Negative Fixer Agitation

tony_p4

Well, I must admit to a habit of continuously agitating prints while agitating film only irregularly - perhaps every minute after the initial 30 second agitation.

Never really gave it much thought. The real reason I agitate prints continuously is because I'm just standing there with nothing better to do, while with film processing I'm preparing other things as the film is fixing.

Have to admit that so far I have agitated the same as Lex, with paper at least there is something to look at. I asked the question as I know some people use continuous agitation but have never found a real reason why. Thank you everyone for your thoughts.

For stop and fixing baths I give continuous inversion agitation. Chemical reactions proceed faster if more energy is put in, whether this be by temperature or turbulence. Speaking as a former industrial chemist, turbulence is critical in many industrial chemical reactions to achieve maximum efficiency. I've never run trials myself but it might be interesting if some one compared rates of clearing with continuous agitation as against intermittent, e.g. once per 30 seconds.

I agitate my film the same in fixer as in developer -- but I also fix for twice the time shown on the fixer concentrate bottle. I don't believe that amount of extra fixing time does any harm, my film is thoroughly washed (also twice the recommended time, running tap water w/ frequent dumps and refills, final rinse in filtered water w/ PhotoFlo), and unless my fixer is getting exhausted, there's considerable margin in even the commonly recommended times.