ADBLOCK...blocking use of No Words forum

Discussion in 'Photo.net Site Help' started by frigo, Nov 21, 2017.

1. And you joined this place today, just to tell us the real evil is the AdBlocker business?
    Thanks, but no thanks.

Glenn, glad to hear that paying members should not see this banner, I do sincerely hope it comes to an actual change on the website behaviour soon.
    Another consideration here too is that while you do your best to place ads yourselves, they are structurally all US-based. A good part of the visitors is from other continents too, so you're missing out a part of the audience there. And while you're organising the ads directly, try to block any add that is animated (or make any noise), as those are the ones that lead people to ad-blockers in the first place.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    Dieter Schaefer and frigo like this.
  2. Norman 202

Norman 202 i am the light

shhhh. let them tailor the ads for a US-based audience. why would Nikon USA advertise to a destitute limey in Thailand :)

kendunton likes this.
  3. kendunton

kendunton Edinburgh

It's probably your antivirus that is also blocking. Most antivirus software nowadays has an option for this.
    Finding it is fun :)

4. G-P

G-P Administrator Staff Member

Yes, that was me sharing the AdBlocker business model information

I was signed in as a test user as I was testing at the time, I didn't realize I was signed in as a test user until after I posted it. But fact remains, all of the information which I posted is all 100% true - the sums of money they want to allow us to serve ads on our own site are ridiculous and there is no way we could ever pay it - and they know it, so they brush us aside and say - "come to us when you have the money". BUT WAIT THERE IS MORE, THEY DO THIS EVEN though we comply with their "manifesto" we are closed to network advertising (no annoying network ads). 100% of the ads on this site are originated from us and our direct deals with those advertisers - again we are in compliance with their "manifesto" - yet they want large sums of money - so where do THEIR INTERESTS lie? We're trying to keep the site going for the community - no one is driving around in Ferrari's around here I assure you - yet some people side with the extortion artists. Now I grant you, I understand from a user perspective why one would use an AdBlocker if the site served network ads, those ads are exactly what none of us want to see - which is why we no longer take them.

This article (click here) and many others like it influenced us to ask the community of free users to whitelist us on their AdBlocker. If you are a subscriber to photo.net you won't have the AdBlocker, Blocker issue.

As it relates to international ads - we have worked a deal with CreativeLive to take many of those impressions - those ads are not intrusive and they are relevant to photography - we're integrating those ads now.

5. Reading through this thread I get the impression that the majority of the either "free" uses or paying members do not have big issues with ads and/or whitelisting the site.

As is often the case at PN since v.2, the issue is mostly with the abysmal implementation and shoddy follow up.

6. G-P

Good - because upwards of 40% of our free users are using ad blocking tech when they don't need to on photo.net and should have no issue whitelisting us or if they choose not to whitelist us - choose to subscribe instead. Look at all the fun you can have for as little as 9 cents a day. Bigger picture - users that utilize adblockers will see popular publishers do this more and more as publishers decide not to pay the extortion the adblock technology companies - the internet is not free despite the rumors it is. Those that decide to pay the extortion will only need to make up the revenue lost to them another way. Don't think for a moment Facebook, Twitter, Google to name only a few have the valuations they do because they give it away for free and/or have no plans to make up the revenue lost to these thieves.

7. Norman 202

Glenn, I am a subscriber. When can I expect to no longer see the oh-no adblock banner.

1E5CB08F-F65D-4B6B-BBF9-7C228206D35C.jpeg

8. Fix the site and then we'll talk.

I will say this here and now-if one of the "top tier programmers" can fix the following problems, I will renew my subscription the moment I'm satisfied that they're fixed:

1. Fix the random server errors, posting errors, etc

2. Don't make me wait 5 minutes or whatever the arbitrary time set time is between posting

3. The big one-don't make me have to close the site and log back in every day in order for the site to be usable.

Surely these are things that the "top tier" programmers working on one of the most popular forum software packages on the net these days can address.

Until then, I won't whitelist the site and I won't subscribe. Fix them and I'll do both.

9. G-P

Do you see it now?

10. G-P

Regarding your "big one" - most browsers these days will ask you if you want to save your user name and password after they are input. Just say yes when asked and your problem is addressed. Screen Shot 2017-11-28 at 4.32.11 PM.png

11. No, it's not solved.

The fact that I have to go through the song and dance of closing the window, going to the home page, logging in, and then coming back to the fora on a daily basis is still an issue. It's not something I've had to do on any other forum of which I've been a member over the past 15 years, including the old Pnet and several Xenforo fora.

Saving passwords is irrelevant.

Once again, can one of these "top tier programmers" that you claim you're paying look into this? I've only been complaining about it for about 6 months now.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  12. Having endured the forum ads now for a couple of days using my ipad (earlier I claimed they didn't bother me but after a few days that started to) and also seeing the ads thrown in between images on my portfolio as well as on each individual photo (annoying as all get out), I've had enough advertisement exposure for a while. As I quite heavily contribute in the fora (I hardly use the photo side of photo.net) I feel I should not see ads there at all and have reactivated the adblocker on my desktop (even with PN whitelisted I still didn't see ads so there is no difference for me anyway) as well as using a way I stumbled across to make the ads disappear on my ipad. To make up for the lost ad revenue for photo.net and give back for courtesy previously received, I just subscribed for one year hoping for a significant improvement of this site before my renewal is up.

Ben wrote above: Fix the site and then we'll talk
    Me: Money talked, now fix the site.

On my ipad, I can't even do that.

Annoys the daylights out of me as well (and yes, the time seems to have shortened from 24 hours previously). I believe this is by desgin even though for the life of me I can't figure out what would be the issue if one stayed logged in longer. I even got logged out a couple of times while writing a response in a thread!

13. Vincent Peri

Vincent Peri Metairie, LA

Earlier this year, when it was time for me to re-log in, the page would reload rapidly, over and over until I managed to log in again. Then a couple (?) of months ago, the rapid reloading stopped, but I still had to log in daily. Now, I'm able to go several days (knock on wood) without having to log back in. So there has been some improvement for me.

Of course, I don't post photos here, because I'm a freakin' anti-digital film shooter LOL.

Hmm... what's digital...?
    [​IMG]

14. Norman 202

Yes. i have logged out and back in again. shut down safari, restarted iphone, called ghostbusters …and it’s still there.

Wouter Willemse and gordonjb like this.
  15. I still have the anti-ad-block banner. Firefox 57, Opera 49, Edge 41 on Windows 10. uBlock Origin as ad-blocker on all three. So doesn't seem fixed yet (but at least it's consistent between browsers).

16. G-P

I have asked to have it removed - back to testing environment it goes. Subscribers should not be impacted by this. Was never the intent.

17. Wow, so now instead of a simple banner asking me to whitelist your page you decide to completely block the page. Now instead of it being called "adblock", it is called "user block".

Good luck.
    upload_2017-11-29_8-41-45.png

18. kendunton

kendunton Edinburgh

They're just taking the pixx now.

19. I just got one very similar - except it had a "log into premium account" below the yellow highlight. I did and it went away - and I sure hope I don't have to do this now on a daily basis.
    And not even four hours later, here we go (again).

How much ad revenue are you going to create when no one wants to be on this site anymore?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    gordonjb likes this.
  20. GP,
    I don't know how the site is run, but if this was a company, and programmers are screwing up or ignoring you like this, I would put them on notice and start looking for another programmer.

To respond, I had to use another computer that the "whitelist" function works.

Vincent Peri likes this.