Tips for Street Shooting

john_boyle3

I think everyone of us has our comfort zones in the streets. SOme photogs don't feel easy with certain subjects. They don't like going close. That doesn't mean they are not good photogs in the streets. It's just their nature of being. I think we should respect that.

WHat some other great street photogs do is, well, their business. We don't have to emulate others. Do it the way you want to. Yes, there're no rules, even shooting tourists.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<i>I think everyone of us has our comfort zones in the streets. SOme photogs don't feel easy with certain subjects. They don't like going close. That doesn't mean they are not good photogs in the streets.</i><p>

Well, actually, Travis, and with due respect, the difficult thing about art in general - and street photography in particular - and I think this is the point Jeff and Grant were making - is the requirement to get out of one's "comfort zone" in every way, if one wants to progress and make better pictures. It really is true that "if your pictures aren't good enough, you're not getting close enough." There's a difference between blending in to obtain a fly-on-the-wall perspective, and blending in out of timidity. And only you, the photographer, know for sure which is which (though the truth will eventually reveal itself in your photos). <p>

For me, an important thing is to sometimes force myself to get in people's faces with my camera. And I expect that's true for most street photographers at some point. Most good ones, anyway. You can't really let yourself off the hook if you want to go forward.

Doug, thanks for the insights.

My only contention is that getting out of comfort zones and sticking a camera into faces don't necessarily make better pictures, although not across the board of course.

Personally, If I don't get too close, it's seldom out of timidity, but more out of respect for my subjects.

Im sure others work differently and behave differently in the streets though. Looking at how others work throught their pictures is quite a learning experience for me.

cheers

Doug, thx. Those guys are wonderful.

Anyway, I guess at the end of the day, for most of us, how close we want to get to the subjects is not a measure of bravery or timidity, but more to do with our shooting styles and what kind of pics we want to get in the end.

Are street close ups always better than say a few feet away, it's subjective.

My comfort zones are always changing anyway.

Grant asked why I don't like pics of peoples' backs...I dislike them because they're usually boring (not always, but usually). And most (not all) people who shoot them are "chickenshits," to borrow Jeff's term -- they want to shoot on the street but end up with scads of pictures which were obviously all made with one common goal -- to allow nobody to notice the photographer. Such an approach employs a detachment and fear which rarely lead to good photography. Someone who has none of that fear is often able to produce interesting shots of peoples' backsides, but it's rare.

Thx Allen.

I want to know, since this thread is still active, who here had been beaten up because he/she went out of his/her comfort zone, got real close to take a picture of a thug who obviously wasn't too please?

How many stitches did you get? And was it worth it?

<i>I want to know, since this thread is still active, who here had been beaten up because he/she went out of his/her comfort zone, got real close to take a picture of a thug who obviously wasn't too please? </i><p>

I've been threatened, at very close range, by people much bigger and much tougher than me, and probably carrying weapons. I've had them put their hands on the camera and tell me I wasn't going to take any photos. It probably was a result of shooting in a neighborhood controlled by gangs, but they didn't seem to care if I took photos without them in it.

Only one guy swung at me and that was more as an indicator of what could happen than anything real. One guy did seem to want to take the camera with him, but I just stood my ground. You can't really do much else.

If I had taken photos, I might not be here today, although I have plenty of fairly benign shots from that neighborhood.