly. Still, it could have been the Wimbledon final...

17. I should add: my first digital camera (indeed, first camera that I used extensively) was an Agfa ePhoto 1680. It beeped, and you couldn't turn it off. I took most of my photos with a thumb over the speaker grille. It was very tempting to attack the speaker connections with wire cutters. When I've had a phone that's not officially allowed me to silence the shutter sound, I've made a point of hacking it to silence, too. I don't take photos of kids in changing rooms (the alleged reason for making it hard to turn off the noise); I do photograph jumpy wildlife, occasionally when I don't have a decent camera with me.

18. Amateur newbie here; I leave the beep on. I could care less what others think...

19. Brad - I'd never object to someone having the beep on if they actually needed it, and unless we were in circumstances that were very noise-sensitive (wildlife, a show, a tiddlywinks tournament). Even then, it'd be down to timing. I'd only rant if you left the beep on and ignored it - i.e. if the slight annoyance to others wasn't outweighed by its benefit to you.

That said, I wonder how often it's actually useful. Even in the case Mark suggested - low angles where looking through the viewfinder is tricky - I can't imagine how it helps to have a focus confirmation beep without knowing what you've focussed on: I only use auto-area AF because I can see which focus points it's picked. The only time I could see it being useful is when using a zoom angle finder that crops out the focus confirmation LEDs from the viewfinder. Those who are using it: do you think it's just habit that you don't look for the confirmation light, do you have trouble seeing it without losing sight of your subject, or is there another reason you want the audio confirmation?

20. Beep is off, AF Assist lamp is usually off (but sometimes it's quite useful!). What drives me crazy is I think Nikon AF Assist lamps are getting brighter and brighter. I've had some people, pose for a portrait, then they shield their eyes with the mini white searchlight smacks them in the face.
    The AF assist lamp on the flash however... that's just awesome.

21. Off.

22. I usually use continuous focus mode with AF activation disabled (okay, I primarily shoot sports) - so there is no beep. Otherwise I leave the beep on -- didn't realize that it was that loud...

23. Off. I'm hiking near Mt. St.Helens and enjoying the natural beauty. And here comes this dude with a Canon AF SLR and every 5 seconds it's beep! click! Yikes, I wanted to grab his camera and throw it off a cliff. There is usually a focus confirmation light in the viewfinder folks, use that instead of the beep.

24. Andrew thanks for the images. I think Tiddlywink is too violent for me to try. I wouldn't mind a 200mm F2 though.

25. Electronic devices are way too intrusive. Off. Not just on my DSLR but on point and shoots as well.
    See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_pollution
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCgQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FNoise_pollution&rct=j&q=noise%20pollution&ei=ioz-TK2DA4OClAem74nPCA&usg=AFQjCNEc6iGDMkXjK_Entcg7oRUhHSGaRg&cad=rja

26. I personally hate noise!!!!Anykind of noise!!!People cell phone that have their favorite song as a ringer drive me crazy since they let it ring awhile so they can listen to the song ect...Needless to say "No beeping for me" and my phone vibrates but then my son will be a month old thursday so I do put up with some noise(whining, crying ect...) when I don't really have a choice....And the way I look at camera beeps is that if you need a beep to let yo know that you are "in focus" it my also be trying to tell you that you need glasses...

27. I leave the beep on during baby/ kid sessions only.
    Gives them something to focus on.

28. Perhaps, under the circumstances, I should relate that I broke a countdown timer at the most recent tiddlywinks event because people left it going and wandered off. I hit the stop button. With a closed fist. Plastic everywhere. Slightly embarrassing, but I suspect people would have done the same to me if my camera beeped.

It's good to see other people complaining - I was worried I was getting cantankerous in my old age. Some people in the office are quite good at leaving their mobile phones on the desk (the clue as to what's wrong is in the name), where they ring repeatedly. I've taken to leaving them in an empty plastic cup, with a post-it note saying "next time it's full of water" stuck to it.

Again - genuine question, why do people find the beep useful? If I understand, I'm less likely to seethe at them and then take it out on an innocent bystander.

29. Beep? Off.
    AF Assist lamp? On. I shoot in low light often enough that when I actually have an AF lens mounted, I want to get the damn shot. I don't find the white lamp to be too distracting, altho you can mount a Nikon flash (or SU-800) atop the camera to provide a red AF assist grid[1]. Be thankful you don't have a camera that pulses the onboard flash to assist the AF.

1: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=36911914

30. I vote for damn annoying!

31. I turn the beep off even though I am an amateur photographer. I dont like to draw more attention to myself when shooting I draw enough when carrying my gear tripod meter and Yashica MF camera.

32. Follow-up question: so for those of you who turn off that loud, annoying focusing beep -- what do you do to mitigate and/or muffle the accompanying mirror slap sound that follows shortly thereafter?

33. I often shoot 'street' (I shoot other genres, too).
    Some is clandestine, and some is 'in your face'. Only I should know when I am pushing the shutter button/not my subjects.
    The 'beep' tells them I've focused or tried to focus, and if they're feeling uncomfortable, , as many do at first, (they later often relax and revert to their true selves), it may interrupt the whole attempt.
    The 'focus assist' light poses similar problems, especially if shooting out of doors at night.Imagine you're shooting clandestinely in hostile circumstances, (gang territory, war zone, surveillance, etc.) and suddenly the 'focus assist' with its very bright light pops on. How'd you like it to go off in a Philharmonic or at an opera? Maybe during a play when you're standing behind the last row taking a photo of a darkened theater and a bright stage?
    Bang, either you're 'made', or in certain circumstances maybe you're even dead. (a sniper would know quickly enough to shoot at such a bright light).
    There's a case for taking the darn bulb out entirely, rather than just turning it off. (It may come on unexpectedly, even if you take care in menus to turn it off, when there's been a Nikon two-button reset, and even if you have sense to turn it off after a reset, if you give it to a camera tech for a few minutes, they disappear into the back room or your attention is turned away for a minute or two, maybe for billing matters, or paperwork, that reset may take place without your knowledge, and days, weeks or even a month later, you're surprised when the 'focus assist' light toes on and spoils some very good situation, or creates danger (or upset) for you.
    I often practice focusing (basket ball players practice making hoops and why shouldn't photographers practice focusing, and various techniques?) I may do so in restaurants, and if the 'focus assist' button or the 'beep' activate, it may give people the wrong idea, too.
    If I were a landscaper, and I had the shutter set to activate ONLY WHEN FOCUS IS ACHIEVED on my Nikons, then it might be a good adjunct, but then why the 'beep' when the damn thing won't fire anyway? However for sill life, studio, landscape, it may be very helpful if you're an aural sort or sight impaired; some sight impaired photographers rely on the electronic focus indicator rather than focus visually because they cannot see well enough.
    My experience (tell me if I'm wrong) says the 'beep' won't activate when you have the camera set for shutter release even if not in focus on late model digital Nikons, so what's even the point? I never set them any other way, so I never hear a 'beep' ever, anyway (and wouldn't have it any other way. At one distant time I thought ALL my cameras were defective, but I figured it out -- it's in the focus setting, and then only if focus is achieved under the 'focus locked until focus achieved setting, my experiments showed me or my cameras ARE defective.
    You can adjust the sound of the 'beep' on various cameras I've had, so it needn't be loud, but for me it's a non-issue.
    For you, it may be a big deal.
    You needn't be an amateur to use either assist; what works is best for you, and no sense of embarrassment should deter you from taking the best photos. No one should denigrate you or deter you from using the best method for YOU.
    john
    John (Crosley)

34. Scott, I don't sweat the mirror slap. The beep gives the subject time to react, but by the time they hear the mirror slap the photo has already been taken. The only time I'm worried about total silence is shen I'm doing a wedding or somesuch, in which case I try to use the 'Q' mode and a newer lens, since my MF lenses have a pretty noisy clank, even when using the quiet mode.

35. Hah ! Anyone disturbed by the violence in Tiddleywinks should stay well away from Croquet..
    And,when I finally walk into a clearing to confront the eXtraterrestrials, I really don't want my beeper to sound,or my focus confirmation to light up.
    Thanks for the tip : OFF to both.

36. >>> Again - genuine question, why do people find the beep useful?

Again, it's what I like. Nobody cares - subjects in street portraits or candids on the street. It's just not a big
    deal. Nobody is judging me because my camera beeps. Never has anybody mentioned it or even looked sideways at me. I also don't black-tape up my camera brand thinking that anyone notices or cares about that, either.

37. I am a pro using now a D300. I love the beep! When shooting wedding photography, I am busy changing lens, moving around and most of all concentrating on composing great shots. I find the little lever that controls ‘continuous’ and single shot gets flipped without me knowing. So the beep is an extra help for me that helps me remember my focus is locked on. Nobody has every complained my camera is making noise!! For subtle street photography, I can see you might want to turn it off. That’s why you have the option.
    AF light assist is really another topic. For street photos it definitely spooks subjects. But it also has its usefulness. Have you ever been in an Egyptian tomb in Luxor? Again, that’s why you can turn it off and on at will.
    A camera is a tool. The options are there to be used. Use them.

38. The first thing I do when I get a new camera is to turn that sound off. I would also turn off the sound of the mirror slap if I could, unfortunately I can't, and I enjoy the advantages of an SLR (contrary to that, I see no advantage in the focus beep), so I'll live with that. I do find the "mirror slap simulation" sound of compact digital cameras totally pointless. My cell phone makes more noise when I take a picture with it than my D80.

39. Scott - I wish my D700 had the quiet(er) mode option of the D300s etc. - I've tried a compact and a Rollei TLR, but neither really cut it for my needs in spite of their quietness (although if anyone wants to give me a Mamiya 6, I'm prepared to experiment). I do my best to stop the mirror slap annoying people by standing as far away as I reasonably can, and time the shutter release for when it won't cause a distraction (or at least, when I'm disturbing people as little as possible). But I can only do that once I've framed the shot, and when I'm ready to go - the autofocus beep happens earlier, and the gap in which I judge I'm not going to cause annoyance is rarely long enough for me to frame and focus as well as press the shutter. People move.

Unless I'm actually interacting with the subject, I don't believe I have the right to intrude on them in any way while taking the photograph. I'm not prepared to annoy someone with a mirror slap or beep even if I've got the shot by that point. Some people, myself included, are annoyed by high-pitched sounds, so I'd minimise how much I make such noises. I expect the same of other people. On the other hand, if I really needed the beep, I'd balance that against how much it might be annoying people and make a reasonable trade-off; likewise, if I can understand why others need the beep I'll be entirely sympathetic to it intruding on my consciousness, within reason. My photos won't end up as public interest shots in Time magazine; if I thought they would, I might be more willing to shove my lens in someone's face or set up a tripod on a busy street, but I'm not prepared to put people out (significantly) for a personal photo.

Brad - unless you're on a really loud street, I think there's a difference between "nobody cares" and "nobody is prepared to interact with you". If I'm wandering around with a headache, every camera beep, cell phone ring, car horn/radio/clutch or screaming child will make my day a little bit worse, but I'm not going to do more than wince and carry on. If you have a good reason for the beep I'll entirely defend your right to use it - everyone else is only inconvenienced very slightly, unless you distract someone who walks in front of a bus, so the needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many - but I'd feel better if you could justify using the beep more than "you like it". I'm not getting at you personally: your answer will colour how I judge everyone whose camera I hear beeping. (As for taping up the camera, the only people who will look at the camera make will be photography enthusiasts, people worried about advertising policies, and thieves. Unless they actually make a point of looking at you, it's hard to see how you're being a problem.)

Rafi - how many people know that the beep on camera equipment is optional? How many who do know are so put out that they're prepared to come and talk to you when you're clearly busy and presumably have a reason for the camera being set up how it is? If you're already sticking a lens in someone's face and making a shutter noise, the subject is unlikely to complain - it's the people behind you, possibly some distance away, who are likely to be intruded upon by the beep (which does carry much more than a mirror clatter in some circumstances). If you're fast enough - it's always beep-clatter in quick succession - then arguably the beep makes little difference. If you frame and focus, wait, then shoot - you're being twice as intrusive. If you were shooting my wedding, I would ask you to turn off the beep - but then I'd also be cross if you missed a load of shots because the shooting mode was mis-set. I'll certainly agree that the shooting mode switch is in an annoying place, but that's a whole different rant!

Anthony: good answer, although I think I'd just strap a cuddly toy to the lens myself... John: good point about the visually impaired. Oliver: there's some legislation that camera phones should not be entirely silent, because people tended to use them in changing rooms; you can usually override the noise if you try hard enough.

I sound like I feel far more strongly about this than I actually do. It's not so much that I think there's no case for a camera being able to beep or for the existence of an AF-assist light, as that I think these things are often left on by default. I'll never object to someone using a feature, however annoying, if they really need to do so. My frustration is reserved for those who use these features unnecessarily and without thought for everyone else, just an I'm annoyed by SLR slap at a tense moment in a quiet environment, flash photography (that won't work) at a concert, or someone answering a cell phone in a cinema (I speak as someone who heard his father died while I was at the cinema; I had the phone on vibrate and went outside before answering, it's not rocket science). My interest in this thread is because I don't like assuming that people are inconsiderate (or incompetent - I always assume incompetence instead of malice when there's an option), so if there's a reason that I can think "oh, they're only annoying me because they're doing this" then it'll help my blood pressure. It also means I can decide whether I should be cross at the camera manufacturers for leaving the beep on as a default option.

40. >>> Brad - unless you're on a really loud street, I think there's a difference between "nobody cares" and "nobody is prepared to interact with you".
    No, there isn't. Trust me on this, from thousands of hours of shooting on the street from somebody that has direct, first hand experience. Nobody cares. It's mice nuts. You can speculate all you want in the abstract. But I've been out there enough to know.
    >>> If you have a good reason for the beep I'll entirely defend your right to use it...
    OK, it helps let me know my camera has achieved focus. My "right" doesn't need to be defended.

41. I usually have it turned on. It helps when I'm not looking through the viewfinder and such. Usually I can't be asked to turn it off, so if I'm in a situation where I don't want to beep away frivolously, I usually just change to manual or continuous focusing.
    I don't see why it screams amateur newbie beginner novice dilettante if you use the beep sound. I honestly don't. Is it that professionals don't, or can't, use auto focus? Then surely whenever you turn it off, you're only saying, if only to yourself, "I know only amateurs use this, and I'm no amateur, but my situation is different, except the world doesn't know, so this is easier than having to explain to everyone that I am in fact very proficient at what I do all the time". People might think you a prentensious fob for just owning a big DSLR camera, or might conversely think you a pro just for owning a big DSLR.
    And what does it matter anyway, what other people think?
    If you yourself don't like the sound or find it distracting, sure, turn it off. If it's only to impress people you don't know, who cares?

42. >>> Brad - unless you're on a really loud street, I think there's a difference between "nobody cares" and "nobody is prepared to interact with you".

No, there isn't. Trust me on this, from thousands of hours of shooting on the street from somebody that has direct, first hand experience. Nobody cares. It's mice nuts. You can speculate all you want in the abstract. But I've been out there enough to know.​
    Brad - I'm sorry, I realise I struggled to make my point without sounding offensive; it's difficult to talk about the beep being annoying without sounding like I'm getting at those who use it. I really didn't mean to be - it's those who make unnecessary noise in an otherwise quiet environment, and who have no consideration for disturbing others, who bother me. If you assure me that nobody in your vacinity could possibly have been bothered by your camera beeping, I obviously can't claim to know better and I have no reason to doubt your expertise. I can report that I have been annoyed by other people having beeping cameras (usually not pointed at me, I'm not very photogenic), and I generally haven't made the effort to let them know, but I'm prepared to believe that the circumstances in which you use your camera differ from those in which I've felt the noise to be intrusive. I state this only so that nobody reads your post, assumes that your experience means that nobody could ever find a beep annoying, and takes it as a free licence to stand behind me beeping. :)
    >>> If you have a good reason for the beep I'll entirely defend your right to use it...

OK, it helps let me know my camera has achieved focus. My "right" doesn't need to be defended.​
    No problem. If the focus confirmation light is awkward for you to use for some reason, or in your scenario where you're convinced that the beep doesn't impact on others, I wouldn't dream of telling you how to use your camera. It's only those who are annoying others whose reasoning for doing so I'd like to know; this doesn't mean there isn't a reason, just that I'd like to know what it is. Possibly it's something that would help my own photographic technique; possibly I need to acknowledge the physical (well, optical) shortcomings of others. There are those of us who find beeps annoying; next time a friend comments to me that a photographer appears to be beeping unnecessarily, if I know possible justifications for it, I can explain, and everyone will feel better.

I've never felt that the beep added anything to my own camera use, and I acknowledge that the way I'm using a camera, the beep is actively detrimental to others. Unless I learn what I'm missing, I'm obliged to assume that anyone using the beep might not be noticing that it has an impact - and the only time I can justifiably claim that a beep is annoying is when it's annoying me (or the people I'm with). That's why it's hard to discuss this dispassionately: beeping feels personal, even if I've never been annoyed by any poster on these forums.

43. Bo: For what it's worth, I assumed the "newbie" comments had something to do with Mr Rockwell, who generally expects everyone to shoot in exactly the way he does and therefore claims that not turning the beep off means that the photographer hasn't bothered to learn how to use the camera (or at least, how to turn off the beep in the menus). Because the beep defaults to "on", it's how the camera would behave in the hands of someone who'd just picked it up. Nothing to do with professional or amateur in the "making your living out of photography" sense. Indeed, as a technophile, I'm far more qualified to turn the beep off than I am to take a decent photograph.

I wouldn't change how I used the camera just because someone thought I was an incompetent photographer - not least because they're right. I'd change my behaviour if I was actively annoying people who were trying to ignore me, though.

44. Personally I think the sound is annoying. My friend said it helped him a lot.​
    A little belatedly: Arthur, as OP, did you ask your friend why it "helped him a lot"?

45. If the beep screams "Amateur Newbie" then I would hate to see what a bad photo screams.
    Personally, I leave the beep on unless I'm in a quiet concert setting. The cool "quiet" feature on my d300s lets me turn it and all other sounds off with a dial spin. Good feature.

46. Tyson - nice feature, I didn't know the D300s behaved like that. Perhaps when I get a D800 (or, more likely, D900).

Belatedly, to answer my own question: I can see why someone in a studio doing model shots would use the beep - if you're taking lots of photos while the subject moves and is concentrating entirely on you, confirmation that you've got the focus locked while concentrating on the centre of the viewfinder probably matters. I guess it also matters more if you use AF-On rather than autofocus from the shutter release, so you know when to take your hand off the AF-On button without moving your eye in the finder. I can't imagine that I'd be bothered to do that in those circumstances, though, and I'd never use it for candids or wildlife (which is most of what I shoot). Just showing some sympathy for the devil. :)

47. @Andrew: I rather see your point about this Rockwell chap. I'm not exactly under his spell, as it were. Just thought it a somewhat weird point to bring up so forcefully, this whole amateur-beep. I agree quite strongly with your notion about knowing how to turn things off on your camera doesn't equal being a competent photographer. I had no idea that it was possible to turn it off until someone pointed it out to me some while ago, and hadn't it been for that chap, I still wouldn't know.
    Anywho... people and their bickering... :)

48. Bo - quite. I actually have less of a pathological dislike for KR than most on Photo.net (in spite of him posting a "patent declaration" immediately after I sent him a camera feature suggestion, without any credit to me; not that I mind, it was just a bit rude), but I'm fully aware that you have to sift the facts from the opinions on his site, and treat it as entertainment. Still, he's the source of a few photography-related memes - and not everyone realises when they're (at least when quoted) tongue-in-cheek. In this case, there's an argument for RTFM to know about the beep when you get a camera - but this'll bring me onto my old rant that Nikon only let Nikon owners download the manuals. Which is stupid, because the first thing I'd do before throwing a lot of money at a company is download the manual for what I'm going to buy, and see whether the product does what I want it to do (and whether the marketing is correct, since it often isn't). For some reason, sales departments are more worried about people selling counterfeit manuals than they are with letting customers decide to buy their products. I can't persuade several friends to switch from Canon because they can't read Nikon's current manuals first. *Seethe.*

Unfortunately it's hard to post on this topic without sounding like you're bickering. I'm generally quite mild-mannered, but I'm coming across as really cantankerous. Oh well, there goes my reputation (if I had one).

49. hey guess what, my D700 beep sound is flawed, it's so low in the hi mode, my setting, that I can hardly but definitely hear it , so no one is annoyed and I like it's reassuring "it's focused" announcement. BTW I can not believe this silly topic attracts so much attention, but here I am as well :)

50. @Andrew: I'm with you on the manual issue. It is weird, and belongs to that sphere of life I only know about from hearsay: marketing and sales. One of life's great mysteries...
    Your reputation is still intact and shiny in my book :) (assuming it was always shiny. Otherwise consider it buffed up to a respetacble shine in my aforementioned book).

51. A little off-topic, but I thought anyone could download a non-printable pdf version of the manuals from the Nikon site. If you want to print it, yes, you need a serial number (or program that removes restrictions from pdf files). I downloaded the manuals of several Nikon cameras that I didn't own from Nikon's website, exactly for the purpose of evaluating them and deciding whether I needed them or not.

52. Beep or don't beep, it's up to you.

53. Oliver - unless something's changed since I last tried (and it may have - I made a point of contacting Nikon and telling them they were losing sales), I've needed to own (I think have the serial number of) a Nikon product before I could download a manual - although I can download the manual of any Nikon product thereafter. It might be a country-specific thing - I was probably looking in Nikon UK. If things have changed, yay; if it's a regional thing, consider my complaint levelled at Nikon UK rather than head office.

Actually, I just tried it again, from a computer I don't normally use (in case I have cookies enabling it). www.nikon.co.uk, service and support, select D7000 and the user manuals tab, and I get "product registration is required to access user manual downloads." It looks like you can just create an account with Nikon rather than needing to register anything these days, but I didn't go through the whole process. It's still an annoyance. The non-printing thing is news to me - I printed a D700 manual (which I guess came out before the printing block) to take with me to the store. This was before the D700 was launched, so I was actually comparing features on a D3 before I placed my D700 order, and I couldn't have taken an official D700 manual if I'd wanted to. I guess I could have taken a laptop (or e-reader), but paper was vastly more convenient, and better for the environment (than the laptop, anyway). I tend to print manuals to read on my lunch break, and getting food on a laptop isn't my idea of fun.

I wouldn't think that Nikon make enough money out of selling manuals for it to be worthwhile getting in the way of people printing them (although given how much Adobe charge for CS manual hard copies...) Oh well; Canon used to do the same (hence the eosdoc project), but seem to have got over it. They default to the focus confirmation beep being on as well, btw.

54. Off when needed. If I am shooting a wedding, I turn it and the AF light off. Turn it off when you need to be less "intrusive."

55. Andrew, I did ask him why it helped him. He said that being a novice any confirmation from the camera was helpfull.

56. Arthur - even if it backs up the "newbie" perspective, I suppose I have to say fair enough. :) At least it's a reason; thanks.

57. Andrew: I was looking at Nikon USA (I am not in America, but for some reason that site loads faster than the local one, so for information on products, that is usually where I go), and through this link, if you scroll down and click any of the DSLRs, without logging in or anything, you'll see different versions of the product manual (even in Spanish), with the non-printable ones freely available for download.
    http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13948

58. Cool - thanks, Oliver. I'll try there next time. (I've been paranoid about the US Nikon site because it's had a habit of leaking memory in the browser, but it seems to have been better recently, so I'll give them another go.)

59. I don't really care about the beep it does not bother me at all. I usually get round to turning off the beep when I have to photograph a funeral or some other situation where I need to be as quite as possible and then it stays off until I remember that the camera used to beep and I turn it back on again.