The right developer Tri-X (1600)

exp.

Hello,

I have a roll of Tri-X that I've pushed to 1600. Now I want to develop

it but know neither what times I should use nor what developer would

do the best job. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should use

in order to have this roll properly developed?

Thanks to ALL!

I've had very acceptable results with TX at this EI using D23 stock for 10 min at 75 deg F. Just for reference I use 30 sec initial agitation and 3 inversions every 30 sec thereafter. This time and temp is the same as Kodak gives for D76 stock, but I have not tried it. I think they recommend 5 inversions per 30 sec. Check their web site. Diafine will work for this too, and I've used it, but prefer D23. There's going to be plenty of grain with either, but it's not ugly, just large. Both print well, IMO.

Dean Williams

I'm very fond of the results I get from Microphen with pushed films. Use the

straight developer (undiluted) and for Tri-X at 1600, try 13.5 minutes at 68/20

degrees as a start. You may need to tweak it a bit, depending upon how you

expose.

Tx @ 1600

I use acufine 70 deg, 10 minutes most of the time.

Occasionally (if I run out of acufine), I'll use X-tol 1:3 for 16 minutes, 70 degrees.

I prefer the Acufine to the x-tol. Others have reported good results with microphen.

You can push Tri-X two stops (to EI 1600) in almost any developer other than a super fine grain type like Microdol-X. My own preference would probably be HC-110, but that's mostly because I use it for everything. If you want grain, lots of grain, then D-76 at 1:3, and double the 1:1 time you usually use. HC-110, dilute to half of Dilution B strength, and double the Dilution B time (which should put you around 10-11 minutes at 20 C), and will produce somewhat less grain than D-76 in these conditions. Some of the speed developers will get almost there (like EI 1250, which is close enough not to worry about) without any special attention -- some of these are two-bath, and very tolerant of changes in time and temperature, though reportedly hard to obtain in some locations.