janet cull

I just processed a roll of Neopan 400 (120) film. I always

rinse/soak the film before I put the developer in the tank and this

time when I dumped the water it was black! I went ahead and

processed it as usual in D76. When I finished and looked at the negs

they look very dark and like they've been poked all over -

indentions, not holes all the way through. Has anyone ever had this

happen? Thank you.

There is an ongoing debate as to whether or not it's necessary and advantageous to presoak modern emulsion films. You can search the forum for the pros and cons of presoaking. The black water is probably a dye in the antihalation backing. Without seeing an example, my guess is that the indentations are air bells.

This is the anti-halation dye washing off. With some films it washes off in the pre-soak, with some it washes off in the dev and with others it bleaches in the fixer. The indentations in the film are nothing to do with this. I'd suggest that these have either occurred during manufacture or in the camera.

do the indents look more like kinks? this so often happens when loading film that youre not so used to loading (ie 120) - but then again maybe you have loaded hundreds before.

i usually get a black or pinkish dye run from a presoak with some film types. no big deal really...

Pre-soaking comes from the days long gone when films had thick emulsion layers. The pre soaking "opened up" the emulsions so that developer could migrate to the middle of the emulsion layer quicker so development would be more even.

Not really needed with thin emulsion films. But it won't hurt to pre soak thin emulsion films either...

To pre-soak or not to pre-soak, that is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind ... - sorry! wrong speech. I pre-soak. I didn't used to and occasionally I'd get bromide streaks or mottling on the film. So I started pre-soaking and since then I've never had a problem. Now, maybe it was just coincidental. Maybe if I'd chosen to wear moleskin trousers on that day and everything had turned out fine then I'd wear moleskin trousers every time I developed a film. Some people regard pre-soaking as only one step up from voodoo. But it works for me so I continue to do it.

I soak my TMax 100 for 5 min. on a Jobo processor. It is recommened

by the company to keep the temp at 68.My soak water does come out

dark but not black. Never saw any problem with soaking. But when

I used to use trays and did not soak, never had problems there

either.