B&W Processing - Reels and Tanks Recommendation Please!

flying_tiger

As I mentioned in the other thread, I'll take a Basic Darkroom

course for B&W processings and printing. However, I don't have any

prior experience.

Based on my readings, the difficult part in processing is to load

the film on reels properly. Therefore, I'd like to practice loading

with a waste roll of film before attending the clss. I'll start by

loading the film in daylight then I'll do it with my eye closed.

So I need to get reels for 35mm and 120 format. I also need to get

tanks for 35mm and 120 format later. Shall I get the tanks for a

single roll or multiple rolls?

Could you recommend some high quality stainless reels and tanks?

What brand(s) are of good quality? Thanks.

Richard

If you're going SS, then you're best bet is to get Hewes or, if you can find ones in good condition, Nikkor reels. I would recommend getting a 2x35/1x120 tank (fits 2 35mm reels or 1 120 reel). The brand of tank doesn't matter as much. If you buy used, make sure the reels are not banged up in anyway, and that the lid to the tank is still in good shape.

I don't use SS for 35mm, so take my comments with a grain of salt. I use Nikkor SS reels for 120, though.

allan

Get a Paterson-like tank.

The plastic spirals allow you to fit any format.

Easy to load, easy to clean/maintain

If you decide to use Stainless tanks, you'll need to buy tanks/apirals for both formats.

Freestlye has those under the KALT brand, good and cheap

That's a good plan to practice with a scrap roll beforehand. It will save you a lot of frustration in the dark. Before you commit to stainless steel tanks and reels, you might want to consider the plastic variety. I use both, but more often than not, I use the plastic tanks. The automatic feeding reels that most often come with these tanks are relatively easier to load than the SS variety and there is no difference in the final result over the stainless steel variety. They are adjustable so you won't need to buy a separate set of reels for 35mm and 120 and are a lot less expensive than a good set of SS reels.

http://www.adorama.com/DKTPU.html

Stainless tanks and reels are very nice, but unless you really need to use tham are not really worth the money. The tanks themselves aren't that expensive, but outfitting the tank with the reels can add up fast. The tank itself (4x35mm or 2x120) can be had new for about $20, but comes with no reels. Cheap SS reels (~$7 each) are often very diffcult or even impossible to load correctly. The good reels cost around $20 each. Do the math. You might want to reconsider.

Cheap steel reels often come pre-bent, making them hard to load and causing new enthusiasts to lose their enthusiasm. Premium steel reels usually cost so much, people new to processing aren't willing or they can't afford to buy them.

I was impressed recently when I decided to buy a new supply of reels and I ordered the "High Grade" Kalt reels from B&H. They only cost a couple of bucks more than the cheap reels. The one's I got were easy to load and obviously of better quality. If you can't afford Hewes reels, I recommend trying these if you're interested in steel tanks and reels.

As for tanks, I have several brands and they all work about the same. My most used tanks are generic ones with plastic lids. The lids will leak--sometimes even when new. You can get replacements and I recommend you get a couple of extra lids for each tank. Some fit better than others. Also, use a towel around the lid when processing to catch any spills.

I'll add to the others who suggest higher grade steel reels, specifically Hewes. One big difference with Hewes 35mm reels are the little sprocket tabs that keep the film from creeping and make loading a lot easier. I think that the 120 size reels also have better designed film clips than others I have tried, and they're beefier. Hewes costs a little more, but will last forever.

When I bought my first set of SS reels, I got 4x35mm of the generic ones from Adorama which cost about $6 apiece. Every one of them was pre-bent and you couldn't load them right for love or money. I traded them right back for 4 Hewes reels and these things work great. They load right the first time, every time and wee worth every penney. Used or cheap SS reels are a crap shoot. They may be good but they may also be useless. Interestingly enough though, the 120 reels I bought are the cheap ones and they work just fine.

It looks like Hewes reels are of high quality. Where are they made? In the U.S.? Anybody has experience with Kinderman SS reels? They're probably the most expensive ones in the market.

I'm not saying I'll spend big money on reels but am curious to know the quality of reels available in the market.

Thanks.

I wouldn't do more than one 120 or two 135 at a time. Using a tank twice that height, with a rigid spacer between the reels and lid and enough liquid to just cover the reels, one easy inversion completely lifts the film from then returns it to a homogenous solution - no foaming, shaking, beating, sprocet holes, or tire tracks on the film.

Hewes. The 35mm are the easiest SS ones on the market to load. And the 120's are far easier than the competetors, although they still require practice, especially so you won't get density moons in your images.

As for tank size, it really depends on your usage and how many you think you will develop at a time. If I were you, I'd lean toward getting two sizes...one for 2 rolls 35mm (1 roll 120), and 8 rolls 35mm (4 rolls 120) just for the flexability. I think they might even make still a 6 roll 35mm (3 roll 120) still but that might be hard to find. With this approach, you will save yourself some time when you have an odd number of rolls and not having to do another run. When this happens, use the larger tank and put in an extra, empty real so the film reels don't move around more and increase your contrast.

The tanks can be almost any brand, and there are cheap ones. But don't skrimp on the reels...go Hewes!

BTW, they are made in England, for the person who asked.

Alexis

www.alexisneel.com

PS Palstic ones are ok, but I think SS are better

I used Kinderman reels in the mid-1970's. I haven't had any experience with them since then, so the newer models might be of a differenct design. The 35mm Kinderman's I used back then had a clip that required you to cut the leader to fit. If the leader fit, it was easy to load. If the leader didn't fit, it was a pain to load. Getting the leader cut to fit in the dark was a pain. I did not like them for that reason.

Get Hewes stainless-steel reels and an SS tank. Compared to what people drop on camera gear and expendables, this is an investment that will last you a lifetime.

Some of the plastic reels and tanks are decent, but can be a real PITA if there's even a drop of moisture on them.

If you've ever tried any other reels and had problems with them, you'll be delighted at how easy it is to use Hewes reels... they make it practically impossible to load film incorrectly.

I never liked using SS tanks, the spools werent always easy to load, and filling and

emptying was less slick than a plastic tank - which always seem to have wider throats.

The Jobo reels were particularly good. They dont rely on a ball bearing mechanism- like

Paterson- which can become sticky, instead the edge of the spiral is cut away slightly so

you can advance the film in with your finger tips. Uniquely, I believe, its possible to load

2 x 120 films end to end in a single spiral, without having to splice them together.

I ues a mix of Nikor, Kindermann, Hewes, and generic Japanese 120 size reels for 120 and find them all pretty easy to load. FWIW I have a SLIGHT preference for the Nikors. OTOH in 35 mm. the ONLY reels I can consistantly load without problems are Kindermanns, using the Kindermann loader that lets you crank the film onto the reel. With 120 film, I find these loaders to be more trouble than they're worth.

Been using Nikor ones for 45 years. All are good as new.

The plastic capped ss ones will break in the lid. I had one split in the dark as I capped the tank and the fog ruined a roll. I will never use it again.

Patterson System 4 works ok too. Agitate by inverssion except first cycle and store with the cap off. Don`t get wetting agent on the reel or it will gunk up and not load over time. There is no way to clean it.

I use Nikor tanks in 35mm 2/35mm 4/35mm 2/120 and a recently aquired 4x5 that hold 12 sheets and needs only 1 quart of solution.

These were $40 in 1960, a $300 value today.

With care a new Kinderman will be a lifetime investment.

Another vote for the Paterson tanks. I've been using them for YEARS, and, I swear, I've gotten so I could load them in the dark....

Actually, so long as you keep them clean and dry, they'll last forever, they load the new, thin-based films very well, they're flexible for different formats, and you can add reels and tanks as you go along. After a big shoot, it's really nice to be able to soup five rolls of 35 in one session. I've used SS tanks, but, weirdly enough, prefer the feel of the Paterson plastic.

Steve