Beep signal for AF

ArthurRichardson

<p>A little off-topic, but I thought anyone could download a non-printable pdf version of the manuals from the Nikon site. If you want to print it, yes, you need a serial number (or program that removes restrictions from pdf files). I downloaded the manuals of several Nikon cameras that I didn't own from Nikon's website, exactly for the purpose of evaluating them and deciding whether I needed them or not.</p>

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Oliver - unless something's changed since I last tried (and it may have - I made a point of contacting Nikon and telling them they were losing sales), I've needed to own (I think have the serial number of) a Nikon product before I could download a manual - although I can download the manual of <i>any</i> Nikon product thereafter. It might be a country-specific thing - I was probably looking in Nikon UK. If things have changed, yay; if it's a regional thing, consider my complaint levelled at Nikon UK rather than head office.<br />

<br />

Actually, I just tried it again, from a computer I don't normally use (in case I have cookies enabling it). www.nikon.co.uk, service and support, select D7000 and the user manuals tab, and I get "product registration is required to access user manual downloads." It looks like you can just create an account with Nikon rather than needing to register anything these days, but I didn't go through the whole process. It's still an annoyance. The non-printing thing is news to me - I printed a D700 manual (which I guess came out before the printing block) to take with me to the store. This was before the D700 was launched, so I was actually comparing features on a D3 before I placed my D700 order, and I couldn't have taken an official D700 manual if I'd wanted to. I guess I could have taken a laptop (or e-reader), but paper was vastly more convenient, and better for the environment (than the laptop, anyway). I tend to print manuals to read on my lunch break, and getting food on a laptop isn't my idea of fun.<br />

<br />

I wouldn't think that Nikon make enough money out of selling manuals for it to be worthwhile getting in the way of people printing them (although given how much Adobe charge for CS manual hard copies...) Oh well; Canon used to do the same (hence the eosdoc project), but seem to have got over it. They default to the focus confirmation beep being on as well, btw.</p>

<p>Andrew: I was looking at Nikon USA (I am not in America, but for some reason that site loads faster than the local one, so for information on products, that is usually where I go), and through this link, if you scroll down and click any of the DSLRs, without logging in or anything, you'll see different versions of the product manual (even in Spanish), with the non-printable ones freely available for download.</p>

<p><a href="http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13948">http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13948</a></p>

<p>I don't really care about the beep it does not bother me at all. I usually get round to turning off the beep when I have to photograph a funeral or some other situation where I need to be as quite as possible and then it stays off until I remember that the camera used to beep and I turn it back on again.</p>