Beginner Photographer, Travelling to China

chilisweet

Are you looking for advice on equipment or places to shoot? I can help a little with the equipment, and not at all with the locations.

This may be too broad a question for this forum, hard to say, it depends who is around and sees it. If you like, feel free to email me with any questions since this is liable to be a pretty long dialog.

A lot of people have helped me out on Photo.Net and while I'm not as experienced as most of them, I do know enough to help, and I'd be happy to provide any assistance I can as a way of contributing to the site.

Mac

Something 'mechanical' in operation: i.e., a Nikon FM2n or FM3A body;

two lenses: a 24-50mm, and a 105mm if you are into 'portraits.'

If you have a good supply of AA batteries, a Nikon N90s or N8008s body would give you autofocus and 'Matrix' metering. The same range of lenses (but of the autofocus variety) would give you something to use on your trip, without weighing a 'ton' throughout the day.

I have lived and worked in China on and off for about a decade now. My advice to the first timer is to go as light as possible. Bring a wide angle lens and plenty of film. The N90s or something like that is perfect. A zoom lens is very useful there as well.

You need to be more specific in what kind of information your looking for in order to get a more useful answer.

Good luck and enjoy.

Jen,

I had a similar opportunity in 1986. I went on a tour to shoot a documentary film of

the 1960's surf music group, "Jan and Dean" in China.

I went out and bought a Canon Shure shot camera with a fixed 38mm f/2.8 lens.

It was a great choice!

Today I would suggest the Olympus Stylus Epic with the non-zoom lens. It is only

about $80 new. You can buy two!

You will use your camera a lot more if it is easy to take everywhere, and does not

attract a lot of attention.

Here is sample shot from that trip:<div>007kFf-17119284.jpg.2308d9989badcf71ff12c877e4b01686.jpg</div>

Hi There,

I actually just got back from China- here's my tips.

1)I really wished I would have had a wide angle there.

2)If you're not going to Beijing or Hong Kong I recommend NOT developing your pictures there. I was VERY disppointed in the quality of prints I got there.

3)Remember camera's attract ALOT of attention from everyone overthere. Try to tone it down as much as possible. Keep your camera in your backpack until your going to use it.

That's all I can think of for right now. Have fun! Oh yah, make sure you make your travel plans for Tibet BEFORE you go over there (or, alternativly, fly directly into Tibet) I had a heck of a time orgainizing travel plans with a Chinese travel agency while in China. Quite strict!

Hi Jen,

<p>

I actually live in China, Beijing to be specific and I must admit I havent travelled to the western side of the country yet. However, with that said, photographing in China is pretty much like photographing anywhere else. Mainland Chinese are often not interested in having a camera pointed in their general direction but that attitude becomes better as you move from the cities to the country side.

<p>

As for film - selections are not good outside of Hong Kong - decent processing can be had but if you dont know the right places to take it 95% of them are questionable and not only produce bad prints (not a big deal) but Ive never seen so much scratching of negatives as here.

<p>

I shoot a lot in China and work with a Leica rangefinder exclusively and find a 35mm and 90mm work well as my primary lenses, with a 15mm and 21mm for when wide shots are called for. I know others are suggesting some long lenses which Ive never felt the need for here, however, I do often work in very close with people I dont know and as you have just started in photography this may not be a style you feel comfortable with.

<p>

"Pull the camera out of your bag when your ready to shoot..." its what works for you personally but my experience is that pulling it out is what attracts the attention; if its already out, yes they know you have a camera, but if youre not fiddling with it too much nor paying them too much attention you'll tend to find people drop their guard reasonably quickly.

<p>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=380913">A little bit of Northern China</a><br>

<p>

regards<p>

Craig / Beijing

Hi,

I have to agree with Craig that you can't keep your camera in a bag till you are ready to shoot. Yuo will miss alot of good shots that way! I have lived and travelled in western China (Chengdu, Sichuan) for much of over six years now. If you want any specific advice then please just ask.