Which polaroid back to buy?

francois_brahic

Mechanically they are the same the differences are:

545 -- older model, all metal, a good deal heavier, easier to disassemble and more repairable (see www.skgrimes.com)

545i - newer model, part plastic and part metal but still solid and sturdy, cannot be taken apart like the 545

Bottom line for studio use get the best deal you can find on either one; for field use get a 545i the weight does matter.

Hi Francois if you can find a 545 get it. they stoped making them. They are metal and

yes they do go back together if you drop one. the 545i most of time break on impact,

the processor lever will break off. I own both for my studio and I never had replace a

545 but we had to replace alot of the 545i. If you found new 545 let me know where.

So I'd personal go with the 545. But if you dont see droping one it may be cheaper for

the 545i

I think your choice for the 545 is the best decision. There will come a time that

you will need to take it apart (I didn't realize the i version couldn't be taken

apart) to clean the rollers because of the buildup of gunk. Having this buildup

will make your polaroids lose part of your picture or have inconsistent results.

When this happens, open and clean the roller with alcohol and they will be as

good as new.

Francois.

Some of the answers provided erroneous information. The 545i can indeed have the rollers taken out to be cleaned. They were in my hands before I started typing this post. Also, the 545i does NOT have a built in thermometer....... that would be the 545 PRO model. The only problem I've had with my 545i is that sometimes it malfunctions and I get NOTHING on the film. I've only used the Polapan 52 and 54 film (B&W positive)with mine. Keep in mind, too, that the even though it is a 4x5 back, you'll only get a 3 3/4" x 4 3/4" image.

Good luck!

DG

Hi Francois!

I have really been confronted with the same decision you are currently facing. Hope I can be of some help!

I do have a Polaroid 545 back that I no longer due to the cost of materials. I am a "seasoned" citizen and materials cost is an important consideration for me (fixed income).

For the above reason I checked Polaroid materials cost for each of their 4X5 backs. The Polaroid 405R (pack film) back was my selection. The media quality is certainly not comparable to the 545, 550 backs, but it works fine for me (test prints for commercial work) using the much ceaper Polapacks (600 series). Hopefully this material will not be discontinued by Polaroid now that I own/use the back. I believe the Polapacks cost about$10 retail for ten shots. The 550 sheet film (depending on quantity purchased are about $45 for 20 sheets). The 545i sheet film is about $30 for 20 sheets. All of the Polaroid backs are generally available on eBay at various times.

Material cost is the "driver" for me and the 405R is adequate for my work.

Best wishes in your search!

Regards,

Jim

B&H stocks these backs (current price $84). A short time ago they were $63, but prices do change quickly today.