attractive. The lack for the cost of film and processing is nice on

a student's budget.

I like the F100 for its build quality, flash sync speed for macro

photography, reputation, lens compatibility (can use AIS lenses; I

have the 105 f/2.5 AIS). I also like slide for its ease of storage,

relatively quick editing on a light table (I can take a look at 36

slides all at once on a 18x24 PortaTrace). The drawback is the time

it takes to scan slides. Scanning is a second generation image as

compared to the first-generation digital image.

My subjects range from landscape to people, and everything in

between. I also do a lot of macro photography. At the moment, I am

dabbling in portrait. I know the Fuji S2 Pro produces beautiful

portraits.

I need some insight into which camera is better for me at this

point. Any thought?

I am D100 user. The only problem I have with D100 is recording time.

If you shoot JPEG, it wouldn't be a problem. I shoot NEF which is quite slow. When exposure is slower than 1/2" with Noise Reduction you have really to be patient. I did nightscene shot with 20" or 30" shutter speed and I have to wait at least 20 secs recording time per frame (before you can trip your shutter again). just pain in the ass.

I'd wait for D200 though. I like digital. I significantly improve because the fact i can shoot more and more frames without thinking I have to spend $$$. Instant review is great help to correct mistakes. I learn instantly.

I can easily upload my pics to show them to my friends.

I did some shooting with the D100 and the S2 (as well as the 10D). For me the ISO200 on the D100 was a small limiting factor. I just like shooting with ISO100.

The things that I liked about the S2 were; the ISO100, compatible with current Nikon TTL flash (cheaper alternatives for macro flash available), the SuperCCD does deliver on the 12mp quality IMO, ability to use standard AA sized batteries, better "heft". This that I didn't like; the larger size (used to shooting with Leica M at the time), slower RAW conversion.

Things that I liked about the D100; smaller than the S2, Nikon Capture software offers great abilities. What I didn't like; lack of ISO100, required a whole new flash system (had access to an older SB-28 and non-Nikon macro flash).

Despite what some have said, I felt that the build quality between the two were on equal footing. Since I would have had to buy a new flash system, and I was interested in ISO100; I went with the 10D for my use. If I had to have made a choice between the D100 and the S2, and leaving out the ISO100 factor, I still would have gone with the S2. And that was with the shortcomings that I mentioned. The quality of the images were a notch ahead IMO of the D100. And I found that the 12mp mode does give very good looking images. Even DPR made a point that the 12mp was very usable.

I am sure that some one will correct me, but I believe both can take AIS lenses. But neither I believe meter with AIS lenses. It is my understanding that only the D1 series have that ability.

In the film vs. digital area, I did a side-by-side test of my N90s shooting Provia 100F and my Kodak DCS 760 (6.1 MP on an F5 body) using the same lenses and settings. I fully expected scanned film to blow away digital, but it turns out that digital was slightly better. My film equipment went on EBay.

As far as the D100/S2 is concerned, they both are great cameras but the N80 body leaves something to be desired. The only reason holding back my purchase of the 14n is that I've gotten so used to the F5 that the N80 is a real step down. Perhaps Nikon with come out with a D2X based on the F5 that will be the next step for me.

I haven't used the Nikon F100, but I have an S2 with the Nikon 17-35 zoom and have been very pleased indeed. It focus down to about 9 inches which is in the near macro range. It's a very good piece of kit that produces excellent images. They are far better than what I get scanning 35 mm film or slides. And, it's so easy and quick.

cheers,

Joe

• 4 weeks later...

I have both the N80 (F80 in Europe) and the S2. First I discovered the cheap Nikon zooms are not good on the S2, and the images are a bit "soft".

Now I use only the S2, keeping it at ISO-100 and no camera post-processing. I'm getting excellent results with a Nikkor 85 f/1.8 for portraits and a Tamron 19-35 for landscapes / groups. Now I'm looking for a 28-80/85 f/2.8 from Tamron or Sigma to complete the bag (for now).

It takes time to get use to settings, digital images are not the same you get from films like Provia or Velvia, but with some practise you get what you want. I mostly do post-processing in PS.

Get your N80 repaired! you need a backup body and film still has great rewards.

• 1 month later...
I have the Fugi S2 and I'm very happy with it especially in controled lighting situations like portrait shots and outside shooting. It uses the Nikon lens so your ok there and I feel that for portraits it shoots up with the higher dollar cameras. I have the Nikon 24-85 F/2.8 that goes macro and like to shoot butterflys at Portlan Zoo and I get excellant photos. For portraits I use the Hyper Utility software and connect to my laptop shooting in Raw CCD and the results are amazing. Its just an all round great camera for the money. In all fairness I have read alot of good about the Nikon D-100 and I'm sure its a good camera to. As far as digital versus film I'll only say that the digital camera will make you a better photographer because you'll be able to shoot alot more photos and see the results immediately so if your not happy you can try something differant and figure out what works.

• 3 weeks later...

I have previously owned a F100 for quite a few years. Shooting anywhere from slides to negatives. Since Dec of last year. I have moved into Digital. Bought my S2 Pro. Put the TTL Flash Problem aside (Check www.s2pro.com forum for more details). I like the camera in every bits. I sold my F100 2 months ago, and decided to stick with digital only for now.

Yes, the F80 body on the S2 is no comparible to the F100 body. But depending on the photography you do, the S2 can be alot better.

For those who found the inexpensive zoom lens don't work well on the S2 (Soft images). I think it is because you don't nomally make bigger prints from you film base camera.

As we normally view our digital images at 33%-100%, and this is much bigger then viewing a 4x6 prints from our negative. If you would to compare them at the same size, you will found a inexpensive lens would look soft on either film or digital.

My opinion on the S2 is, it has less noise then film (especially at ISO100-400). I have produce quite a few beautiful prints @ 13X19 w/ the Epson 2200. The requirement is Tripod + Carefully focus + Prime Lens.

Eddy

• 4 weeks later...
Nikon have annouce that they will stop all 35mm R&D. So film era is coming to end. S2 pro is one camera with a big file size CCD compare to cameras on it same price bracket like D100 or 10D. I have all three camera and found each have their pros and cons. But I going to choose, S2 pro is still the camera I will going for as it image quality is the best among these camera. There also some talk of a new S3 pro coming up around Feb 04