1600 Speed Film - what is it used for?

Asha,

It's used to capture images. Where and when you use it is up to you.

It could be generalized that this speed film is used in low (or lower) light situations or where the photographer does not have a lens with a wide aperture and needs faster shutter speeds.

I recently used it to photograph my girlfriend's dog at an agility match (jumping over hurdles, etc.). It was held in a horse pavillion (covered with open sides), and her dog is fast, requiring 1/500 or faster shutter speeds to prevent blur. Obviously flash is not an option, since we don't want to blind the dog! 1600 was just right for shooting with my 135/2.3 and 200/3.5 lenses.

Here's my reply to a similar post asking about many different film/speeds... "First, consider film speed, regardless of the specific film qualities. Slower films are best, especially for big enlargements, but sometimes you need a faster film because of subject movement or camera movement (handheld). This is because you can use a faster shutter speed with the faster films (a fast lens helps also) You really need to understand exposure to make sense of all this. have you read the Learn section here on photo.net? There is a good article on Film that will ge you started. After you choose a films speed (for a particular situation) then get into the specific film qualities, and also consider how the film will be used (some films scan better than others) Ignore all generalizations, like "good for zoom lenses", "for good depth of field", ect. This is meaningless and confusing! Film speed is directly related to exposure (lens aperture and shutter speed) The lens aperture is chosen for the depth of field needed, shutter speed is chosen to avoid motion blur issues (subject movement, camera movement) Finally, consider what light will be used... sunlight, shade, artificial lights, moonlight, ect. and choose a film that works well in that light (or combination of light)

" I noticed you have posted many questions recently, and understand your excitement, but have you taken any time to read the articles and archived discussions here on photo.net? There are many answers waiting for you... just look. You should start with the Learn section and also use the Search (of photo.net) Did you even read through some of the other threads in this forum? I just posted that response recently... anyway, please be patient, and do some reading. Anyone, using any camera, even a "point and shoot", should understand the basics, especially exposure, or nothing else will make sense.

You could use 1600 speed film to capture the worthlessness of a war. or you could use it to prevent a war. I like it for the creative grain you can get from it.I also like the idea that I have an extra stop or 3 when I use it on a dark street. It is like anything in photography or art. it is a tool not everyone likes or can use every tool so get a roll shoot it and see if it is a tool for you.

I just bought a few rolls of 1600 to shoot in volcano national park at night. Thoought I could use the extra speed. If I am wrong, I will have 12 rolls of 400 and 10 of 100 in my backpack to have fun with also.

Asha, film is relatively cheep. By some, shoot it, make up your own mind and most of all have fun!