Yet another yellow filter question

peter_kim2

The posts discussing filters with B&W film have made for some

interesting reading. The concensous seems to be that yellow filters

absorb its compliment so it makes blue skys stand out more. My

question is, is there any reason to keep it on at all time? I've

always been told it should be kept on all the time because of the

historic blue sensistivily of B&W films.

So I guess my question is does keeping a yellow filter on always

increase contast (or for that matter help to improve skin tones), or

is it only helpful outside on sunny days?

Well, keep it on all the time if you like it that way. Panchromatic films don't have the same sensativity to all wavelengths, most senstive to blue, and least to red. This is most pronounced with older emulsions (such as tri-x), but exists in all film (that I've ever worked with anyway). The yellow K2 filter (which is what you're refering to) will roughly cancel out the differance, giving a relativly "normal" rendition. Hope that helps.

Peter

Yellow filters absorb blue therefore darkening anything blue or illuminated by the blue sky (ie. shadows). However, with todays wonderful polluted skys, yellow filters aren't generally up to the task. It often takes something in range of an 21 Orange to give us the same effect that 8 yellow did in the past. If I really want to darken the sky and make clouds "pop" I usually go even darker with a 23A Light Red.

Yellow for use in skin tones would depend a lot on complexion. My worry for light skinned people is that it may show veins at little darker. Personally I don't use filters for people unless I'm trying for some type of special effect and the use of make-up.

The yellow filter doesn't always increase contrast. It could reduce it just as easily depending on the subject colors. You can read in the filter/film books that use of the yellow filter makes the film respond more like the eye. If you can afford the light loss, and feel there's some reason to do so, sure, you can leave it on. Personally, I don't use a filter unless there's some specific reason and logic for doing so. The yellow filter is usually too mild for my taste in clouds and sky. Red is often too much, but there are some orange filters that are a nice compromise. Remember that any filter used to darken the sky will tend to darken the shadows- they're illuminated mostly by skylight. Sometimes the standard filter factors aren't sufficient to get good shadow detail, so do some tests with your filters under your conditions.

There are a bunch of different yellow filters. Most have mentioned the #8 but the range is very wide. From almost clear [#3?] to very dark #15. Each is a little different then the one next to it.

It's helpfull when you want to reduce blue. If you've got no blue light it doesn't matter one bit.

Keep in mind that most modern lenses are multi-coated and this reduces flare and improves contrast. If you place a filter in front of the lens, it's a good idea to get a high quality multi-coated filter, especially if you keep it on the lens most of the time.

As others have stated, a yellow filter has less effect indoors or on an overcast day outdoors. If you really want to noticeably darken a blue sky (a technique very frequently used by landscape photographers) you will want a deep yellow or orange filter, which is not appropriate for shots on overcast days or indoors.

Dear Peter,

Put it this way: a yellow filter almost never does any harm, and much of the time, it does result in a more pleasing tonality (though none of the explanations I have ever read is totally convincing). A light yellow (1.5x) lives on my Retina IIa at all times except very low light levels -- and the argument that it won't matter in low light levels warrants serious consideration -- while I can't remember the last time I used a 200mm without a light orange (2.8x).

The idea about a YG is good too, but again it's more light loss.

Cheers,

Roger

Once upon a time back in the 1950s it was recommended to use ayelloe filter at all times to compensate for the dip in the repsonse curve in the yellow-green region of the spectrum. These days b+w films are more responsive in the yellow-green region but a yellow filter is worth using. I ran some trials recently to compare yellow, yellow-green and green filters on foliage for landscape photography. The yellow (K2) produced a noticeable effect, the yellow-green (X0) very slightly more and the deep green a smidgen more than that. Personally I'd recommend the yellow-green.

You know what, it depends. Personally, I think you need to do the experiment for yourself. I don't use a yellow filter, unless I specifically want it (like if there are clouds in an otherwise blue sky and I don't want to overdramatize the effect). It doesn't seem to make much difference otherwise, with the B&W films of today. I tend to put it on if it's an especially low contrast day or scene. Otherwise, it's just something else to eat up light for little gain.

I prefer to keep the yellow filter on all the time as it produces a more "natural" monochromatic rendering of colors.

What pushed me to this: I photographed a scene with red, white and blue bunting around a stage, outdoors, on a sunny day. The red and blue stripes were captured as nearly exactly the same shade of gray when no filter was used. It looked weird and drew my attention to the effect.

Hi Peter...

Only use any colored filter when one is needed as a correction. To leave it on all the time makes little sense at all, and it just adds another layer of possible glass reflection and cuts your film speed. Incidentally, you will never see the difference that a yellow filter will make in a portrait -- pro or con. Green filter, yes -- yellow filter, no.

bob

• 3 years later...