Old Panatonic-X development

magic1

I boss just left a couple of rolls of Kodak Panatonic-X (35mm) with

a note asking me if I can develop them for him. They were taken 10-

15 years ago so I would imagine that I need to push development and

add something to try to limit base fog. I have full access to

anything developers and chemicals at Photographers' Formulary (I'll

be there next weekend using their darkrooms).

Any help is appreciated. P.S. I usually use PMK myself, but I don't

think it probably best for this application.

I'd recommend a low-fog developer like HC-110 over D-76; there should be no problem with loss of speed or fogging from age, but there could be some effect depending on how the films were stored. And I wouldn't suggest pushing -- of the last two old films I processed, one was Verichrome Pan from 1979 or 1980, the other Plus-X from about the same period, and the only problems I had were related to the Plus-X being underexposed originally. Neither was pushed, both were printable. Additionally, pushing Panatomic-X will likely give so much contrast you produce prints that look like they were made from lith internegatives; all white and black, no midtones to speak of.

Last year, I developed a roll of FXP120 that I had shot in the 1980's, and it came out fine. Stored at room temperature the whole time. Came out fine -- except for the camera shutter problems that caused me to decide not to pay anyone to develop it for me.

I use Ilford DD-X, and picked a time of 6:30 at 67F. But don't buy special developers, just use the book time for whatever you have.

Just guessing but I'd probably give it a shot with Microphen. Even in extended development (half an hour) I see no evidence of unacceptable fogging. Probably help retain as much of the original speed as possible. Acutance with reasonable grain should be good.

I'd use it straight up as stock solution, no additives or additional restrainers.