Adobe No longer supports CS4?

<p>Just purchased a D7000 and I can't download the latest raw converters. Seems Adobe only now supports CS5. If I'm wrong I aplogize up front but damn Adobe I only purchased this software what a year and a half ago at best and you are giving me the middle finger on support?</p>

<p>1_they put a free DNG converter.</p>

<p>2_they dont ask you to buy a new camera</p>

<p>3_why dont you use the Nikon software to develop your shot? Adobe dont force you to use there software</p>

<p>4_They have put a really better alternative call Lightroom at a fraction of the price.. heck, they even have a Photoshop Elelement for less than 100$... and it support all the current camera.</p>

<p>Why do you need Photoshop? .. a serious question from a serious photo retoucher that NEED this software because this is what i do for living.. but why do YOU *think* you need it? because you use it for a long time? Lightroom is a far better alternative at a fraction of the cost, and can do pretty much all of what you need.. except adding / removing problem, panoramic images, HDR, a stiching.. other than that, all you need is there. You can even get Aperture for 80$!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>That's kind of like saying my car company no longer supports my car because it won't plug into an electrical outlet. I bought a gas version, but I don't understand why with new technology, I can't use electricity now, instead.</p>

<p>If the oil companies came out with a new kind of gas that was incompatible with existing cars, would you blame the auto industry or the oil industry?</p>

<p>I like how Leica deals with RAW files. Their cameras right in DNG format. That means there is no waiting for Adobe to develop new software. Thats mean there is no worrying about updating your version of Photoshop.</p>

<p>Seems like Adobe is caught in the middle. Their developers want a salary for doing new work. The camera manufacturers want to create proprietary formats that aren't backwards compatible. The users don't want to pay for a new product.</p>

<p>Eric</p>

Micheal, you speak what bothers many for years. It's what happens when there is only one horse in town with no competition. And I still don't see the other side of the argument and why anyone would support Adobe on this practice and justify it. From a coding point of view, It is SO EASY to make the latest ACR upgrades available to the previous version. The reasons for upgrading from CS4 to CS5 should stand on their own and make it attractive to do so in terms of functions and filters and increased workflow and not from painting us into a corner with our own data files. It's nothing more than corporate greed with an agenda to convert your files into their dng format or pry even more money from pocket. Or both.

<p>Perish the thought that Adobe should update the previous version of ACR for new cameras every few months. I mean, this must be a mammoth task, requiring a small army of lavishly paid programmers that might put Adobe's $18 billion market cap in serious danger! It's not like one guy could do this sort of thing in his spare time! Oh, wait:<br>

http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/</p>

<p>'Think of critical software as an annual subscription rather than a purchase.'</p>

<p>This is, of course, exactly the business model Adobe (and others) would like to push. As an extra incentive, a critical security bug will probably be uncovered shortly after the official support period has ended, and that expensive (but now unpatched) Creative Suite will be too dangerous to keep around.</p>

<p>Most of what I would like to say regarding your particular (actually not particular at all) issue, Michael, has been added already by some of the above... Know that you're not alone. One aspect of my own situation I need to present here though. My work horse, a Canon 7D opens just fine in CS4 and ACR. A recent addition, a 60D, replacing a T2i, as a back-up, does not. CS5 or neither ACR nor LR... But for me, working with non Intel Apple computers, CS5 is a No-No. It's the much quoted <em>"between a rock and a hard place.</em>"<br>

Consequence..? I try to use the 60D as little as possible. Anything shot with that camera I have to review in Canon's own DPP, then transform chosen images into TIFF files, before I can process them in the CS4-Shp.<br>

Funny times are here again.</p>

<p>[[Anything shot with that camera I have to review in Canon's own DPP, then transform chosen images into TIFF files, before I can process them in the CS4-Shp.<br /> Funny times are here again.]]</p>

<p>Again, why not just convert from RAW to DNG (which are RAW files) using the free and handy tool and work with them in CS4?</p>

<p><strong>Daily</strong> I work with CS2 and CS5. Generally I am dead set in having to process my 7D's raws in CS2, however, I can when I want via the DNG converter. I try to avoid it since the ACR 6 in CS5 blows away CS2's. But still... lots of whining here against an industry standard, full pro product. Guess what? Adobe provides the DNG converter for FREE. DNG has been talked about as a solution here for YEARS, nothin' new.</p>

<p><em>"Funny times are here again...."</em><br>

In any case, there are easy solutions to our problems. But, it's easier to whine sometimes. I get it. Damn you Adobe for upgrading your software every 18 mos. and forcing us to buy it or upgrade! As if...</p>

<p>Patrick why is it any of your damn business why I need and use Photoshop? You work for Adobe? And whether I need it or not has nothing to do with my original gripe about a company that won't update a $650 piece of software that was the most recent version not all that long ago. No instead I need to pay $200 more to process raw files on my D7000. I have the DNG converter but it's slower and just adds another step.</p>

<p>true, not my business... was asking so i can suggest other alternative.. just cool down. Many option are there for you, free, with a price, slow, fast.. choose your poison ; )</p>

<p>i just dont understand why people keep upgrading there camera but complain about upgrading there software, witch is a important piece of equipment also.</p>

<p>I just think that in 2011, Theres is many option for photographer other than Photoshop CS5, and if you dont like it, you have plenty of software to work with. Element 9 for 100$ is one of them.. far less expensive then is big brother, for a similar toolbox.</p>

<p>Patrick asked a more than fair question -- you just took it the wrong way.<br>

(It's called the Socratic Method) (self examination in a way, stimulates critical thinking - they "why" not just that "what")</p>

<p>E.g., people ask often in a popular forum here -- ''I want to upgrade my camera, should I?'' I answer with a simple quiz, from basic knowledge to intermediate level... it's silly how many people want to upgrade know very little about the tool and how to use it... yet they really "want to upgrade"; it is also nice to see good, learned answers demonstrating they know and are ready.)</p>

<p>[[And whether I need it or not has nothing to do with my original gripe about a company that won't update a $650 piece of software that was the most recent version not all that long ago. No instead I need to pay $200 more to process raw files on my D7000.]]</p>

<p>If you don't like Adobe's business model then don't support it. There are plenty of alternative tools available for photographers. It's quite wonderful to have such choice.</p>

<p><em>If you don't like Adobe's business model then don't support it. There are plenty of alternative tools available for photographers.</em></p>

<p>Easier said than done, and just fine and dandy if you know that going in. However, most new customers to PS (and there are many this day and age) are not aware such expensive software is so short lived. As really, what other, especially at that price, is only supported for...18 months?</p>

<p>Please name one or two choices that professionals make a living with other than Adobe? Gimp? Lol...</p>

<p><em>I have the DNG converter but it's slower and just adds another step.</em></p>

<p>As well as other things. Best to spend the $200 imo and avoid dng.</p>

<p>for <strong>professional</strong>? nothing else, except maybe <strong>Lightroom / Aperture</strong> that some pro photographer use because they do not need to add / remove anything or a combo of those 2 + Photoshop.</p>

<p>for <strong>amateur / serious hobbyist? </strong>Gimp, Lightroom, Aperture, Element, DPP, Capture NX, Capture 1 or a combo of all of the above.</p>

<p>If i was just a serious guy who enjoy photography and dont make a living out of it, i would use Lightroom + a wacom bamboo and get Element for free... all that for less than 450$.. then upgrade when needed. Or just get Lightroom + Element for around 350$-400$.</p>

<p>Agree with you G about the DNG, but its free... so if the OP is 200$ short, its a viable option.. for now ; )</p>

<p>Well, THANK YOU..!<br>

Thanks to Rob & Scott in particular. We're all here to sometimes HELP or receive some... What a simple way to resolve Michael Ferron's (and my) problem. I can confirm already that the DNG conversion is a lot faster then the loop via TIFF. Funny that I was never made aware of the possibility by Adobe. After all, I work with 3 different Bridge-connected of their sw's and receive update alerts on a regular basis. This easy solution was never on the plate. Seems like they keep quiet about it on purpose. Meanwhile images from the 60D, once converted to ING's, opened without further hindrances in the ACR of CS4.<br>

Funky times are here again.</p>

<p>Garrison:</p>

<p>How does Photoshop only work for 18 months? You're wanting a new feature. Your existing Photoshop will continue to work.</p>

<p>You mention being a professional. Let's pretend you take portraits. Would you take a new photo *gratis* for your clients every year and a half? "Well, the old one no longer currently reflects what my family looks like. Why won't you upgrade the photo you took just last year for free?"</p>

<p>I'm running CS4. I'm going to have to upgrade soon if I want support for a new camera I want. Last time I bought a new camera, I was on the current version, and Adobe provided free downloads so I could read the new format. At a certain point, I choose to upgrade or I choose to remain at the same. if I remain at the same, it's not Adobe's fault that my software continues to function the same as it always has.</p>

<p>Eric</p>

<p> </p>

<p><em>How does Photoshop only work for 18 months? You're wanting a new feature. Your existing Photoshop will continue to work.</em></p>

<p>Eric, we're talking about support. Support and upgrades for CS4. No one is talking about a switch being flicked and suddenly your CS4 deactivates, are we now? You get 18 months, until they release the new version, for support and upgrades of the previous version. I, and others, feel it is pretty lame compared to industry standards and expectations. Were else does this happen? Imo, it's nothing more than greed and companies such as Adobe that have become number 1 by aggressive take overs and buying/squashing the competition get away with it.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I can confirm already that the DNG conversion is a lot faster then the loop via TIFF.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Once in dng, Wolf, you'll not be able to use your canon software again. Now you're faced with a work-flow, back-up, and archiving conundrum that many have faced before you and as a result, stopped converting to dng. We avoid it and buy the upgrade and play along. Besides, CS5 has many great features over CS4 anyways.</p>

<p>Sorry Garrison, by instinct (of doing the prudent thing) I seem to be one ahead of you... Also, if you had read my 1st posting on this here Forum, you could have deducted that I am perfectly willing to upgrade to CS5. But the 2 co's on the <em>other side</em> won't let me. Unless, of course, I cough up a few thou. That they'll allow. For sure.<br>

As to my newly converted to <strong>DNG's</strong>, they are copies (in a new folder). The originals can still be opened in DPP and subsequently made into TIFFs.</p>