*whine* I can't post anyTHING!

I can't post anything, I wait 5 minutes (literally) for the little

bar to become all yellow and then the page just sits there. I've

spent an hour scanning and resizing them and 20 minutes trying to

upload one! Please please do something, guys- I'm frustrated to the

point of tears and violence. I just want to upload these pictures

and get to bed so I can wake up to lot's of sevens!

HELP!

Have you tried (i) reloading the page, or (ii) checking the folder to which your uploading to - sometimes mine are in there even when it looked like it didn't work via the upload page. If neither of these 2 suggestions works, you're stuffed...! :-(

I have this problem often; PN won't either display a page or the images on a page (happens on pages with images and without). I'm using IE6, and find that deleting the browser's temporary files (cache) usually fixes the problem. Not sure what is being stored in the cache from PN that causes the browser to hang, but the hangup doesn't occur with the initial page that I browse (the forum list view or even the list view of the particular forum that I select), but then does often happen when trying to display a specific thread.

Well, thats happened to me before, Neil but now.. It just sits there. This is the 4th time I've tried in 12 hours. The bar turns yellow; it says "done" but nothing happens. I click over to my folder but the picture isn't there either.

It's possible it's not a PN problem- but I've tried everything I can think of to make it happen my end. I had no trouble loading a picture to the words/no words forum- but when I try to upload to my workspace...It won't work.

I took the liberty of logging in as you and I succesfully uploaded a picture into both your Single Photos and Black and White folders (don't worry -- I deleted them, you've never been to Luxembourg as far as the rest of photo.net can tell). It appears to be a problem with your computer or internet connection.

Is it possible for you to try this on a different computer?

Did you try the suggestion of emptying your browser's cache (restarting your computer may not be enough and particularly Internet Explorer 6 seems to be quite good at making a mess of its cache).

It doesn't seem that photo uploads are broken, and Patrick says he can upload from your account, so your account is not broken either. It is not unusual for an upload to fail, but for it to fail persistently and be totally broken suggests that something has changed on your side.

Can you try it from a different (1) browser, (2) computer, (3) ISP? Are you trying with one particular photo or a bunch of different ones? Is there something different about these photos from the ones you already uploaded? For example, can you upload again a file that you already uploaded once successfully -- the exact same file? Also, try uploading without typing anything into any of the Add Photo form fields, except for any fields that are required.

Thanks for the response Brian. I figured out the problem. I was resizing and/or cropping through my Scanner software because PS is an absolute pain. I saved the images one by one and started to upload. The first one uploaded without a problem. The problem started with the next one. No matter what I did it wouldn't work (as described above) I briefly thought that since I hadn't saved it for the web through PS that it might be the file type. But since the first picture uploaded fine, I disregarded the file type as being a problem.

<P> Eventually I attempted to upload other pictures thinking it might just be a problem with that one; the next few wouldn't work either; but that first one- I uploaded again without a problem. So, I opened up PS; made a few little changes and tried again. Success! I opened up the next one- made no changes but did save for web- Success!

<P> So, the file type was the problem all along. I can't figure out why the first picture ( a.tif)uploaded fine; but oh, well. I switched the rest to jpeg's and didn't have a problem.

<P> Brian- is it possible to have something that recognizes .tif files and lets you know that's the problem? If I recall correctly there used to be something like that. Now; the page just loads and sits there. Sparking hysterics. :P

<P> Thanks again, guys.

Photo.net doesn't want .tif files uploaded. They are a waste of disk space and bandwidth. Jpeg files display just as well and consume 1/10th or less of the room and bandwidth that .tif files do.

<p>

If you're trying to upload a .tif file it's almost certain its way bigger than the maximum allowable file size for photo.net anyway.

<p>

RTFM applies here. Here's a quote "<em>Photographs uploaded to photo.net, either to the Gallery or as an attachment to a forum post, should be JPEG images less than 100k in size and less than 800 pixels in the long dimension</em>". It's linked from the FAQ, which is linked from every page on photo.net.

<p>

Tif files are fine when used locally for storing images and are the best storage method for files you are actively editing and re-editing, but once you've finished editing, save them as a Jpeg and upload them that way.

I'm glad you figured it out. There is some new code that is being tested for the photos uploaded as attachments to posts in the No Words Forum -- which I hope eventually to use in all the forums and in the Gallery. Among other things it warns you if our software doesn't think your image is a GIF or a JPEG. Also, it recompresses/resamples images to a smaller size suitable for display in a 800x600 pixel browser window, but only if they aren't already a reasonable size (in both overall bytes AND pixel dimensions).

Hi, Bob. Thanks for the response. I do know that PN doesn't accept .tif files. Which was why it took so long for me to figure out the problem was- as the first picture ( a .tif) uploaded just fine. I did resize everything to the normal sizes I use (which could be differnt for.tif vs. jpeg) And with the words/nw forum accepting two .tif files without a problem I was even more confused about why I couldn't upload to my page.

Basically I didn't realize they were .tif files at the time. Since a few were accepted; I was just more confused and didn't think about the file type. Once I put them through PS and saved for web (turning them into Jpeg's) I figured it out. Now; I was just wondering if software could be added to the upload page that recognizes unallowed file types and alerts you- as currently the page just sits there after it loads.

Brian seems to have answered my question. Thanks Brian.

Sorry to come off defensive, Bob. It's a deeply ingrained part of my personality. Doesn't want to die.

How big were they? If you checked the filesize before upload (which people really should do since filesize under 100K is one of the upload requirements), it's a good clue, even if you didn't notice the file extension.

Tifs make big files. A 150 x 225 pixel image would already be 100K in size. A reasonable Jpeg of a 150 x 225 pixel image would be about 10K.

Brian's new code sounds like it should fix a lot of problems and it's great news. If we can reject anything but .jpg and .gif being posted (especially to the gallery) and crunch anything oversize down to 800 pixels wide for the gallery and 510 pixels for the forums - as well as crunch files over 100K down to under 100K, I think it will solve a lot of problems, especially if files meeting the specs don't get recompressed. That will make a lot of people happy (well, at least it may stop them complaining quite so often...).

I ws wondering about that after your last post. Whether a 400x600 pixel pic will be the same size in jpeg format as .tif. From what you've said they must not be. So, the pictures I was trying to post would've been pretty huge. Well, in the future I shall make sure I save for the web in PS- before attemptiong to upload.

As usual Brian has the answer; and is coming to the rescue. Thanks Brian- you really are a godsend to us PN junkies. (You,too Bob!)

For over a week I have had similar problems and loading any page of photo.net sometimes takes to the point of failure. Not just uploading also ratings, visiting forums anything realy. Other sites can be visited without any problem. VERY anoying, either you have had an increase of visitors and your webservers, routers etc can not cope with the increased traffic (or your provider) or (since the crashes) the systems running the software and webserver have had a beating and don't perform as well as before. It is obvious that since you had the problems 2-3 weeks ago things have changed for the worse. Anyway, don't expect things to change :). I can live with it, just like with raters.

Tom - I agree with you. I try to do quite a lot of forum administration but things are often so slow I just give up. I'd say that failure of a page to load is now actually more common than the page actually loading. I'm sure Brian's working on it and I can only hope he can figure out the cause. I doubt it's just traffic volume since things seem just as bad at 2am in the morning as at 2pm in the afternoon.

A 400x600 .tif file will be 720 Kbytes in size. 7.2x the maximum allowable. It's just 400 x 600 x 3 = 720000. The 3 comes from the three color channels (R, G, B). An LZ compressed .tif might be 5% to 10% smaller, but it's still huge.

This free soft may help you resizing your photos fast and clean:

http://www.fookes.com/ezthumbs/index.php?2.53

Easy Thubnails, i use it for photo.net, you can customize the resulting size and compression, plus batch procesing and right click "Make thubnail" on any image file in any folder in windor.

No publicity here, is free and i have nothing to do with the creators just thought it may be usefull for others.