A Chequered History of the Belmira.

<p>Rather like the CJZ Werra I wrote about in a recent post, the Belmira represents a departure from the conventions of it's era, and while it sold steadily in Europe it never achieved much distribution outside that continent. It began life after WWII in what remained of the Balda Werk company in Dresden, soon to be renamed Optik Belca Werk, and then nationalised as VEB Belca-Werk. First production dates for the Belmira seem to be in 1951, though this is difficult to verify. By the end of the 1956 VEB Balda-Werk had been merged with VEB Kamera und Kinowerk Dresden, (later to become VEB Pentacon), production of the Belmira had been taken over by the Welta division of that concern, and the camera was re-branded as the Welta Belmira. This example bears the Welta brand and must be a fairly late example, as evidenced by the Pentacon symbol on the lens surround.</p>

<p>The first models were distinguished by a most unusually-shaped cut-out for the coupled rangefinder in the face if the camera, this being replaced by a more conventional rectangular shape on later models. However, the shape was retained in the rangefinder patch in the viewfinder, a feature that takes a little getting used to. Just why the designers chose this odd shape, I have no idea. Here's how it looked on the original Belmira.</p><div>00dL1e-557155684.jpg.10c9ba429e46312dfd07b6b03c084315.jpg</div>

<p>Production seems to have ceased in the early 1960's, though I can't find a definitive date. For a camera that had a production run of over a decade, there's surprisingly little information available. However, I can tell you that it's a well-built and very solid camera, possibly more suited to left-handed use with the viewfinder on the right of the camera, and the film wind and shutter cocking operated by a sliding lever on the left back, just below the top deck, reminiscent of the later Pentina. Here's a photograph from the top.</p><div>00dL1f-557155784.jpg.e6cfb501f0180e08b07a8df29d068b23.jpg</div>

<p>The Belmira is very nicely finished in a spare, clinical sort of way. I particularly like the bottom view, showing the bottom release catch and the rewind sprocket release which revolves to reassure the user that the film is indeed advancing. Note the heavily scalloping on the focus ring, a good feature .</p><div>00dL1g-557155884.jpg.aae49b6c9ecdd905cc2bf5e28dd540a7.jpg</div>

<p>The lens is the trusty CZJ Tessar 50/2.8, typically sharp and contrasty, while the Vebur shutter (apparently a copy of the Compur) has speeds ranging from 1 to 1/250th plus B. Overall, I found the camera a little awkward to use, and I spent quite some time trying to work out a fluid operating pattern. The film wind is quick and positive, but I seemed to be forever juggling my grip to perform the various functions. The placement of the shutter release provides a great view of the top of the triggering finger in the viewfinder, unless the merest fingertip is used, though the release itself is very smooth. Overall, the Belmira would rate as one of my quirkier acquisitions, though I was quite impressed by the quality of the images it turned in. Film was Fuji Superia 200, scans from the Fuji Frontier.</p><div>00dL1j-557156084.jpg.ac24745bddac63e29e6bcd2ad7c052ba.jpg</div>

<p>I don't think you're ever going to run out of these oddball post war cameras! So far my favorite is still the Werra. If they had made a 28mm lens I would have bought one by now. ;-)</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>Rick...where do you get these!? I have never heard of the Belmira, let alone seen one...my education has been seriously lacking.<br>

Your usual good shots around your pretty hamlet,and for some reason I'm drawn to the manhole cover! At least our restaurants don't require a password to enter :)</p>

<p>I'm with Tony? Where do you find these oddball cameras that have apparently been stored in time capsules? </p>

<p>The images are up to your usual excellent standards, Rick, and definitely show the Tessar to be sharp and contrasty as one would expect. Thanks for sharing the images and interesting info on a camera previously unknown to me.</p>

Winfried, it is obvious what is wrong, one "prong" is not pushing the arm of the rangefinder far enough. But I need to know if some piece is missing or if it is only a problem of sticky grease.

Unfortunately mine has not the Tessar, but the Meyer Trioplan.

<p>afterrseveral tries<br>

here is my problem<br>

1 could not post in several forums<br>

but<br>

I am simply trying to read and answer my personal messages<br>

i did two<br>

hit a keyin error<br>

and cannot fimnd the proper place.<br>

at this point I will bust post and not care where or when<br>

I cannot see well very bad eyes and the<br>

proper place is invisible to me.<br>

tell m,e where to click to asnswer personal messages</p>