Connecting two Windows XP computers?

Skip,

Actually I think I did indicate the quick steps for sharing on the source computer. Also, you don't need a switch with DHCP. XP facilitates making one of the computers a DHCP Server automatically, allivating the need to mess with IP addresses for the average home user.

It's really a pretty painless operation. Hook em up, two wizards to configure the network, one more to share, and he's done.

Well, good luck David, theres a lot of info her. Most of it is pretty good, though colored through the experience of the writer.

Steve

Here I have about a dozen boxes on a peer to peer network. I used all manual IP addresses; when the "auto" settup didnt work well. These boxes are DOS/WIN3.11FWG; WIN98SE; NT4.0, WIN2000; UNIX based fiery;. for scanners and printers. All these boxes are settup up to dedicated boxes; their is little traffic; no server. <BR><BR>The XP box we got; when connected up to the group; could not find any of the boxes; with their XP wizard. The WIN2000 wizard does find the other boxes. They we tried manually adding the workgroup; and a good IP address; this still didnt work. Microsofts XP wizard then came back with a message; that they recommend that all ones computers we using XP. Curently I use a USB memory jump drive; or burn a cd; to transfer files to and from the XP box. Maybe a parallel lap link is in order for the XP box; I wonder if it is still in XP. We are currently rebuilding our XP box to use WIN2000; having spent way too much time with the constant XP lockups. <BR><BR>A bad cable can also drive one nuts in installing a network. I have had a few flaky ones over the years; and one will spend a huge amount of time; over a lame cable.

The differences between XP and Win2K in regards to administration and stability can be quite dramatic as Kelly has indicated.

Windows XP was designed for the home market or client end of a corporate backbone. It's a dumbed down, overly obtuse version of Win2K that shares a nearly identical kernel. To be honest, and this is no insult against Mac users; if you really need a wizard to be launched every time to help you through basic tasks then please buy an Apple product. The only reason XP is gaining in popularity over Win2K is two words: product activation.

In regards to the DHCP dilema above: by having one XP box establish itself as a psuedo DHCP server via a browser election only creates more problems down the road. At some point you'll be adding a DHCP enabled router, or perhaps remove one of the boxes from the network forcing another round of 'who's going to be the DHCP host today'. Either put a static address in, use a device or server that can handle a properly managed DHCP table, or install NetBEUI. Again, I don't see this conceptual dilema in regards to right clicking on the IP protocol and putting an IP address in.

What have I done wrong?

I have a desktop with XP Pro and a laptop with XP Pro which I connect with the LAN Crossover cable (or whatever it's called).

I have set the IP adress to 192.168.1.201 on the desktop and 192.168.1.202 on the laptop (subnet being 255.255.255.0 on both).

I right clicked "My Documents" folder on the laptop and shared that folder on the network.

Both computers have the workgroup "HOME".

I have the same username and password on both computers and the computernames are different.

I used Map network drive on the desktop to the folder "\\192.168.1.202\My Documents".

The computer is "thinking" for a while, but then it says that the network path could not be found.

What am I doing wrong??? I feel I have tried everything.

I also have another desktop computer with Windows 2000 Pro. Doing the same thing as above with this W2K desktop and my XP laptop I do manage to connect the two computers, which I guess mean that the cable is alright.

Strange enough though I can only see the shared folder on my W2K desktop from my XP laptop, but I cannot see the shared folder on my XP laptop from my W2K desktop. (I don't care about this problem with my W2K desktop, I just meant this as additional info)

I also tried the wizard but with no luck.