chris_rini1

Hi,

I've been playing around with b&w for a couple years but am finally

taking a photo class with darkroom access. They provide Xtol. My

favorite film is APX 100 in 120 size. Most people recommend using

Rodinal. Has anyone tried Xtol either straight or in dilution and if

so what were the results? Thanks a lot.

Chris Rini

Chris...I prefer both APX100 & APX400 in Rodinal but I'll also soup 120 APX in Xtol 1+2, 68 degrees, 14 minutes, 10-15 complete gentle inversions in the first 30 seconds, 2 complete gentle inversions every 30 seconds for the remainder of development.<P>This produces easy to print negs with good shadow detail and sharpness.<p>Note:<p>Kodak recommends a minimum of 100 mls of Xtol stock per roll of 35 or 120 or 200 mls of stock per roll of 220.<p>Kodak no longer recommends dilutions of 1+2 or greater.

To get back to the original question, I have processed a boat load of APX 100 in Xtol. The results have been contrasty negs without blocking up the highlights. I have not been processing the film myself but using my local lab for the processing. They have also been processing APX 400 for me with simular results. I think that what I have been finding gives credance to another threads about using prolabs that use Xtol because they don't use the small batch mixtures, and that this can make a big difference in the processing.