Are Any Film Cameras Still Being Made?

Discussion in 'Modern Film Cameras' started by Vincent Peri, Mar 29, 2021.

1. I bought doubles, even triples, of favorite 35mm SLRS 10+ years ago when many in nice shape went for very little money. Mint or EXC+ medium format gear(Bronica and Mamiya) wasn't much more. If doing it again today, I'd probably skip it, due mostly to the thinned ranks of qualified repair talent. Sure, there are the Sherry Krauters and Sover Wongs of this world, but 25-40 year-old prosumer/amateur 35mm SLRs are tough to get fixed and easier just to pitch. When pros turned away from film, medium format repairs got scarce, too.

I'm a light film user and trust my back-ups will last me. I stopped buying film gear around 5 years ago mainly because the quality had slipped dramatically.

2. And I will continue to peruse Nikkormats that one has a hard time spending more than $100 on. My latest is a very clean FT3. Though a less optioned kid sis of the F’s I don’t think any other camera has a superior build.

] and robert_bowring like this.
  3. ]

]

Agree highly. My old Nikkormat FTn is as well built as any F. And dependable, faithful, and loyal.

robert_bowring likes this.
  4. m42dave

m42dave Dave E.

$100 for a Nikkormat seems a bit high to me :) For that price, I could buy four Cosina-based SLRs (Argus STL 1000, Ricoh Singlex TLS, Chinon Memotron, Vivitar 450/SLD, etc.), Perhaps not as refined but every bit as rugged, with reliable Copal shutters. I paid $10 for my GAF L-ES in mint condition, and it's one of the best users I have, not to mention the huge choice of great lenses available.

I have used a couple of Nikkormats and they are well made, though I never cared for their ergonomics.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  5. ]

]

Ricoh Singlex TLS is not Cosina built, and an excellent camera. Better Cosina models are fine. I prefer Nikkormat build quality (and so would you if you had Cerebral Palsy, I've brassed up, dinged, and dented my fair share of cameras and fine lenses). I like old Rikenon and Nikkor Lenses. And prefer manual and mechanical.

6. m42dave

m42dave Dave E.

According to Learn Camera Repair (a site created by professional repair technician Gene Pate) the Ricoh Singlex TLS was made by Cosina. It was also sold as the Sears TLS.

Cosina Camera List | Learn Camera Repair

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  7. ]

]

The original Ricoh Singlex was definitely Ricoh mount (and also adapted for Nikon F mount as the Nikkorex, also sold as a rare Sears SL 11 version with Sears branded Nikon F mounted lenses, themselves rare). That original Ricoh SLR was designed by Mamiya (the Prismat) There was also a K-Mart version. of the Ricoh Singlex TLS, as a Focal. It's rare. Thanks for clarification. Ricoh made some very nice cameras (and still does today).

8. I am hopeful that the renewed interest in film cameras by young people will generate more film production. They seem to be finding mom and dad's grandma's and grandpa's film cameras and finding the mystique of exposing and then anticipating seeing the results the age old "DID THEY COME OUT"? if you will. As for myself I am quite happy with my AGFA BILLY COMPUR. IKOFLEX 1 AND 2 BRONICA S2A AND LEICA M-3 all of which will be eminently usable when the planned obsolescence built into digital machines render them expensive paperweights or doorstops.