*ist AF Adapter

fju

according to the pentax website, there is an adapter available for

the *ist which will allow autofocus with manual focus lenses (look

under specs; useable lenses). has anyone seen or used this device

yet? i have not seen it in any stores.

Hi,

The adaptor will only ALLOW the use of manual focus lenses with the AF body. You should have "focus assist", meaning a confirmation of focus. As you mentioned, it will be useable, but not AF.

An adaptor that will allow AF on manual lenses is theoretically possible but would cost an arm&leg to r&d and to buy. The same goes for a camera body that does the focusing and not the lens, so that manual lenses can be used as AF (Contax tried this).

Enjoy

I know it from old days when the SFX came out. It's a aprox 1.7x telemultiplier wich has a lens mount or similar moved for-& backward by the AF. It only works with fast lenses f:2.8 & faster. This + *istD crop factor 'll make your fisheye nearly a portrait lens. Enjoy it at Zoo & Footballyard.

I have one. It is a 1.7X teleconvertor. It does not work with screw mount lenses but will work with faster lenses, the literature suggests the lenses have to be f2.8 or faster, but it works fine with my 200mm f4 macro. I believe someone once noted it may not be able to focus really huge lenses (like the 400mm f2.8 A lens). It is a teleconvertor but I would note that it is an excellent teleconvertor as good as my 1.4X-S.

I purchased mine used many years ago and they are still around in the used market; I'm not certain if they are still being produced (a quick look at Boz's web site can answer that). They don't focus lightning fast (as fast as a normal autofocus lens), but it's pretty quick.

• 3 weeks later...