hp5+ @400 in Rodinal 1+50: time?

Please help, I have relatively important roll of HP5+ shot @400 and

need to develop it in Rodinal. I decided for 1+50 but I'm confused

about times. Ilford materials say 11mins and Agfa (developer

instructions) says 15. This is big difference with similar recommended

agitation. So please does anybody regulary use this combo? The roll

was exposed in sunny weather and I would like to get normal contrast.

I usualy agitate first 30 sec. and then 2-3x every 30 seconds.

Thanx in advance

It depends also on whether you are using a condenser head enlarger or a diffuser head. I would agree with the Agfa time but I would suggest four inversions in the first 30 seconds, one inversion at the end of the first minute, then one inversion per minute after that. The reduced frequency of agitation will limit highlight density.

Jakub,

<p>Seems you have already decided on using in Rodinal, nonetheless I might mention that my own experiment with HP5+ in Rodinal (1+25) showed it was a poor combination (grainy), worst of all that I have since tried for HP5+. After a while I made up my mind that Rodinal is good only for slow films (like TMAX, FP4+), but not for fast films. Perhaps 1+50 dilution is different. Since you asked the question, I suppose you have not tried the combo yourself before. If the roll is really important, perhaps something more mainstream, like D76 or HC-110, would be safer?

Jakub:

This is not a good combination if you're talking about 35mm film. I tried it and don't like it. Now I reserve Rodinal for larger format and slower films. Shoot a test roll under similar conditions, cut it into three sections and develop them separately in Rodinal for 11, 13, and 15 minutes. Don't be surprised if the resulting prints are not up to your expectations. Agfa's recommended times are a bit on the high side and tend to produce very contrasty negatives.

Thank you all for suggestions. Maybe I confused you with "need to", I sould have written "want to get maximum sharpness and economy is also important." I normally use D76 1+1 and it is good but here in Czech Republic D76 is expensive (ID11 as well) and I saw some prints from HP5+ developed in Rodinal - grain wasn't fine, but grain structure looked nice and also sharpness was good. I'm sorry for my poor english.

Jakub H* , feb 11, 2004; 09:39 a.m.

Thank you all for suggestions. Maybe I confused you with "need to", I sould have written "want to get maximum sharpness and economy is also important."

Thank you for explaining. As several others have said, this is not an ideal match. Paterson Acutol is a better match for both best sharpness and fine grain. I recommend that highly for HP5.