Tips for Street Shooting

john_boyle3

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's interesting, but I'm not sure I agree with it all. For example:

<p><i>Shoot in public places, especially where there are a lot of tourists</i><P>

results in lots of photos of tourists. When's the last time you picked up a book of good street photos filled with tourists?<p>

I think there's better advice on some of the threads on photo.net's People Forum.

giving tips for anything usually requires an understanding of what level the 'student' is at.

<p>

the articles advice is probably good for the beginner that has never tried shoot anything but people they know, or trees and mountains.

<p>

the best teacher is experience, so going out and just doing it would most likely work best.

Pick up any good book on street shooting (such as Bystander, or a book of photos by Robert Frank or Alvarez Bravo) and look at the photos. What you see are photos of what interest us, and it's not tourists. Tourists are occasionally interesting in how out of place they look, but generally they're inert objects that sink a photo.

Good street shooting takes a lot of practice, as Grant points out, but, more than that, a love of being on the street and a feel for the rhythm. It's sometimes pointed out that great nature shots come from people who love and know nature, and the same thing happens on the street. You have to be comfortable working on the street, even (to get a little zen), to become one with the street. Then the photos will happen.

Unfortunately, too much time gets spent on equipment and all that, but until you've got that innate feel for what's going on, the equipment won't even be useful.

<p><i>"the best teacher is experience, so going out and just doing it would most likely work best."<P></i>

Grant,

<p>I don't disagree that this is a good way to learn. However, it is always better to instruct a student prior to any practicals. Like every endeavor, there are always things to know, cautions or shortcuts that can be shared prior to actually venturing out.<p>

<p> <p>

<p>Please don't take offense to this post, none is intended. I really enjoy your photography. I'm a fan, not a critic. :-)<p>

<i>However, it is always better to instruct a student prior to any

practicals. Like every endeavor, there are always things to know,

cautions or shortcuts that can be shared prior to actually

venturing out.</i><P>

If I followed the advice given in the initial article, I wouldn't have

gotten the vast majority of the street/candid shots in my portfolio.

The ways of approaching street photography are about as

numerous as the people practicing it--one person's "good

advice" might be completely counterproductive for someone

else's approach.

"What you see are photos of what interest us, and it's not tourists."

<p>

<i>US?</i> Who are you speaking for, other than yourself?

<p>

Grant shot one of my favorite street pics and it was nothing <i>but</i> tourists hanging out on museum steps. A photo is either attention-worthy or it isn't; does the subject really matter?

One particularly great thing about shooting among tourists (and there are several great things): you are taken for one of them. In an area frequented by tourists, people are often less camera shy, because there are so many cameras. (This doesn't hold, however, in areas frequented by both tourists and <i>touts</i>.)<p>

Ray, I really love that shot. Travis, your stuff is getting better and better. Allen, that first shot is a winner. You were close enough, apparently.