what do we think about t-max developer??

I've used it a few times, and it's ok. But that's it, it's just ok. I don't really see any advantage over D-76/ID-11 or XTOL and it is relatively more expensive if you use it one-shot. I think this developer was really designed from the start to be used in replenished systems that get a lot of use, not really for the low volume home worker.

From the old SNL skit, it makes a great floor wax, drain cleaner, and dessert topping. No, forget the dessert topping. I believe there are still two versions, plain and RS for replenished systems. I've used only the plain version, and didn't find anything special about it. It's energetic and recommended by Kodak for pushing, something I rarely have a need for. It seemed expensive compared to other developers and didn't work any better on t-grain films, for me anyway. I'd be careful in assuming the RS version is the same until you find someone who's used both.

The only thing I've found that it does really well is to develop Delta 3200 as a normal film with an EI of about 1000-1600 with normal (i.e. not flat) highlights. I couldn't find a good developer for Delta that didn't leave the highlights looking dull and flat until I tried Tmax (actually I tried Tmax RS). I think Delta 3200 grain is a little finer Ilford's speed enhancing developers (DD-X and Microphen) and speed seems about the same.

I've never really used Delta 3200 at 3200 or above. At higher speeds, Tmax might be too contrasty and something else might be better, but to get normal looking negatives with good shadow detail from Delta 3200, Tmax is a good choice.

I only use it for t-max films with temps and times reccomended by Kodak. I hardly use it lately.....back to Tri-x and D76 for important work. I keep some Tmax developer for whenever I need a small amount of developer for 1 or 2 rolls and quick turnover......but lately when I need B&W fast...I use Ilford XP2.