continuous "ring light" for portraits

jeff__2

The Profoto ring flash is beyond my budget. I currently use hot

lights for portrait photography. Is there a continous light source

similar to a ring flash?

I looked at circular fluorescent lights at Home Depot. There is one

that takes two bulbs and is about 18 inches in diameter. The bulbs

are only rated at about 30 & 40 watts. Would this work (if only for

black & white portraits)? Is there another alternative?

Does anyone besides Profoto make a ring flash?

Jeff

Elinchrom, Balcar, Broncolor & Hensel all make Ringlight flash heads or in the case of

Balcar a reflector that turns one of their heads into a ringlight. Balcar also makes light

modifiers called Diamond and super diamond boxes that produce a more diffused

light.

Kinoflo makes a high power photographically balanced fluorescent ring light.

All of these are out of your budget to purchase but you might consider renting as the

job requires.

Plume, ltd. , maker of the Plume Wafer softboxes , makes a nifty and versatile device

called a Stratosflex. which can let you emulate a ring-flash effect with any lighting

source (as well as do other nifty lighting tricks. And it is a lot less than a Profoto

Ringlight. You can see examples and details at http://www.plumeltd.com/stratos.htm

Hm, the fluorescent lights aren't strong, so forget about slow films. What do you mean by watt rating? Conventional bulb aequivalent? Or real fluorescent Watts? It might be worth trying with pushed TMY 120 at f4.5 from a tripod. Building a stronger lightsource from 6 strong E27 fluorescents in areflector with included lensshade and a diffuser in front might be better.

I looked up Kino Flo. http://www.kinoflo.com/sales_catalog_2003/lamps/001_lmp/truematch.html

I am not sure whether these could be used and with what hardware. What aperture would I get with ISO 200 at 1/60 sec, for example?

Jeff

>>

Part Number Type Lamp Diameter Ring Diameter Base Nominal Wattage Lumens

6" Kamio KF32 06C-K32 FC20/T5 .6" (15mm) 6" (152mm) G10q 20 1152

6" Kamio KF55 06C-K55 FC20/T5 .6" (15mm) 6" (152mm) G10q 20 1120

9" Kamio KF32 09C-K32 FC30/T5 .9" (15mm) 9" (229mm) G10q 30

9" Kamio KF55 09C-K55 FC30/T5 .9" (15mm) 9" (229mm) G10q 30

Jeff, Keno's aren't very powerful unfortunately, just a little bit brighter than normal fluorescents. Are you handy with tools Jeff? I've had an idea about making something that would resemble the look of a ring flash, but it requires a bit of craft. Do you know what sauna tubes are? I'm not sure if I�m spelling it right, but they are the heavy duty cardboard tubes they poor concrete into to make pillars. If you got two different diameters tubes, say a 6" and an 10" and cut short sections and fabricated it so the two sat inside one another with a bottom cap on the larger one and somehow float the second smaller tube inside, your strobe would point towards the bottom, bounce and emit light around the gap. The gap between your strobe and the smaller tube would have to be sealed off, and it would all be lined with tin foil of course. I'm making one when i have a minute. Hope this made sense.

I believe Luis is referringto somthing like this:<P>

Calumet catalog # RM5070K <P>

Gary Regester (the head honcho and designer at Plume, ltd.) licenses some of his

designs to calumet to be manufactured by Red Wing. That doesn't mean thaey are

made with the same quality of materials or constriction as Plume,ltd. built products.

I believe Luis is referring to something like this:<P>

Calumet catalog # RM5070K <P>

Gary Regester (the head honcho and designer at Plume, ltd.) licenses some of his

designs to calumet to be manufactured by Red Wing. That doesn't mean thaey are

made with the same quality of materials or constriction as Plume,ltd. built products.

i really like Calumet's guideas to how you might use this product

• 3 months later...