Paterson tank light leak???

I am using a Paterson single reel Super System 4 tank and in using

the swizzle stick to agaitate I discovered that I have slightly

fogged film - top side only! When I use the cap on the tank it is

about half as bad - I still have to remove the cap for chemicals.

Going back to my Kindermann or Honeywell tanks eliminates the

problem.

I have inspected the tank with a loupe and no obvious problems.

Could there be sloppy enough tolerances where the tank and the light

trap go together to allow a slight fogging?

Using the same camera, 1/3 of the roll each time from the same roll

of TX400/Xtol, and same changing bag.

Anyone else have a problem with fogged film processing in Paterson

single reel tank? (I just recently purchased the tank on eBay, maybe

there is a clue there - I have yet to receive anything worthwhile

off eBay!)

The reel(s) always slide over a hollow post. The post & reel(s) then fit into the tank. The funnel shaped lid is fitted on. this completes the light tight seal.<P>Are you using the post?<P><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=40337&is=REG"><b>Here</b></a> is a picture of a complete (albeit larger) tank assembly.<P>Are you using all those components?

There is a dark stripe along the sprocket holes that repeats every few inches. In some areas the fog extends down into the frame and nearly goes to the opposite sprocket holes. In these instances it looks a lot like lens flare except it is outside the frame. I also got fogging in the area where the blank frames are advanced just after loading film in the camera.

It always occurs near the outer spirals; never into toward the center of the reel.

Interesting Ron -- wonder if the funnel shaped lid is deformed, defective, mismatched?<P>Are we talking 35mm film, top edge on the outer few layers or completely across the reels top edge?<P>Wonder if it's fog or is it a case of not adding enough developer solution to cover the reel -- I use 300 mls for 35mm or 500 mls for 120/220.<P>Hate to say it but you may have bought a plant pot not a film tank ;>{

Jim,

You brought up something that I had considered. Since I have three funnel tops, I wondered if they got mixed up and are now mismatched but common sense says that these are not precision moldings so I discounted that thought. I will take some measurements, though, just in case. Will post if I discover anything.

Yep, I think you might be right; something isn't quite right and a planter it is destined to become!

Ron -- Excellent reply from you, congratulations to you for two reasons:<P>First -- you saw the problem through to it's origin. In other-words you successfully trouble shot it, you learnt from it.

<P>Second: Those of us that read &/or contributed to your post learnt from it!<P>

To explain -- you had the balls to admit it was something that some would think you were stupid for missing. Many would not have shared that discovery. The rest of us would have been left hanging with vague thoughts like -- the damn lids aren't interchangeable (I swear to God, that one was ready to lurk in the back of my mind till my dying day) or bloody wax build up.<P>Now if a problem like yours pops up again someone may be thinking: Hey! I remember a thread by some guy whose film was fogging. Turned out to be the change bag not the tank.<P>Gold Star buddy.

I actually discovered that the light leak is more insidious than I originally thought. I use a Ross bag and I found that it wasn't the elastic in the sleeves but that there is only one layer of cloth in the sleeves and it leaks light badly.

So for those of us who own Ross bags, we'll have to take Tim's sage advice: Change in the closet.