I have two Windows XP computers that I want to connect, so as to

transfer all the images from one to the other. I have a network cable

(RJ45 crossed K0827C). I connect my computers with it. But I can't

settle any new network, or see in any way one computer from the

other. What am I missing?

Thanks,

David

The crossover cable is a good start. All you need to do is this:

- give each machine a unique IP address (e.g. 192.168.1.201 and 192.168.1.202)

- establish an ftp server on the machine you want to get the files FROM (not that complicated)

- on the machine you want to get the files TO, just use any simple ftp app. I think the DOS shell has a basic ftp built-in which would be all you need. Even Web browsers have ftp in them.

If you need more details ask a friend or just e-mail me. I'd be happy to help. Over here we have two windows machines and a Linux system on a LAN, all connected to the Internet via a Linux gateway. Networks are great fun!

Make sure the PCs have different unique IP addresses with compatible subnet masks. I think that by default WinXP will assign these for you.

Make sure that both computers are part of the same workgroup. If they are two different brands they might not be. Make sure the computer names are unique. (right-click My Computer, pick Properties, and check the computer name/workgroup there).

From a command prompt on each type "NET CONFIG SERVER" - check to see if they are set to broadcast their names on the network.

Make sure that there is a matching user/password on each machine - this is what is used to log into each computer.

Good sites for more information are:

www.practicallynetworked.com

www.smallnetbuilder.com

I'd get another cable and a hub or switch to connect them; I'm not sure a crossover cable will work with a typical 10/100 card these days.

I've not tried it but every time I have my laptop and my desktop hooked up to my firewire hard drive at the same time the desktop wants to connect to the laptop (desktop is XP Pro, lappy is currently win2k but may switch soon). Is there not a feature for a direct firewire/ieee 1494/iLink connection between two computers?

I don't know if it works cross OS, but I know two Mac OS X machines can do it and my desktop keeps attempting to mind meld with my laptop, so I presume that feature exists. It would be a simple and quick connection that may be worth investigating.

Just a thought.

The first couple of post are making it overly complicated. Really you don't have to worry about IP's and subnet masks as any computer with Windows 98 or later will automaticly assign itself a working IP adress even in the absence of a DHCP server. Unfortunately beyond that it is simple enough to be a matter of minutes for a knowledgeable person to set up file sharing in a matter of minutes, but can't be easily explained in this space here especially if we don't know how much you know. I really don't wan to spend an hour composing a instruction on how to do something that would take me minutes to do.

If you'd like to know way too much about this topic, and become really paranoid that you've ever hooked your computer to the internet, then you might want to read this...<br>

http://www.grc.com/su-bondage.htm<br>

Personally, I use a Linksys router for my home network as it shares internet access with both computers and provides a very nice firewall to sit them behind...<br>

And try the Shields Up! page at the same web site while you're there...it will tell you a lot about what your computer looks like to everyone else on the internet...<br>

Cheers !

A lot of disinformation here....as usual.

-Setting a network card in XP to DHCP will get it's IP address from ....uh...where? Ther magical IP fairy? By default this will force the network card to substitute it's own, which with two different boxes is unlikely to be even close.

-Of the half dozen firewalls I currently work with only *one* blocked the lastest Blaster worm, and that was an expensive Watchguard that most of us couldn't afford. Linksys, Netgear, D-link and the rest do little other than block your IP and some service ports.

-Shields up is dated.

Use to be you could fall back on good old, clunky NetBEUI to network two windows computers since by default the client installed on Windows boxes. With XP and Win2K though only IP gets installed which is both a good thing and a bad thing. At least you couldn't route NetBEUI so some kid in Russia couldn't see you drive shares :-)

The easiest way to connect two XP boxes is with the cross-over cable, setting two manual IP addresses in the same subnet such as 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2, and putting the machines in the same workgroup. Also helps to turn off Microsoft's worthless firewall.

Wow. Lot of info here. Most pretty good, here�s another idea.

First, go pop for a switch. LinkSys, Belkin, DLink, what ever. Most are good, all have the chance of being junk from time to time. I�ve used them all at one time or another. I currently have LinkSys, and have heard more issues with DLink than any other. Again, I point to my �Most are good�.� statement.

Run network cable from both computers to the switch. Plug in the switch, check to make sure you have lights on the switch at each cable, and on the computers (assuming you have a nic (network interface card) with lights on it. (Note, I would not go wireless. Not if you intend to do a lot of file transfer, and want it to happen fast. Also if you go wireless, you place your self in the position of being an access point to everyone in your neighborhood. Basically anyone with a wireless lan card (NIC) can access your network. Or the internet through your switch.)

(The instructions here will be a bit vague, sorry I�m running Win2K at work and don't have the exact info here. If this is still an issue I'll send you some screen shots and instructions from home later. Just shoot me an email.)

Next go into the XP Control Panel on one of your machines, if your on a dial up, make it the one that connects to the internet. Something like Start/settings. Find the area to configure the network. It's pretty simple wizard. Make sure the computers are uniquely named. Pay particular attention to the question about machines connecting through this computer. Once you get done answering a couple of questions the wizard will go to work and set up the machine. This includes making it a small DHCP server. After words go to the other computer. Find the same wizard. This time make sure you chose the option that the computer connects through another computer. It wont ask you what you want to connect to. That�s the job of the DHCP. When it asks for work group names. Just use the default. Makes it easier later when you add more to the network. I usually forget what i name it, so last time through just kept the default.

Once you get it all hooked up, you simply open windows explorer (right click the start button, and click Explore). Scroll down the drive list as necessary and find My Network Places then Entire Network. If you've done it right you should see the other computer. One the source computer you will want to right click on the folder you want visible to the network, then choose sharing. Follow the directions. Next time you browse to the box, from the destination, you should see the share name.

If this doesn�t work, fire me an email, we'll take it from there.

Steve

Hi David, Just a thought, but IPX (Novell NetWare's protocol) doesn't need an IP address at all - it takes it from the MAC address on your network interface card. It doesn't suffer from the security concerns that NETBEUI does. XP supports IPX as a network protocol and it's easy to set up. Best wishes . . .

Hi David, <br>

How many of these two computers are currently on the internet, and how many of them would you like connected to the internet once you've got your local network running ?<br>

And how are you connected to the net...56k dial up or high speed ?<br>

I would think we'd need at least this information before suggesting a way to network the two boxes together...<br><br>

Carl: I thought my warning about reading that link was pretty clear ;)

It's amazing the sheer number of PC's and servers I fix simply by *removing* IPX and NetBEUI (in the case of Win95/98).

Another reason I hate XP; those stupid wizards that don't teach you anything. If you're male, and know how to hook up a stereo, knowing where to set an IP address in Windows is a passage of manhood. Once you do it you'll appreciate knowing how to do it. Without knowing how to do it you'll be at the mercy of vendors who want to sell you USB ethernet connection and other supposedly 'easy' fixes that are notoriously far more problematic than they are worth.

Scott,

I can't beleive how hard it was to convice my current employer to dump IPX and NetPhooy. We run on a Novel backbone and it took darn near an act of god to begin the transistion.

Poor guy is not really looking to become a network guy, just wants to get his machines talking to eachother. I personally hate the wizards also, but do feel theres a place in this world for them.

Steve

For the majority of computer users those wizards are a life saver. We don't qualify as being part of that majority. If you know even the slightest bit about computers you'll know they gloss over the important details, are rediculously obvious fixes or are things we're probably running/doing already on our machines.

For the average joe however they just might be enough to remind him to check and do a few things now and then. And to set his computer up so it will at least work.

Thanks all for your answers. I'll try my best!

I just want to connect a few times my computers (a labtop and a regular, office style one) to share files quickly (including, at least first, gigas of images, so that CDs are not convenient, and I don't have a DVD burner).

I don't need to access internet from both. Nor to access internet while I am sharing files.

For the moment, I haven't found out how to set up IP adresses (so as to just use my crossed cable by directly linking the 2 computers). Nor ho to set-up an ftp-server on one computer (is that really needed?)...

I realize all this must be quite simple once one know how to do it, but...

The websites have alas been little help : I couldn't find tutorials; or one website was just explaining about WIndows 95, 98 and NT - but not XP...

One suggestion(assuming the NIC's are configured correctly) would be to check the pins on the cable. Should pinout as follows. 1-3, 2-6, 3-1, 6-2. The rest won't matter. Another, you could try a 4-port ethernet hub(Very cheap)or a DSL router and connect both PC's to the hub with straight cables. IPX is also an option.

To Steve Moss:<P>

In my experience (working with Novell NDS trees with over 3,000 servers), employers that still run Novell don't care about making things work better in the first place and are about 5-years behind the curve. This is highly off topic, but Novell's buggy clients have caused me more corporate Windows platforms crashes than all other issues combined, and you have my sincere sympathy for having to deal with Netware. <P>

IPX = bad. Mixed protocols = very bad. As for Mac addresses, think of them as the VIN number engraved on your dashboad vs your license plate (IP). <P>

<I>For the majority of computer users those wizards are a life saver</i><P>Well, if that were true, then why can't he get his computers to talk to each other, eh? It also takes more steps via that stupid XP wizard than simply right clicking on network places and right clicking on the protocol and setting an IP address for each machine. The Windows wizards also don't take into account other possible problems like what duplex mode the card is in conflicting with each other. It's the difference between setting your camera on full auto vs using manual exposure and at least learning something beneficial. <P>From my point of view, if you have enough interest to connect 2 computers together and aren't an 80 year old grandma you should have enough interest to learn some basic networking. It then becomes a conceptual piece of cake to share printers, drives, and hook up another computer and share an internet connection. A local DSL provider is pressuring people to buy their nasty USB/Ethernet connections as a result of the surge of computer users with XP but little network knowledge.

David, there's a lot of info in this thread, and much of it is beyond what you require.

The one point that has been missed by most is that you will have to turn on sharing for at least one drive letter in at least one computer. I strongly suggest that you do NOT turn on file sharing in the computer that gets onto the internet, as it may allow outsiders a path into your machine. Assuming the laptop never gets on the internet (for this example), I would turn on sharing for a drive in the laptop and then use the desktop to access the laptop. Then, in the desktop you will want to (temporarily) map a drive letter to the laptop's shared drive. Then you can use the desktop to transfer files from any place on the desktop to/from the shared drive in the laptop.

All this requires that you set up both computers to talk to each other. Unless you get a router that has built-in DHCP server capability, you will need to manually enter IP addresses in both machines (such as 192.168.0.1 for one and 192.168.0.2 for the other with both subnet masks set to 255.255.255.0), and make sure that the workgroup name is the same for both machines (the default is usually WORKGROUP).

All that said - if the laptop is a company laptop, set up for the company's network, you may have some problems making the changes. You might want to consult the company's IT folks for help there.

<i>If you're male, and know how to hook up a stereo, knowing where to set an IP address in Windows is a passage of manhood. Once you do it you'll appreciate knowing how to do it.</i>

<p>Oh c'mon, real men use unix, NFS, SCP and SFTP for file sharing ;^))

<p>Seriously, the knowledge that a) you must set an IP address for both machines so that the v, x and y in v.x.y.z being same for both machines and the IP-addresses being private addresses b) setting netmask to 255.255.255.0 and c) making a folder "shared" in Explorer will make simple SMB-sharing for a home network easy. And I agree that the wizards are crap, especially since home users typically don't run DHCP servers themselves, but it seems MS has always been one step behind in the networking trends for home users...

David:

Setting up a home network is something I have to do from time to time, but I never get it straight the first time. However, some advice:

1. Make sure the computers are talking to each other through the cable. XP should recognize the hardware changes on each computer and the systray icon should tell you that the connection speed.

2. Make sure the two computers are named and have different names.

3. Make sure file sharing is enabled on at least one of the computers.

4. This is where I get hazy, but in Windows Explorer, under Tools/Map Network Drive/ you should be able to \\computername\sharedrivename\ and be connected.

5. If that doesn't work, try the network connection wizard.

In addition, the following web site has some good information.

www.homenethelp.com

<I>but it seems MS has always been one step behind in the networking trends for home users...</i><P>I agree totally, but Win3.1 was hopefull :-).<P>XP has many great features including built in PPOE, multiple IP address capability, dynamic IP changes, etc., but the interface is too dumbed down and actually counter intuitive in terms of networking. I spend a lot of time coaching end users throught VPN, dial-up, remote Citrix connection and others, and I know what the worst village idiot is capable of comprehending. Comments to me like 'wow, that was easy, so how come XP made me go the long way?' are common. This isn't like we're doing a manual 'add route' or something.<P>The bit above about drive shares being available to anybody on the internet via a broadband connection is bordering on the hysterical.