35 mm slide projector recommendation

<p>Hi,<br>

I am starting out in Slide film and would like to buy a 35 mm projector. Saw a few used ones on the net : would like your recommendation:<br>

1) Kodak carousel 4400 projector<br>

2) Kodak carousel 5200 projector</p>

<p>3) leiz/leica pradolux 35mm slide projector<br>

4) hanimex slidemaster 300 35mm colour slide projector<br>

5) <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Argus-35mm-Slide-Projector-w-Case_W0QQitemZ140376567829QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item20af187015">Argus 35mm Slide Projector w/Case</a></p>

<p>6)</p>

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Kodak-Ektagraphic-III-AMT-35MM-Slide-Projector_W0QQitemZ200402305553QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2ea8e88211">Kodak Ektagraphic III AMT 35MM Slide Projector</a>

7)

Rollei 6x6 & 35mm Slide Projector

8)

Minolta 35-Beautiful Compact 35mm Slide Projector

Thanks in advance.

<p>It is hard to beat a Leitz projector. My favorite, and in my price range, was indeed the Rollei 35mm. My biggest criteria, in the old days of projecting slides, was how cool the project ran. The Rollei was very cool, but the Leitz was the coolest of the bunch you mention. One other, meant for 120, but I can't remember whether it also did 35mm, was the beautiful Hasselblad projector. Personally, I wouldn't "burn" any more images with a slide projector. Instead, I would invest in a decent scanner and project images digitally.</p>

<p>In my opinion, the absolute only type of 35mm slide projector to buy is the Kodak Carousel/Ektagraphic/Ektrapro line. From about 1960 until slide projection stopped being common, the market was totally owned by Kodak. The Carousel slide trade was to slides what Microsoft and Windows are to computing today, even more so. Huge cottage industries were built around the Carousel line of projectors (the Ekta models were the "pro" models but were essentially the same). Lenses, remote controls, dissolve units, tape recorder synchronizers, special brackets for mounting multiple projectors for multimedia shows, slide mounts, trays, etc. All of this is still out there and being virtually given away today. Of the ones you list, the Ektragraphic would be the best model but any of the Carousels would work fine. Buy one and you'll have a world full of accessories to choose from to go with it. The Lecia and Rollei might arguably be sharper but are non-standard and will be hard to find accessories. The Argus and Hanimex are consumer cheapies not worth even thinking about.</p>

<p>I owned a Carousel 760H for years but just recently the transport mechanism failed. I opened it up to find that a few nylon gears had dried out and then disintegrated. The Ektagraphic version is more of a commercial or institutional grade of Kodak projector which is designed for hard use. It is a bit nosier than the standard Carousel, but has many great features. My Ektagraphic III ATS has...among other things...a built-in pop-up viewer for quick review or editing. Finally, you can find Carousel trays for sale all over the place...Cheap!</p>

<p>Get a Bell and Howell Slide Cube projector: uses slide cubes, sort of like the clips on an automatic rifle. You can open a box of slides, and drop them into the slide cube, then fire away and enjoy. No need to fiddle around loading a Kodak Carousel or European straight tray type magazine, where you have to individually load each slide, one at a time into the tray. Then unload one at a time. And the trays take up lots of space, compared to a slide cube, which is no bigger than a box of slides.<br />I have both a Leica projector, which uses a Euro straight tray, and a Bell and Howell Slide Cube projector. I pull out the Bell and Howell 99%of the time, as it is so quick and easy to use. Within 5 minutes of getting my slides back in the mail, I can pull out the projector, set up the screen, load a slide cube, and begin enjoying my slides.</p>

<p>I recently had an old leitz projector (which I loved) die on me, and found an Ektagraphic AMT on Fleabay for $50. Well worth it. Upgrade the lens however as the standard Kodak lenses are not equal to their Leica or Leitz equivalents. There are 70-125mm f2.8 golden Navitars going for around $10 right now on Fleabay. Well worth it. Another nice accessory is the kodak stack loader which will take 35 slides in a clip-no requirement for a tray(about $25 on the auction site). So for around $100 you can get a very nice setup which was designed for commercial use and should last a long time.</p>

<p>The German-made Kodak Carousel's are good projectors but do not match the image quality of any good Leica Color 250, C(A) 2500, C(A) 2502, P2000, P2002, or Color 2 projectors. The Kodaks <em>may</em> be more robust, but they play second fiddle in image quality to the Leicas. The European slide magazines are more efficient in space utilization too, and are still available - keep away from the LKM type though.</p>

<p>Not every Leica projector is great - you need the real Leica designed ones as listed above. They also had some rebadged ones from other manufacturers which were not so stellar despite the good Leica lenses.</p>

Robin Smith

<p>I should add that the earlier Leica projectors are excellent too. The issue with older (earlier than c.1975) is that they lack tungsten halogen bulbs so are considerably less bright. If you were to use one of these, this would require a reduction in slide exposure in order to achieve a satisfactory screen brightness which I do not suggest is desirable.</p>

<p>The Rollei 66 projector is an OK projector but not as bright nor as sharp as a dedicated 35mm Leica projector - you may also need the full set of condensors to get it to properly project both 35 and 6 x 6 if I remember correctly, but I am not 100% sure on this.</p>

<p> </p>

Robin Smith